hey all.

Unfortunately for me, with exams and the like in school, I've been told that I can't get an electric guitar just yet, and that my sole focus should be on school. I'm obviously going to negotiate, because I can't wait at least 10 months. At the moment though, I'm doing as much research and looking around as possible, so that when I get my first electric and amp, I'll be making the right decision.

Anyway, on to my question.

I've heard a lot of people talking about the Yamaha Pacificas and their quality, but the focus has usually been on the lower end (112J) Pacificas. What I'm wondering is: Compared to a Mexican Strat, are the higher end Pacificas worth looking at? Will the 612V or 812V rival a MIM Strat?

Also, feel free to throw in some other Strat-style suggestions.

I understand that some of you might say "Get a MIA Strat". That's cool, but the MIA Strats are going to be out of my price range. As a general rule of thumb, I don't want the guitar to exceed about $1000 Australian, about 930 USD.

That is all, thankyou.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
I would go with a MIM Strat. You can customize em more and change out parts much easier and cheaper than on the Pacifica. And MIM Strats are incredibly versatile.
To me at least, the order is roughly like this:

USA/Jap Fender > Pacifica 612/812 > MIM Fender/Pacifica 412 > Pacifica 112J > Squier Standard

The 812V is comparable in quality to a USA Strat...amazing, considering how cheap it is.
i have a pacifica and it's a very good start guitar. i got a new SG, so i installed a killswitch in it. it's still reliable, and i've had it for like 2 years
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Pacificas are nice guitars, especially the higher end models
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Keeping in mind that I'm not going to be purchasing another guitar after this one for god knows how long, are you saying that the Pacifica is worth a look?
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Absolutely. To me they feel much more 'pro' than the equivalent Fenders, and are ideal for pickup upgrades. I really wish they did some tele-style guitars other than the Mike Stern.

In fact, I've got about 10 or 12 guitars now and I still get out my first axe, a Pacifica 012, quite often. Granted, it's been modified a bit over the years...
Quote by Lynchworm
Pacificas are nice guitars, especially the higher end models

agreed. i haven't tried a 612, but i'd say an 812 would annihilate an MIM standard fender.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pacificas are great guitars for the money. IMO they are very comfortable to play. I really like the neck of the 112.

Most Pacifica users I've met or read are pleasantly surprised by the quality of their budget guitar. A Pacifica fat strat is extremely versatile due to its hss configuration, so you could be happy with it for some time.

My biggest beef is the vintage whammy bar -- anything more than subtle use will throw your guitar out of tune. But fenders without floyd roses have the same problem ...

You can customize [strats] more and change out parts much easier and cheaper than on the Pacifica.

What are you talking about? Which parts are easier and cheaper? Are you speaking from experience?

From what I have seen the Pacificas are great platforms for mods. I'm very pleased with how my Pacifica 112 plays, so I'm planning to swap in some new pickups. There have been several posts here and at Harmony Central on the range of mods made to Pacificas.

Fenders might keep their resale value better, if you care about that. I think the Yamaha guitars tend to be overlooked/under-rated because they don't have the marketing image of name brands like Fender or Gibson.
Quote by kyle62
To me at least, the order is roughly like this:

USA/Jap Fender > Pacifica 612/812 > MIM Fender/Pacifica 412 > Pacifica 112J > Squier Standard

The 812V is comparable in quality to a USA Strat...amazing, considering how cheap it is.

I would Tend to agree althought the last two are subjective due to the inconsitancy of Squier. Some Standard strats will be alot better, wheras others may not. But for value for money Pacificas all the way.

The 612v is v.good i've owned one but never gelled with it. It didn't make me want to play it, i can't really explain it, but i was never inspired by it.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
pacifica's are all around great guitars..and plus i think the 612 and 812 are stocked with seymour duncans
Quote by thebl@de
pacifica's are all around great guitars..and plus i think the 612 and 812 are stocked with seymour duncans

612v only has SD humbucker
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S