u ever start playing so,thing and all of a sudden in a zone that u cant just get into on purpose? Its weird i cant describe it. I play then next thing i know im in a trance making something and i want to go back and do it again but cant.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
^ all the time. not much you can do about it except record it and try to figure out what you did.
Keep some sort of recording device around, WHENEVER YOU'RE PLAYING. I'll stumble upon an amazing progression, or riff, only to forget it minutes later...SO annoying.

I think part of it is just not really "thinking" about playing, per se...it's more like being free; I can't really describe it either. But I've definitely been there. With music, and with lyrics.
Quote by chinese_jazz
Keep some sort of recording device around, WHENEVER YOU'RE PLAYING. I'll stumble upon an amazing progression, or riff, only to forget it minutes later...SO annoying.

This is a good idea.

It also doesn't have to be anything special, I just use the recorder on my cell phone. Quick and easy.
yea, it's awesome.

and I hate when I come up with something really good in one of those and forget to record it
yeah. really good players like yngwie and such are in that groove all the time.. that's why they're so good
It IS called being "in the zone".

I think it's something you can achieve any time you pick up the guitar. A lot of it
is the confidence built on preparation (practice) combined with being totally in the
moment. I can generally get there more often than not, but not always. It's why
you have to be a master of your mind as much as the instrument (although there
may not be a lot of difference there).