actually, i want to know about japanese education. i hear every so often how relentless their schooling is, and a trigonometry teacher at my school the other day said, "kids in japan learned this in the fourth grade."

does anyone have any extensive knowledge on the subject? i'm genuinely interested.

and by subject i mean japanese education, not azn kidz.
Last edited by Arthur Curry at Feb 26, 2008,
I'd kill myself if I realized I was learning trig in fourth grade. He was probably exaggerating, though.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
does anybody know where can i get the azn chick's pic?
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Quote by thewho65
Let's put it this way; they have pre-preschools.

And before that they probably have tutors at home.
Education in China, Japan, and Korea are all extremely rigorous, fueled by the painstakingly tight competition for outstanding excellency among an overpopulation of students. Basically, you have to work your hardest just to stay mediocre in comparison with everyone. The hours and work are grueling. That is not to say that there are no leisure time for students, but way more hours are spent studying than playing.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by darkstar2466
Let me share with you guys a video that amazes me to no end. I've always thought of the Japanese as people who work really hard at whatever they do, to the point of perfection. This video fortifies that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIiDomlEjJw&feature=related

Erg. Uuug. Damn it all.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
People always talk about the other's educational system.
In Israel our teacher used to say how advanced the Russian education is.
Weirdly, a lot of the Russian immigrants came with fake degrees and didn't know basic maths .
I call on BS on the trig on 4th grade thing.

EDIT: Though it's true that Japanese kids take school really serious. Japan is the place with the biggest teens suicide rate because they don't accept the shame of having bad marks.
Or that's what I heard.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Feb 26, 2008,
There is absolutely no leisure time, compared to the U.S.......I know, I used to be one of'm.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Education in China, Japan, and Korea are all extremely rigorous, fueled by the painstakingly tight competition for outstanding excellency among an overpopulation of students. Basically, you have to work your hardest just to stay mediocre in comparison with everyone. The hours and work are grueling. That is not to say that there are no leisure time for students, but way more hours are spent studying than playing.

This is true. The competition extends from education to the workforce and has been a major contributor to the high suicide rates in Japan.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
The abacus video is unbelievable!
Quote by KileManA7X
You sir, are an honorary genius! Take this badge, you made us proud!
I traveled to Japan for two weeks and while admittedly not enough time to fully experience their culture, I did spent a few days in a school. The first time I went, the school seemed to be a total waste of time, we wandered around with the Japanese students showing us around (mine was amazingly sexy, it was awesome.) and spent the day doing basic Japanese art. We finished the day by watching a school rally (that was intense, apparently all the schools over there have their own theme songs with full blown bands playing).

The next day I went to a different school and spent two h ours in an advanced level math class (apparently the equivalent of what would be grade 11 in Canada). Having just finished grade 10, I already was a bit nervous, and could only grasp the basics of what the teacher was explaining to us, but I couldn't speak Japanese so I was merely looking at the equations. We then got a sheet of paper each and were expected to do the equation. Looking back, I seem to remember it being trig, double angle identities maybe. That's what I'm currently studying in Principles of Math 12, so they were at least a year ahead of B.C./Yukon education in Canada.

And then I happened to walk by the library that night, and met 3/4 of the students that I had met at the first school studying, they said they had went there right after school and were staying until 10, so their school is a lot more intense than ours I suppose.
Quote by Sooopo
I traveled to Japan for two weeks and while admittedly not enough time to fully experience their culture, I did spent a few days in a school. The first time I went, the school seemed to be a total waste of time, we wandered around with the Japanese students showing us around (mine was amazingly sexy, it was awesome.) and spent the day doing basic Japanese art. We finished the day by watching a school rally (that was intense, apparently all the schools over there have their own theme songs with full blown bands playing).

The next day I went to a different school and spent two h ours in an advanced level math class (apparently the equivalent of what would be grade 11 in Canada). Having just finished grade 10, I already was a bit nervous, and could only grasp the basics of what the teacher was explaining to us, but I couldn't speak Japanese so I was merely looking at the equations. We then got a sheet of paper each and were expected to do the equation. Looking back, I seem to remember it being trig, double angle identities maybe. That's what I'm currently studying in Principles of Math 12, so they were at least a year ahead of B.C./Yukon education in Canada.

And then I happened to walk by the library that night, and met 3/4 of the students that I had met at the first school studying, they said they had went there right after school and were staying until 10, so their school is a lot more intense than ours I suppose.

I envy you, my good sir
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows