what is a good and simple chord progression for harmonic minor practicing?

what are the best chords to use? (i.e. minor, major, minor 7ths, major 7ths, etc.)

i want to start expanding my soloing capabilities

thanx!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
A really simple, basic one would be i - iv - i - V - i, or variations thereof. It's not hard to pick up, you can make diminished chords out of four different chords in the mode ( ii, iv, vi and vii), use V+ for a greater resolution/ pull as well.
Harmonic Minor lines up like this: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7#

I don't think it'd sound great over major (1 3 5) or 7th (Major 7th: 1 3 5 7) chords, just thinking about how the chords line up with the scale. The thing you have to look out for is that raised 7th. So basically, almost any 7th chord won't sound good over it. It won't sound good over major because of the b3 (I suppose if you were playing the relative major, it might work. I don't feel like trying it right now).

Minor chords (1 b3 5) would work fine, because they line up with the scale. Just not a minor 7 (1 b3 5 7).

If I got anything mixed up, please correct me. I'm still learning all this crap
It should work over an A min/maj7 chord.

BTW Avedas it's 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7. I see what you were thinking though, harmonic minor differs from the natural minor in that the b7 is raised to a natural 7. I may know the formula, but applying theory and putting it to good use is the hardest part of learning/knowing it.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Oh yeah, thanks, didn't look right. May as well disregard my post for the most part than
At least in rock music, harmonic minor is not usually used exclusively. A common minor progression is Am G F E. The first three chords are easy enough, just play A natural minor, but that E major chord contains G# which is not in the A minor scale. However, it is in the A Harmonic minor scale, as are the other notes, E and B, so A harmonic minor would be appropriate. It will give a cool, Spanish sound, which is probably why people started doing it.

Avedas: Unfortunately, a lot of what you said was wrong. That's alright since you're still learning, but I would like to warn everyone reading this thread to kindly ingore his posts (don't interpret this as condescending).

At a glance, here's what's wrong:
1. Harmonic Minor Scale's intervals are 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7. Please write things relative to the major scale.
2. Minor 7 chords are 1 b3 5 b7. 1 b3 5 7 is a chord, but it is written m/maj7. That kind of chord actually does go with harmonic minor.
3. Harmonic minor sounds good over major chords, but not the 1 chord. For instance, A harmonic minor would be silly over an A chord, but fine over an E chord when it's played in a song that's otherwise in A minor. In other words, if your progression does E B C# A, don't play A harmonic minor over the E chord.
Start from the minor chord of the fundamental, on the 4 - 6 area switch on minor on the 4th, on 5 - 7 area you need the dominant major (maybe with the 7th if you like it...)
Quote by bangoodcharlote
No, not really. You wouldn't play A Harmonic Minor over Amaj7.

Maybe Emaj7? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
A Harm Minor over E7 works very nicely, but not Emaj7.

Thats the one, my bad. Thanks bangoodcharlote
lolz powerchords?? (1,5)
A lot of heavy rock lead guitarists use the harmonice scale,also add13,add6 chords ....correct me if I'm wrong but it would sound pretty cool b/c the harmonic has a raised 6th compared to natural minor
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
^That is wrong. The 6th is the same in harmonic and natural minor; the seventh is a semitone higher in harmonic minor, however.

Add6 chords would not be the way to go, since the 6 and b6 would clash.