So we had the talent show dress rehearsal was today. I spent the three hourse before it started practicing the song (Seek and Destroy). I had spent the past week or so practicing my ass off to it. I practiced to the song with my eyes closed, i got everything except the last solo. My original plan was to replace the penetonic wanking with a sweep tapping thing. But i realized that i wouldnt be able to pull it off by the show so i replaced it with.....penetonic wanking!!!! anyway so i get there, things didnt look good from the get go. I realized i was wearing my unlucky guns n roses shirt, and we were act number 13, whatever, i thought, im prepared. So my partner comes up and we start jamming, he doesnt know where the second riff starts and said he didnt practice the song. I do a forhead slap. I tried to teach him but he said that hed just stop if he didnt know what was going on. Next thing he tells me he doesnt remember the lyrics. So i write them down (i CANT sing) and tell him to just look at them on stage and try to memorize them in the hour and a half we had. i was nearvous. So the "show" started, i brought my jackson into the audience and worked on my solo (unplugged of course. Other people broguht their acoustics so it was ok) All of the bands were playing acoustic and chord stuff basically. So my act comes up and my partner still doesnt know when which riffs go where. So we get up onstage, and the drumtrack on the CD doesnt work, so we have to play without it. I turn my amp a bit higher than my friends because he didnt practice. So we begin and my friend starts singing wayyyyy before the verses come in, and he forgets the lyrics. some people in the audience laugh, i want to shoot myself. He continues to forget where we are in the song. I do the solo, some people cheer. THen my friend starts his improved solo. Now before you say "ohh dump him he sucks", hes an amazing soloist, he ccan sweep and tap and improv amazingly. anyway so we end what i thought was an incoherent mess. again i want to ****ing die. Some more background on my friend, hes one of the nicest guys i know and hes a great friend, so its really hard for me to be mad at him. But i manage. i said "learn the lyrics and learn your riffs, we sucked ass" and he goes "no we were really good ill work on it but i thought it was good" to which i replied "it wasnt a song, it needs to sound like a song, the other people all put a song together we need to do the same, it was extremley unorganized and theres no way thats the best we can do. work on the lyrics and the riffs" so he says"music is not about orginization, most professional musicians arent organized" Me:"thats the biggest load of bull**** ive ever heard musicians are organized or else it sounds like......what we did." Him:"look ive seen professional musicians preform" Me"I Live with one!!!!*" him:"you just think it was bad, it was really good"

So he thinks the complete cacophany that should have been seek and destroy was good. I have two options 1)drop out and avoid further embarrassment 2)Get him to practice the ****ing song so he can keep up with it and try to make up for it on Friday.

oh yea and dont criticize me for spelling. I know it has terrible spelling. This is a message board, not an english essay.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
He sounds like a decent guy. Just constantly get on his ass about practicing.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
that's not so bad...

and might i recommend a real drummer next time
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Damn. How many Chinese people did it take to build this Great Wall of Text?
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
I'd rather rub butter into my mother's cleavage.

Mummy... Mummy... Where are you? You can run but you can't hide!
Quote by kosmic
He sounds like a decent guy. Just constantly get on his ass about practicing.

Word.
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
that's not so bad...

and might i recommend a real drummer next time

i cant find a reliable drummer, the one that doesnt hate me is always grounded, never shows up to practice (seriosuly he hasnt showed up once), and always makes promises he cant keep.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Quote by DashBlaster
In before tl;dr, wall of text... etc

What does tl;dr mean?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Evilpnguin
Damn. How many Chinese people did it take to build this Great Wall of Text?

lol. it scared the crap out of me when I saw this massive block of words. i had to take a few deep breaths before taking on that beast of a post. but yeah, do your best to get that guy to practice, thats too bad you worked your ass off only for him to lazily learn it and **** it all up.
Hey, just be glad it was just a sound check (or whatever the hell it was) and that it wasn't the real thing.

Just get on him about practising. And don't just call him and go "Hey, practice." Actually go over to his house or whatever, and play the song together.

And the best piece of advice for being onstage: When you mess up, don't sigh or shake your head. The only person that's gonna know you messed up is you. Nobody is gonna be sitting in the audience that knows Seek and Destroy that well that they're going to tear you apart about it. And if they do, well then they need to get a life.

