im 13 and i started taking lessons again after i stopped for avout 3 years. ive been playing guitar for 8 years. so while im playing some stuff, my guitar teacher says i am playing too much with my thumb or something like that, and in about 10 years if i keep playing like this my life will be over as a guitarist ill get tendenitus and wont be able to play as fast as i am now. i play fast metal and picking stuff, so i was wondering how i can stop playing like my teacher says i am playing too much with my thumb. i still want to play fast metal when i grow up. so can some1 tell me if they kno whaats going on with my picking, and how i shoudl correctly do it. lol sounds tupid but very serious to me.
and also when i play after a while my forearm aches is that normal or should it feel sore somewhere else?

help
OMG!! YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think you'll be fine. just try playing with your thumb on the back of the neck for a while and see hoe you like it
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
What do you mean exactly by playing with your thumb? Are you fretting with it? IMO there's nothing wrong with that. If you're just hanging it over the fretboard I also don't think there's anything wrong with that but some people consider it poor technique. The "proper" way is to have your thumb on the back of the neck. I frequently fret with my thumb and usually have it hanging over the neck, but I probably put it on the back of the neck almost just as much. All depends on what I'm playing.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
^^if your playing metal then yeah you definitely need a pick... the thumb just wont cut it.

Edit:^ i hear playing with your thumb draped over the fretboard is better for the wrist when playing while standing up because it allows the wrist to be straighter
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by Schneiderman
What do you mean exactly by playing with your thumb? Are you fretting with it? IMO there's nothing wrong with that. If you're just hanging it over the fretboard I also don't think there's anything wrong with that but some people consider it poor technique. The "proper" way is to have your thumb on the back of the neck. I frequently fret with my thumb and usually have it hanging over the neck, but I probably put it on the back of the neck almost just as much. All depends on what I'm playing.

again talking about my picking hand
if it's your guitar teacher that's said this, then shouldn't you be asking your teacher this?
It really pisses me off when people who "teach" say these things, but do not back what they're saying or justify their reasoning.
Quote by latinosuperstud
^^if your playing metal then yeah you definitely need a pick... the thumb just wont cut it.

Edit:^ i hear playing with your thumb draped over the fretboard is better for the wrist when playing while standing up because it allows the wrist to be straighter

hey dude im talking bout my picking hand and my teacher i think he means that i strum or pick i use my thumb too much as the main force .
Sorry about that. In that case, yeah, for fast stuff and especially metal a pick is pretty important. But you should be able to get by without one for in case you drop your pick in the middle of a song or something.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

What're you doing? Fingerpicking? Cause I'm pretty sure there's only one way to hold a pick and it definitely involves the thumb...

...Either way, why not ask your guitar teacher next time you see him/her? They can show you the proper technique and you can practice it.

EDIT: Oh I see, you're using your thumb as the driving force behind the sweeps. Maybe he/she wants you to hold your pick differently? *shrugs*
Quote by xfallchildx
hey dude im talking bout my picking hand and my teacher i think he means that i strum or pick i use my thumb too much as the main force .

Relax your hand, use your wrist.

Edit.
...Make no fapping jokes.
You're right, I'm having difficulty deciphering exactly what you're asking about. But I've addressed the two basic thumb related issues that came to mind when trying to read your post so I don't know where to go from here.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

i get what your saying. you explained it really bad, but your teacher means move your wrist of your picking hand, not your thumb. keep you thumb still.
Yeah, he's moving his fingers instead of his wrist.

So like I said before.
Relax hand, move wrist.
Quote by xfallchildx

u gotta use ur wrist.
Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

Quote by #1 synth
i figure as long as its not a puppy it's fair game for my penis.
Well if it works fine and you can get as fast as you need to go, then don't change unless you know for sure that it will mess up your thumb.
Quote by xfallchildx

If I understand you correctly then you should use your wrist instead of your thumb, nothing should move except for your wrist joint.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
its impossible to play speed metal and use your thumb to pick....
try to be a little less ambiguous in your first post. and there is a little thing called a "sentence" in the English language, which separates phrases, making things easier to read. if I were you, i would spend money on English lessons rather than on guitar lessons.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
I tried doing that and it feels incredibly unnatural. Just talk to your teacher dude
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Quote by xfallchildx
im 13 and i started taking lessons again after i stopped for avout 3 years. ive been playing guitar for 8 years. so while im playing some stuff, my guitar teacher says i am playing too much with my thumb or something like that, and in about 10 years if i keep playing like this my life will be over as a guitarist ill get tendenitus and wont be able to play as fast as i am now. i play fast metal and picking stuff, so i was wondering how i can stop playing like my teacher says i am playing too much with my thumb. i still want to play fast metal when i grow up. so can some1 tell me if they kno whaats going on with my picking, and how i shoudl correctly do it. lol sounds tupid but very serious to me.
and also when i play after a while my forearm aches is that normal or should it feel sore somewhere else?

help

Takayoshi Ohmura and I call BS on your teacher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6E25uX0kuk

You'll be fine as long as you don't pick too hard; if you want hard pick attack you may have to start playing from the wrist.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
No, you're fine.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
the hypothetical tendonitis would more be a result of grasping the pick too hard AND trying to move it.

"moving fingers" alone is irrelevant. if not then i'd say even worse for your fretting hand.
i have a 'white guitar'