Now that I'm finally playing with a good band, I'm trying to book shows. But there's NOWHERE! Venues in my town have been shutting down one by one because all we have are these terrible grindcore and death metal bands that attract a really sketchy crowd (I have no problem with those genres, but around here that's what happens).

One of the most popular venues in town closed its doors because of a disastrous concert where a kid got thrown through a wall, a girl was rushed to the hospital with severe alcohol poisoning, and a guy was caught with crack. Now we've only got two or three venues left, and they have shows only about once every couple months. The only other opportunities to perform are parties, which are also few and far between.

And there's no bands left to play with either.. the only other decent band is a few years older than us and finishing their record deal soon. We had a companion band for a while, but they're basically useless because their drummer sucks and their guitarist can't perform until he gets his grades up.

/ranting wall of text

Anyone else have this problem in their area?
And does anybody know how I can find shows for my band? If it helps, I live in Connecticut.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by backupbass1
have them in your basement.

Let me add that my neighbors are total douchebags and complain when we practice too loud..

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Basement Punk Rock Shows!

We have one venue. which is a Punk/Hardcore/Metal place (I love it)

and my band is kinda different, so its going to be awkward playing there.
What area of CT? There are quite a few bars to play in around here. Bars that musical people actually come to.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
What area of CT? There are quite a few bars to play in around here. Bars that musical people actually come to.

I'm from Southington.. what places? We probably can't play bars since most of us are only 16 or 15.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

use the internet to promote your band. haven't you been keeping up with guitargasam?
i live in Washington, and our cities venues are being taken over my screamo death metal. sure, those guys are super talented, but i play punk rock, and no one wants to hear punkxrock anymore...
Quote by stradivari310
Let me add that my neighbors are total douchebags and complain when we practice too loud..

invite them to the show. then thrash them into submission
Quote by bendystraw
use the internet to promote your band. haven't you been keeping up with guitargasam?

haha of course.. awesome story. We've got a myspace, a website, and a youtube channel that are all well maintained, but it hasn't helped us with booking.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Y&Dshredder
travel, it seems like you town is a little hell hole =)

Actually it's a black hole, seeing as nobody who enters ever leaves...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

hahaha we have two epic venues
Junktion 7 & Nottingham Rock City.
and then Nottingham Area if youre teuly epic.
Smaller local bands play Old Angel, Running Horse, Bunkers Hill Inn and Junktion 7 if youre good (such as us )

I love that England's smaller but we still get all the American bands AND our own and theyre almost guarenteed to be within reasonable distance of you at some point
I've been here since '04.

Quote by MattMac273
Connecticut sucks, deal with it.
But, The Space in Hamden is decent.

Yeah we just sent them our demo... takes forever to get a response.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Do a rooftop performance.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
My cousins live in Connecticut, they also said there weren't too many venues. They also live in Hartford.

Seriously, do a basement somewhere. Find maybe 7 or so other local bands that are semi-similar to your genre, and have a big show someplace.
Who dat?
I would just travel to venues, maybe in other cities. If you think you're ready to play, just go to a a city maybe an hour away where you know are good venues.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Dude if you can't find a venue make your own.

One of my friends actually puts on a music festival in his back yard.
(I think the first year there were about 15 bands).

He doesn't even have a really big house but it works fine.

You wouldn't even need to use your own house,
just find someone who is willing and set up a date.
Theres only like 1 place in my town, and a lot of the stuff is Grind, and its a church. Other than that, theres only a few school events, so ya, my town sucks too for music. That and theres no other people that want to start a band with a cripple drummer
Main Gear:
guitars;
Gibson LPJ
Squire CLASSIC VIBE Stratocaster 60's
PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone Sheraton II

amps;
Bugera 1990, 6260
Egnater Tweaker
Quote by stradivari310

Have it in their basement
What kind of music do you play?

EDIT: Just listened to the music in your Profile. I like it, but your right. Nobody around here plays anything remotely close to it. I know that if you guys get a show around here I'll have to come.
Last edited by MattMac273 at Feb 26, 2008,
i live in Hickville and everbody listens to country and rap. to go see a show i have to travel three hours to Detroit,MI to watch somebody good. and if i wanted to book a venue i'd have to go an hour south to Saginaw,MI...and i'm not even familiar with the clubs and sh!t around sagainw
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why mankind is.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/map /
just do a show guerrilla style:

rush up to some empty lot (parking, home) that has plug-ins and just rush the place. plug in/set up quick and just play. if it is a good enough place, it will be cool.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
my area of pa sucks too w/ the awful grindcore bands and lack of venues
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
We're working on the basement thing.. I'm probably going to do a show in mine anyway just to show the neighbors I really don't care. And our third guitarist has a HUGE yard with a patio so we're going to try a show there too.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
haha of course.. awesome story. We've got a myspace, a website, and a youtube channel that are all well maintained, but it hasn't helped us with booking.

Who have you given your pages out to?
Quote by MastaBassist10
Who have you given your pages out to?

Basically I've sent it to anyone and everyone. We're currently waiting for a reply from the one good venue we know of.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
Basically I've sent it to anyone and everyone. We're currently waiting for a reply from the one good venue we know of.

Good to hear then, well done.
Promoting is a bitch, I've been promoting good beats to local MCs and they've said I was good, but no word on if anyone wants to work with me yet.