Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I am new my name is Colin and I am 14 and i play guitar.

Just wondering, what do you guys think the best store to go to for guitar stuff is in the U.S.? I am quite fond of guitar center, just can't get enough of that store. Sam ash is a close second.
sam ash because they recently got some sick leo fender G&L basses (pre lawsuit) and some very nice laklands.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
guitar center usually tries to same people, although i have gotten good deals from them on the past. but i try and support my local music store: New Orleans Music Exchange. reall cool guys there.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
guitar center but i'm biased because i have 3 friends who work there and one of my friends dad manages it, so i say GC but it's all a matter of opinion
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Small places are usually better. Some Small places totally suck though.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Skip's Music Store, I go their every Tuesday for lessons so everybody their knows me and they give me huge discounts. Just the other week they dropped a $500 Michael Kelly to $300 for me.
Guitar Center because of the decent selection, though I'm really anxious to try the one in Hollywood.
Haight-Ashbury music in San Francisco is the best since the sell their goods at Sixties era prices.
Jackson DXMG With SD Blackouts
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez GSR205EX
Acoustic B200H W/ Acoustic B410
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by funkbass369
sam ash because they recently got some sick leo fender G&L basses (pre lawsuit) and some very nice laklands.

Gah, they did not have any when I went two months ago -_-
Jackson and Sons Music Trading center they have trading but they don't do trade-in's but they do special orders on anything they don't have plus they also sell guitars and amps at 30% off the MRSP.
Quote by TheBigNoobie
Tom Lee. It's pretty my only option at where I live.

Try the Long and Mcquade out in PoCo. It's a lot better.
Quote by TheBigNoobie
Tom Lee. It's pretty my only option at where I live.

Really? I'm in Burnaby, BC, too; but I find myself heading out to Long & McQuade (the Surrey store on 138 St & 104 Ave). In fact, I haven't made it out to a Tom Lee yet to check it out. I've gotten to know a few of the employees at Long & McQuade, which sends me back there over and over, too. I was familiar with Long & McQuade from playing my saxophone (always rented/purchased stuff from there), and was told about a deal there when I was looking for an electric. I've been back and spent a lot of money since, too... I've been meaning to check out a Tom Lee, but don't want to spend more right now (really can't afford to). Which location do you find has the best selection/help?

To the TS, you've probably noticed I'm a fan of L&M, but I don't believe that will help you much in the States...
Quote by nx_911_turbo
Really? I'm in Burnaby, BC, too; but I find myself heading out to Long & McQuade (the Surrey store on 138 St & 104 Ave). In fact, I haven't made it out to a Tom Lee yet to check it out. I've gotten to know a few of the employees at Long & McQuade, which sends me back there over and over, too. I was familiar with Long & McQuade from playing my saxophone (always rented/purchased stuff from there), and was told about a deal there when I was looking for an electric. I've been back and spent a lot of money since, too... I've been meaning to check out a Tom Lee, but don't want to spend more right now (really can't afford to). Which location do you find has the best selection/help?

To the TS, you've probably noticed I'm a fan of L&M, but I don't believe that will help you much in the States...

I really don't like Tom Lee. I'm in Coquitlam myself, and there's one a 5 minute walk from my house. They finally got PRS's, and it's just a $2000 one in a case they'll never sell.
Quote by Slayer666_5150
Haight-Ashbury music in San Francisco is the best since they sell their goods at Sixties era prices.

Very true. Best music store I've ever been to, very friendly people too. Even threw in a free hardshell case for my Gibbo. You should definitely go there when you're in the area.
Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
Quote by Avedas
Try the Long and Mcquade out in PoCo. It's a lot better.

Good god man, those are the first two music stores I ever went to, back in the late 90's. Tom Lee Music in Coquitlam and the Long & Mcquade's in Port Coq. was still in its old location on Lougheed and Shaughnessy. Brings back memories lol. I moved back to southern Ontario in 2000. Man I hated living in Vancouver, when it didn't piss it rained and when it didn't rain it poured.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Avedas
I really don't like Tom Lee. I'm in Coquitlam myself, and there's one a 5 minute walk from my house. They finally got PRS's, and it's just a $2000 one in a case they'll never sell.

HAHA this is hilarious cause when I was there the only time back in '99 they too had a PRS in a plastic case kind of in the middle of the store. Might this be the same guitar?

Edit:
Damn sorry about the double post
I certainly wouldn't be surprised. Some of the stuff there has been sitting around since I can remember.
the guitar center. they treat me with respect and they don't swarm me. also i shop there quite a lot.
Quote by HollishGuy
Very true. Best music store I've ever been to, very friendly people too. Even threw in a free hardshell case for my Gibbo. You should definitely go there when you're in the area.

