Can this thing be quiet with it's built in power attenuator? or am i going to have to go buy a separate one? I play in my house and i'm about to go to college, and i need really low volumes to play...will this attenuator work? at least for my house?

Windsor Studio
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
I think so. That attenuator should take it down to around 5w, so it should be quiet enuff for home stuff.
Quote by qotsa1998
I think so. That attenuator should take it down to around 5w, so it should be quiet enuff for home stuff.

I hope so. But even at 5w(tube) i can't max the volume. It's not really a problem though.

I wish i could try this thing for myself, but even if guitarcenter had it, i couldn't test the volume properly in it's large room and other players playing.

Also, does this amp even have a clean tone? i know the half stack didn't. if it doesn't, i probably won't even get it.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
No im pretty sure its still a single channel amp, its pretty much the combo version of the head.
Quote by SomeDude49
I hope so. But even at 5w(tube) i can't max the volume. It's not really a problem though.

I wish i could try this thing for myself, but even if guitarcenter had it, i couldn't test the volume properly in it's large room and other players playing.

Also, does this amp even have a clean tone? i know the half stack didn't. if it doesn't, i probably won't even get it.

It'll have almost no headroom, but if you keep the preamp volume near 0 and use the master volume instead, you should get a slightly overdriven clean sound. You won't be able to play anything clean live, but for bedroom practice it'll work fine.
A lot of people are excited about the Windsor Studios, but I've heard they sound pretty crappy. I have no direct experience, however. On the otherhand, quite a few people really like the new Blackheart amps.
yes, it's out. musiciansfriend put mine on backordered for 3months and i finally got it 2weeks ago. and yes, i love the power attentuator on it, and one of the main reason i got this amp. ( have you check out some other power attuentuator? they like 600bucks a piece and this amp is only 400 lol ) but yea, the volume can go real real real low. one thing, just the amp itself it sound pretty suck, even to do what it's for, like light distortion ala AC/DC. but hey it's 400 bucks and it got tubes in it, so it's a good buy for beginner, or people that want a tube practice amp that can play at low volume. although with a couple pedals to change the tone shape a little bit it's not really that bad. i play with a LTD KH602 with EMG81 combine with a Damage Control Solid Metal on the boast channel and a boss noise supressor, i can actually get that high-gain saturation distortion that i've been looking for, or with a good o' Digitech Bad Monkey for classic rock and stuff. so the point is, it's a $400 dollar tube amp with power attentuator with no tone. but with a pedal or two it have potential.
Last edited by The_Last_J at Feb 28, 2008,
Quote by rhettro
A lot of people are excited about the Windsor Studios, but I've heard they sound pretty crappy. I have no direct experience, however. On the otherhand, quite a few people really like the new Blackheart amps.

I played a Windsor Studio at the NAMM show last month, & it sounded so bad I thought it had a bad tube or something. Evidently, it's just how they sound. What a disappointment. I did not try the Blackheart amps, but I heard a couple guys playing them, & they sounded pretty decent (I don't know which models they were).
FWIW-5W is still pretty loud. My 50W amp dials down to 3W w/ a power dampening feature, & it's LOUD. I wouldn't count on output tube saturation as distortion if you need to play quietly. Even the 1W amps are surprisingly loud when cranked.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^ yeah, it's a disappointment. still would like to try one, but i guess if something sounds too good to be true, it sometimes is...

agreed about low wattage still being loud.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Also, if you try one, try it through an extension cab.

It comes loaded with a Blue Marvel which are just

Speakers are very important to your sound and if it's a sh*t speaker, well then that might make the tone worse than it should be. I remember how I felt that after getting my Red Fang it made a huge imporvement to my tone for an example.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
good point gabe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, speakers are like a HUGE part of the sound really. A Plexi through an MG cab would sound worse compared to a VC30 through a Mojave cab I would say.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Yeah, speakers are like a HUGE part of the sound really. A Plexi through an MG cab would sound worse compared to a VC30 through a Mojave cab I would say.

Mojave rules!
I'll tell you one thing about the Studio I tried. No speaker cabinet could've salvaged GOOD tone from that amp. Better, probably, but it would be like getting goat sh!t instead of dog sh!t.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^I see. Well I thought about like the best amp brand I could think of that used speakers I liked (most high end ones uses V30s and I don't like V30's) but Mojave uses Heritage Celestions.

Shame Peavey f*cked it up!

But that means there's room for my amp design...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Yeah, I played the Windsor Studio too, and I didnt really like it. It seemed like they were jumping on the "OMG TOOOBZ!" bandwagon that most brands are on right now for their little practice amps. The VJ and the Blackheart seem like the only good one's that I have seen come out of it. The Windsor head though is a great one channel amp.