Double-Jointedness is normally a pretty alright thing, and I like disgusting people with my amazing arm-flailing antics.

But I've got a double jointed pinky. Which sucks even more than a normal pinky, because whenever I want to move my pinky across the fretboard, it always pops out of joint and hangs up in midair. And FORGET about doing those cool two string sweeps that Randy Rhoads did in crazy train, when he ascends the fretboard with casual cool. What do I do? Do I give up on being a shredder?
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
Double-Jointedness is normally a pretty alright thing, and I like disgusting people with my amazing arm-flailing antics.

But I've got a double jointed pinky. Which sucks even more than a normal pinky, because whenever I want to move my pinky across the fretboard, it always pops out of joint and hangs up in midair. And FORGET about doing those cool two string sweeps that Randy Rhoads did in crazy train, when he ascends the fretboard with casual cool. What do I do? Do I give up on being a shredder?

Just work on strengthening your pinky and isolate it so that it moves less -- if it stays closer to the fretboard you might not have that problem.

On another note, there are no sweeps in Crazy Train -- but I assume you're talking about the lick in the second verse? If you really need, your ring finger might be able to reach.
Last edited by :-D at Feb 26, 2008,
Even if your pinky is useless, people can do a lot with fewer fingers. Not a shredder, but Django Reinhardt is a damn good example. If you're not in a worse situation than a hardcore French gypsy jazz guitarist with massive finger injuries from a caravan fire, you can't complain.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
Well, there is no such thing as actually being double jointed, your fingers might have a bit of a snappy release to them.

I had the same kinda deal going on with me as well. There are a few things to work on.

1. You just have to push the strings to the fret to fret it, no real force required. You just have to pull off far enough to not touch the string. If you work on playing with as minimal movement as possible in the left hand your efficiency will skyrocket and you should have less of a problem with it.

2. Keep everything fluid. Nothing on guitar needs to be forced, even hammerons and pulloffs. Just keep it smooth and accurate.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Well, there is no such thing as actually being double jointed, your fingers might have a bit of a snappy release to them.

+1

Double-jointed-ness is a myth, you just need to practice more.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Whats your definition of forced? For me when im playing guitar, everything is "forced" because everything requires some effort, however minimal, and muscle movement, especially legato (thats really bloody hard for me)

Assuming you have an average computer keyboard. You should never need more force then when typing. On average, though, I'd say you're hand should be as tense as when it's resting on a table or something, i.e, no real grip or pressure. A good way to get in the habit of no force is to take a piece or do scale runs without pressing down on the strings(only enough pressure to mute the strings). That should train your hands to the proper force level needed.
Chris poland had a messed up finger, yet he shreds incredible fast. I would check out his solo stuff, and his work on the Megadeth albums "Peace Sells, but who's buying?" and "The System has Failed"
Quote by Galvanise69
Chris Poland? Whos he? I thought I knew most of the megadeth guitarists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgrACYkXFqY&NR=1

And he did the lead work on "Peace sells..." so he's the one responsible for the jazzy sounding lead work on songs like Peace Sells

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
As said above there is no such thing as "double jointedness," and the term is used to refer to several rather different conditions that range from just being slightly more flexible to average to significant medical problems. Really, a doctor or someone with a decent amount of medical knowledge would have to examine it to actually figure out what it is.
wait: They can FIX so-called "doouble jointedness?"

And there ARE sweeps in crazy train, they're just on two strings. Two downstrokes followed by an upstroke across two strings, repeated up the fretboard. But that's not the important thing. The important thing is that my pinky doesn't quite work properly. I guess I could always not use it, but I'd rather not not use it.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
wait: They can FIX so-called "doouble jointedness?"

And there ARE sweeps in crazy train, they're just on two strings. Two downstrokes followed by an upstroke across two strings, repeated up the fretboard. But that's not the important thing. The important thing is that my pinky doesn't quite work properly. I guess I could always not use it, but I'd rather not not use it.

Out of curiosity, where are these sweeps? I play the song and I've never used sweeping that I can recall.
Quote by Galvanise69
I listened to peace sells yesterday, fantastic track. Megadeth have had a lot of fantastic gutiarists, freidman is still where its at for me.

+1

Friedman is still a god among rockers. Probably the best guitarist Megadeth ever had.
Just use your pinky more. A lot of people have pinky problems, they all solved them by simply using it more. You are no exception to that rule.
Well you're fucking stupid, I'm double jointed in my thumbs and pinkies and it hurts my guitar playing. I would love to move my pinky normally but it locks when I stretch it and I have to shake my hand off to get it back sometimes. You clearly don't know anything about what we're talking about
antonmac8 dude, reviving a 9 year old thread to be angry about something and swear at people?

Come on.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.