Good luck with that, though. I hope you can convince him to keep rehearsing it.
oh yea and dont criticize me for spelling. I know it has terrible spelling. This is a message board, not an english essay.

thank you.

anyway last year i was playing clarinet for some school thing that a teacher suckered me into doing. anyway i have play clarinet for 5 years now(but don't play in the school band). so i went up their to play and i set my clarinet on the floor standing up,well when i tryed to pick it up i kicked it into the front row of seat. some guy picked it up for me and i went and play the song but i was really embarrassed and rushed the song which ended up sounding like crap tp my years.

just thought i would say that to lift your spirits.
i say stay in the show, dont bother yelling at your friend anymore, because it obviously wont change his mind about anything. just make sure he practices and learns the stuff. you dont want to make him do something stupid like quit the show because he's mad at you.
sincerely,
daniel
if hes going to play a show with you he has a responcibility to practice the material with you. just ask him for a little more effort next time.
Just get him to practice, and if you can't get the song to sound decent by the show, just fake sick.
SUMMARY TO PEOPLE WHO DONT WANT TO WASTE THEIR TIME READING MY MASSIVE TEXT WALL: i practice, friend dont practice song, we go up and play talent show dress rehersal, incoherant mess, friend forget lyrics, friend forget riffs, i is angry, friend think incoherant mess is good song, i is still angry, i tell friend nicley to practice riffs and lyrics, i is confused.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
What you have to realize is that a good musician has to have more than just chops. He has to be reliable, and being able to percept the other instrumentalists playing with him. These two things are a must if you want to trust anyone going on stage with you. Sounds like your friend doesn't have these essential qualities.

So even though you're reluctant to drop him, I think it would be the best move for you, as a serious performer. Find people who are reliable and willing to work with you in a professional manner. And don't worry about losing a guitarist with "amazing taps and shred tricks". A general audience does not care.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
What you have to realize is that a good musician has to have more than just chops. He has to be reliable, and being able to percept the other instrumentalists playing with him. These two things are a must if you want to trust anyone going on stage with you. Sounds like your friend doesn't have these essential qualities.

So even though you're reluctant to drop him, I think it would be the best move for you, as a serious performer. Find people who are reliable and willing to work with you in a professional manner. And don't worry about losing a guitarist with "amazing taps and shred tricks". A general audience does not care.

i cant drop him, hes the one that got me into the show, hes the lead and im the guitarist basically. THe only option is to drop out of the talent show or try to get him to practice. I have had such bad luck at finding reliable musicians. Its really frustrating, im jsut asking for people to be slightly dedicated and i cant find that.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
This is also your BEST musical experience ever by default

Therefore, you suck.
I've been here since '04.

Get a real drummer would be my advise, or a bassist. If this happened and you had a real drummer he could hit a symbol when your friend was to play a certain riff, if he was good that is. A bassist could keep you guys in line even. Playing a duet isn't easy unless both of you put in the time, and practice it together. You can't just say "practice this, and we'll play it together later"
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
i cant drop him, hes the one that got me into the show, hes the lead and im the guitarist basically. THe only option is to drop out of the talent show or try to get him to practice. I have had such bad luck at finding reliable musicians. Its really frustrating, im jsut asking for people to be slightly dedicated and i cant find that.

Well ask yourself this: would you rather go on for another slew of painful shows with this guy or just take your losses and move on with new experience?

A common strategy in economics is to abandon fixed costs when it doesn't produce any viable profits. If you payed a $100 rent at the beginning of the month but you know your business is failing, there is no point of going on just for the sake of fulfilling the value of that $100 rent; It's already payed for and there's nothing you can do, so better to just quit now and prevent any more wasted money than to keep going.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
lol thx 4 the summery, yeah he seems ok, just practice wif him more or offer him something 4 practicing like bj lol
make him practice with you, and find a real drummer.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
i no just how u feel. it's hard to get someone to really practice. u almost have to suck up to them. it really suckss
so ive decided to drop out of it. without a drum track it sounds like ****. And the director said we had to keep it down to 3 minutes which means we would have 2 days to modify the song and learn it without the drums. and topped wiht the fact he doesnt know the lyrics. its not worth it, well just embarrass ourselves.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

*gasps for air*

Need .... paragraphs .... please, quick .... someone .... give me .... paragraphs ....
If you all didn't practice the song together its really not suprising

My first show my friend and I playing a cover of Love buzz by Nirvana and we messed up because I was 1 second behind him the whole song lol we just said we used a delay pedal and we got away with it though

first gigs are never good
they don't get good till around about the 1002th one, even then they can still suck
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
tl;dr

But from what I'm assuming, you should just ditch him.
I hope it's cold, everyday, where you are.
Quote by Jesus=ConArtist
If you all didn't practice the song together its really not suprising

My first show my friend and I playing a cover of Love buzz by Nirvana and we messed up because I was 1 second behind him the whole song lol we just said we used a delay pedal and we got away with it though

first gigs are never good
they don't get good till around about the 1002th one, even then they can still suck

i practiced, he didnt, and we didnt have a drum track.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by RPGoof
That kid is such a prick. Professional musicians can at least learn the full song

trust me if you met him you wouldnt think hes a prick, hes a really nice guy. just really disorganized and naive.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
who the hell doesnt know seek & destroy?!?!?
Quote by cliff_em_all
cof_median11 is a Child Rapist.

Quote by blink day 4 eva
Theres a mosquito that lives in my room and i let him bite me all the time and i let him live. It's our special deal. His name is "The Dude".

Quote by Babbs
cof_median11, you sick ****.