ok here it goes... ive recently bought a Peavey Valveking 112 50W tube amp but, since a play a lot of metal and metalcore im gonna buy a new pedal... the question is... should i buy an overdrive or a distortion pedal?

also tell me what pedal would u recommend...
Mmh, I'd get a Marshall DriveMaster. But that's just me

Metal = lots of gain
Distortion = more gain than an OD

You should therefore go for a distortion rather than an OD.
OD pedal. The amp has a natural tube distortion circuit. The OD pedal just makes it work harder...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
I think the right OD + tube amp = sex.

However, since you play metal, I'd just go with the Distortion. However it's up to you.
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
^ Yea. go for a Bad Monkey OD or a Boss Blues Driver. Maybe look at the new Steve Vai pedal. If you take your VK's natural OD and crank it up some, then throw an OD pedal in front of it as a boost, you should be able to get some good sounds out of it.
Other solutions exist :
- A clean boost pedal
- Active electronics in yer guitar
won't add distortion Mackin. I suggest distortion; OD isn't going to be near as powerful as distortion
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
The point of a Boost/OD is to push the amp into distortion.
A plain volume boost WILL add distortion to an already overdriven amp.
Know how the higher volume your amp has, the more overdriven it is?
When you put a boost/od in the signal path, it increases your volume (also, if it's an OD, itll add it's own brand of drive), thus increasing your amp's overdrive higher than without a boost.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'm pretty sure, not 100%, but pretty sure that AN OD PEDAL DOES NOT PUSH THE TUBES. All an od pedal does, just as distortion pedals do, are clip the diodes replicating a distorted sound.
Now with that being said, go with an od pedal, not because it pushes the tubes, but because it adds gain while still being able to use most of the gain from the amp. Using a Distortion pedal in front of a clean channel isn't as bad as most people will say they are as they are nearly the same thing as an od pedal, the clipping of diodes before the signal reaches the amp.
When im using my tube screamer as a booster vs a distortion pedal as a booster it sure does sound alot better.... How can this be? Yall are 100% correct a volume booster or even eq pedal can give your tubes a boost. But were the distortion/level boost falls short is the Overdrive pedal is designed for boosting the level and overdriving tube amps and more thought is put into the way its made and whats it being used for. Thats why the tubescreamer tightens and has those nice mids. And your run of the mill distortion pedal is well a distortion pedal. It has one goal in life and thats to clip....
i use a tubescreamer and the lead channel in my vk for metal. its more than enough gain
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
+1

And as of tonight i use a modified Tubescreamer...... Just finished modding mine, didn't take to long to accomplish and it sounds amazing. And when i kick in the Modded MXR Distortion Plus i did yesterday. The BEAST COMES ALIVE!
Quote by Mackin
Mmh, I'd get a Marshall DriveMaster. But that's just me

Metal = lots of gain
Distortion = more gain than an OD

You should therefore go for a distortion rather than an OD.

fail in this instance.

The Valveking has plenty of gain, an OD will be fine, maybe just an EQ pedal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
fail in this instance.

The Valveking has plenty of gain, an OD will be fine, maybe just an EQ pedal.

I never tried a Valveking, I was just assuming that it lacked distortion...
...About using an EQ pedal, good idea ! A lot of guitar tonezs were shaped with eq's : think Kerry King or Tom Scholz of Boston(in the old days).