I bought a 1990 Les Paul Studio the other day, and one of the pickups was cutting out on me. So I brought it to a tech, and he checked the wiring, re-soldered some things, and so on, and concluded that the pickup itself is faulty. It's the bridge pickup, which would make it the 498T I guess.

So I'm going to buy a new pickup. Any suggestions? I play electric blues/blues rock type stuff, and I wasn't real happy with the sound of the 498T when it worked anyway (the 490R in the neck position sounds incredible though). Seemed a bit thin and twangy.

I'm thinking I want something with a nice hot output, for lead and soloing stuff, but how will that affect my sustain? As I understand it, hot output = stronger magnets = less sustain.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
brustbuckers. don't know what they sound like but thats what are in a standard and everyone seems to like them.
Well I've actually heard a burstbucker, and it's pretty damn good for that Paul tone.

But Nath, you oughtn't just recommend things because you've "heard" they're good.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
i was just throwing that out thier he should try to play the pick ups he wants tp put in his paul.
Quote by forsaknazrael
+1
Good advice.

What kind of music do you like, threadstarter? Like, specific bands do you want to sound like, to help us know what tone you're looking for?

I listen to all kinds of music, but what I'm looking for out of this pickup is something that would work well for soloing - so sustain, clarity, etc are good features. Heh, I'm not really sure how to describe what I'm looking for.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I find that things mostly useless. Recommend the JB/Jazz combo for a lot of things...

^^Well, what artists would you like to sound like?

I don't, particularly. I can give you a list of artists whose soloing tone I like, but they're fairly divergent players who use very different methods to get their sound - Slash, SRV, Dimebag, etc...

But I'm not trying to sound like any of them. I really just want a pickup that'll give me a good clear, strong output. I can make it sound how I want via amps and effects, but I want a pickup that'll give me a good starting point. The neck pickup on my LP is great in a lot of ways, but it's a bit dark. I want something that sounds "good" like the neck pickup (though I don't know how to define good, exactly), but with a more fiery sound, more harmonics, etc. The one in the bridge position now has a kind of "crackly" quality to it that I don't particularly like.

GoDrex: thanks, I'll check that out.
Okay...I'm just going to through out some ideas...

If you want PAF on Steroids tone...check out the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 or the Dimarzio Breed. The Breed is fatter, but the Custom 5 has that sweet top end sizzle I love. Both make great bridge pickups.

If you're looking for a slightly brighter neck pickup, check out the Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59. It's a normal PAF type tone, which still goes a long way.

I find that PAF tones are the most versatile of pickup tones.
Is there any way for me to try them before I buy them? I mean, I can't just walk into Guitar Center and start swapping pickups in and out.
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I'll post back here when I make a decision.