Threw in a free hardshell?? What Gibson did you by. From what I've seen on the website, 90%+ of their guitars come with the hardshell case STANDARD! And to make this post not spam, there was a really nice store just outside of Nashville (who's name i can't recall at this exact moment) that had some really nice stuff in it. And if by some strange chance you end up in Hamilton (Ont) there's Mountain Music, and the 2 Long McQuade's within 40 minutes of each other in Burlington and Cambridge (Cambridge has a MUCH better selection though).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by onemanarmy9
Threw in a free hardshell?? What Gibson did you by. From what I've seen on the website, 90%+ of their guitars come with the hardshell case STANDARD! And to make this post not spam, there was a really nice store just outside of Nashville (who's name i can't recall at this exact moment) that had some really nice stuff in it. And if by some strange chance you end up in Hamilton (Ont) there's Mountain Music, and the 2 Long McQuade's within 40 minutes of each other in Burlington and Cambridge (Cambridge has a MUCH better selection though).

I go to the L&M in Cambridge and also Sherwood Music in Kitchener, I hate the L&M in Waterloo. I bought my MXR EVH Flanger at the Cambridge store for $180 new, Musicians Friend has it for $190 so they definitely got some good prices going. Their store is really great, lots of stuff but I find their guitars on the floor are pretty badly setup and every kid with sticky PB&J fingers from lunch has used and abused their guitars, mainly the Fenders. Sherwood has a smaller selection but all their stuff is setup real good and the guys there know more what they are talking about although can be pretty pushy sometimes. Good store though
Quote by onemanarmy9

It wasn't an expensive Gibson, like $500. But still nice they threw in the case for free.
Quote by HollishGuy
It wasn't an expensive Gibson, like $500. But still nice they threw in the case for free.

I've never seen a Gibson for under $1000.
What model was it?
The now discontinued Les Paul Melody Maker (not one of the crappy new ones). The original price was $850, but it was on sale so I got it for about $500.
there are no major guitar stores where i live. all i have is local guitar places but i love guitar center and sam ash. only been to those places once tho
Out of the major companies I'd say Sam Ash, they're way more customer friendly than Guitar Center, but that's just my opinion.
Quote by CORT noob
Small places are usually better. Some Small places totally suck though.

I prefer small local shops too. You can usually tell pretty quickly if they are an assembly of arsholes. Of the two you mentioned, I would prefer a Sam Ash though.
Quote by DSOTM80
I go to the L&M in Cambridge and also Sherwood Music in Kitchener, I hate the L&M in Waterloo. I bought my MXR EVH Flanger at the Cambridge store for $180 new, Musicians Friend has it for $190 so they definitely got some good prices going. Their store is really great, lots of stuff but I find their guitars on the floor are pretty badly setup and every kid with sticky PB&J fingers from lunch has used and abused their guitars, mainly the Fenders. Sherwood has a smaller selection but all their stuff is setup real good and the guys there know more what they are talking about although can be pretty pushy sometimes. Good store though

What have you got against the L&M in Waterloo? I live a lot closer to Sherwood and I like the store a lot, but I find that I'm at L&M as often as I am at Sherwood because I think their selection is better. But yeah, the L&M in Cambridge is great! Their selection of PRS is sooo much better than the L&M in Waterloo.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Altos music by me is whats up. They have tons of stuff in stock and for everything you can imagine music wise.
Alto Music, Middletown NY
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
K&S Music in Williamsport, PA.
I love it. Has Ibanez, ESP, B.C. Rich, and Schecter in large stock, and a couple Jacksons and a Fender or two. Of course it has Squiers
It can be a bitch at times, but usually it has some great guitars. I got them to save a PRS there for me and I'm alreayd saving up for it, and they said I have about three months or else they're putting it back into the main store.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by RhoadsLivesOn
What have you got against the L&M in Waterloo? I live a lot closer to Sherwood and I like the store a lot, but I find that I'm at L&M as often as I am at Sherwood because I think their selection is better. But yeah, the L&M in Cambridge is great! Their selection of PRS is sooo much better than the L&M in Waterloo.

Yea the L&M in Cambridge is great and they got some good second hand stuff also especially amps and their acoustic selection is good too. Lots and lots of stuff in there. I found Sherwood repair shop is really good, good guys down there. The L&M in Waterloo is ok, but parking blows and whenever I've walked in there the guys working alway seem to have some opinionated discussions about music and so on and when I check out the guitars its like they're sizing you up. I dunno just get a weird vibe in there. I'm 27 years old I don't need some sales guy looking at me when I pickup a $700 instrument. Maybe I just go there at the wrong times I just wanna be left alone when I'm looking at stuff in the store, especially guitars. Cambridge is the best for that, they don't bother you until you ask.
Page 1 of 2