Hey, I just had a question and I need some pointers.

Bands like Blink-182 and Alkaline Trio only use one guitar, so how do they make the music sound like it has so much impact, compared recordings that my brother's band has done in my basement ( http://myspace.com/ourfirstsummer - "Happy Every After" is the one I'm specifically talking about )?

Thanks for any tips, I really appreciate it!
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
when bands like that record they multi-track. there isn't just one guitar playing, there's at least 2 or more
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
do they record it two different times or do they duplicate the same track?

i'm assuming the first option.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Depends, really. You can duplicate the same track, EQ them slightly differently and pan them to get a bigger result. You could even just work on mixing the one you have to sound a bit bigger, or recording it more meaty-sounding.
There is poetry in despair.
Compression also helps in upping the average volume. Loudness maximizing and mastering give it polish and that punch. And as fridge said, EQ and duplication contribute as well.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Compression also helps in upping the average volume. Loudness maximizing and mastering give it polish and that punch. And as fridge said, EQ and duplication contribute as well.

So, would you recommend purchasing a Compressor pedal (such as a BOSS CS-3), or shoud I do compressing in ProTools?
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Quote by DiveRightIn63
So, would you recommend purchasing a Compressor pedal (such as a BOSS CS-3), or shoud I do compressing in ProTools?

if you want "loudness" it would have to be in your DAW...the pedal would be too small a compression. or an analog rack compressor, but those cost a lot of money
"This could be love" has at least 3 guitar tracks on it, it also has a high keyboard note to make the mix huge.

But yeah, multitracking is how you get the parts to sound big. Duplicating tracks and shifting them slightly generally gives you a thinner, ethereal sound.
Quote by DiveRightIn63

Compress in Pro Tools. It's not destructive that way, and you can use awesome plugins which tend to be less expensive and more tunable. Things like the $99 BBE Loudness Maximizer.