Well alot of my friends say good things about him and i want to get into instrumental
so what's buckethead's best songs or maybe even his best cd?
Also no flame intended but what's up with the bucket on his head?
jpast wrote:

He wishes he was in the minority. Nothing like making out with guys to stick it to the man. (Pun intended)
I can't comment on his music, because i've only heard a couple songs and the style isn't my cup of tea, but as far as the bucket goes... i think it's just something to help him gain popularity. You can call him an underground musician all you want, but if someone wears a bucket on their head, they are looking for attention. And it's working. The majority of his fans first looked into his music because of his image. If they stayed fans for the music, good for them, but if he named his 'band' something like "Henry Scott" or some random name like that, and he didn't wear a bucket or anything weird, most of his fans wouldn't know about him. You have to admit it's true. There are people out there just as talented as buckethead, if not moreso, who you haven't heard and are less popular because they don't do stupid things like that to get noticed.
Really depends on what you want to start with, he has a vast range of genres.

As for the bucket:
"I had just seen Halloween IV", he recalls of a dark night in 1989, "and as soon as it was over I went into a store across the street and said 'Do you have any Michael Myers masks?' They had a white mask, which really wasn't like a Michael Myers mask, but I liked it a lot. That night I was eating chicken out of a bucket that my dad brought home. It wasn't a Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket either. It said "Deli Chicken" on the outside. I was eating it, and I put the mask on and then the bucket on my head. I went to the mirror. I just said 'Buckethead. That's Buckethead right there.' It was just one of those things. After that, I wanted to be that thing all the time." -Buckethead

Edit: ^ it's not about gaining popularity at all.

"I can work anything into that character and make it totally work: all the things I love in my life, like Disney, Giant Robot, Texas Chainsaw. Even though I'm wearing a mask and have a character, it's more real, more about what I'm really like, because I'm too shy to let a lot of things out. Every reason I became Buckethead and am Buckethead has to do with the way I live. It's not because I thought it would be successful. I never use anything that isn't part of what I really loved as a child or love right now." - Buckethead
i have no clue never heard any of his music
except for jordan
which i didn't really like
jpast wrote:

He wishes he was in the minority. Nothing like making out with guys to stick it to the man. (Pun intended)
His heavier stuff comes off of Elephant Mans Alarm Clock, Inbred Mountain, and Crime Slunk Scene. Acoustic/Mellow songs off Colma and Electric tears. Bluesy/Smooth stuff off Population Override, Chicken Noodles, and Chicken Noodles II. More of his well known things are off Monsters and Robots (which includes Les Claypool and Bootsy Collins) and Giant Robot(Also has Bootsy; Iggy Pop provides vocals on one track.)

Edit: I'd suggest you Youtube Buckethead, find some songs you like, find out which album they're on and try some out.
Last edited by Seventeen at Feb 26, 2008,
doing that now
like soothsayer and i love my parents
i'm thinkin bout buying crime slunk or colma
jpast wrote:

Quote by Seventeen

Edit: ^ it's not about gaining popularity at all.

"I can work anything into that character and make it totally work: all the things I love in my life, like Disney, Giant Robot, Texas Chainsaw. Even though I'm wearing a mask and have a character, it's more real, more about what I'm really like, because I'm too shy to let a lot of things out. Every reason I became Buckethead and am Buckethead has to do with the way I live. It's not because I thought it would be successful. I never use anything that isn't part of what I really loved as a child or love right now." - Buckethead

Hm, well whether or not his original intention was/wasn't to gain popularity, you have to admit he wouldn't have the fanbase he does if his dressed/looked/named his band normally.
Like I said, I'm sure there are even more multi-talented musicians than Buckethead out there who have much smaller fanbases. Image, intended for fame or not, plays a big role in how large an artist's fanbase is. I just wanted to point it out, that's all.
Anyways buckethead is definitely a great musician, I just don't like the style in general, but you might TS.
You can't name a best album because he plays in a few different styles....Monsters and Robots has some good stuff, Giant Robot does as well...Electric Tears is a beautiful album if you want softer music...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
@OP, try downloading the album 'giant robot' by the band by the same name that buckethead was the lead guitarist of. its free off their website as either a .flac or 192kbps .mp3
Buckethead thread in the shred forum
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Ozzy quote that is always good for a laugh . . .

"I tried out that Buckethead guy. I met with him and asked him to work with me but only if he got rid of the ****ing bucket. So I came back a bit later and he's wearing this green ****ing Martian's-hat thing! I said, 'Look, just be yourself'. He told me his name was Brian, so I said that's what I'd call him. He says, 'No one calls me Brian except my mother'. So I said, 'Pretend I'm your mum then!'. I haven't even got out of the room and I'm already playing ****ing mind games with the guy. What happens if one day he's gone and there's a note saying, 'I've been beamed up'? Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He plays like a mother****er."
Quote by rush5757
I can't comment on his music, because i've only heard a couple songs and the style isn't my cup of tea, but as far as the bucket goes... i think it's just something to help him gain popularity. You can call him an underground musician all you want, but if someone wears a bucket on their head, they are looking for attention. And it's working. The majority of his fans first looked into his music because of his image. If they stayed fans for the music, good for them, but if he named his 'band' something like "Henry Scott" or some random name like that, and he didn't wear a bucket or anything weird, most of his fans wouldn't know about him. You have to admit it's true. There are people out there just as talented as buckethead, if not moreso, who you haven't heard and are less popular because they don't do stupid things like that to get noticed.

Yeah, but not many of those talented people where taught by Pual Gilbert though...

ummm I'd say check out Electric Tears or Enter the Chicken
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
songs: soothsayer, post office buddy, watching the boats with my dad, beaten by sledges
Nottingham Lace
Soothsayer
Welcome to Bucketheadland
Nun Chuka Kata
Killing Cone
Sail on Soothsayer
Ghost Host

...enjoy!
Quote by Seventeen
His heavier stuff comes off of Elephant Mans Alarm Clock, Inbred Mountain, and Crime Slunk Scene. Acoustic/Mellow songs off Colma and Electric tears. Bluesy/Smooth stuff off Population Override, Chicken Noodles, and Chicken Noodles II. More of his well known things are off Monsters and Robots (which includes Les Claypool and Bootsy Collins) and Giant Robot(Also has Bootsy; Iggy Pop provides vocals on one track.)

Edit: I'd suggest you Youtube Buckethead, find some songs you like, find out which album they're on and try some out.

Isn't it Elephant Man Bones Explosion?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?