Page 1 of 2
I really like the piano and classical guitar pieces you have there. The other two not so much. All of them are fantastic musicians though.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by urik

I've seen that Menuhin video many time. I can never get over the pianist's facial expressions. He looks so fed up!

I think there are much more virtuosic players than Menuhin. That video isn't exactly a very good example of Menuhin's specialty. Menuhin is known for his ability to bring out strong and contrasting emotions and having distinct interpretations. And violin, like most instruments, goes beyond just pure speed for virtuoso performances.

Here are better examples:
Jascha Heifetz playing Saint-Saen's Rondo and Caprice Jascha Heifetz's playing is, in a word, impeccable. This is a perfect interpretation.

Kyung Wha Chung playing the first movement of Bruch's Violin Concerto No.1 Her timing and phrasing in this piece is seamless, which is impressive because the solo lines are somewhat awkward in this particular concerto. And of course, her playing is also extremely refined.

Henry Szeryng playing Bach's Fugue from Violin Sonata 1 This is truly one of the hardest Bach accompanied violin pieces in the repertoire. A fugue is a piece that has multiple and separate melodic lines, usually played by an ensemble or keyboard instrument. Fugue on a violin, an instrument intended mostly for single lines, is asking for a lot of difficulty. Szeryng plays it perfectly, bringing out the individual melodies within the chords in a balanced and graceful manner. His bowing is god like.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 26, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi

I've seen that Menuhin video many time. I can never get over the pianist's facial expressions. He looks so fed up!

I think there are much more virtuosic players than Menuhin. That video isn't exactly a very good example of Menuhin's specialty. Menuhin is known for his ability to bring out strong and contrasting emotions and having distinct interpretations. And violin, like most instruments, goes beyond just pure speed for virtuoso performances.

Here are better examples:
Jascha Heifetz playing Saint-Saen's Rondo and Caprice Jascha Heifetz's playing is, in a word, impeccable. This is a perfect interpretation.

Kyung Wha Chung playing the first movement of Bruch's Violin Concerto No.1 Her timing and phrasing in this piece is seamless, which is impressive because the solo lines are somewhat awkward in this particular concerto. And of course, her playing is also extremely refined.

Henry Szeryng playing Bach's Fugue from Violin Sonata 1 This is truly one of the hardest Bach accompanied violin pieces in the repertoire. A fugue is a piece that has multiple and separate melodic lines, usually played by an ensemble or keyboard instrument. Fugue on a violin, an instrument intended mostly for single lines, is asking for a lot of difficulty. Szeryng plays it perfectly, bringing out the individual melodies within the chords in a balanced and graceful manner. His bowing is god like.

Thanks for that. I chose them because they are the best ones that I know. I know about classical music, but not THAT much.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by scorpion618^

+10

He can play faster and cleaner than any shredder out there and still doesn't load his solos up with 100 notes per second solos like "Lookie how fast I can play!" He is incredible at improvisation, has great vibrato, phrasing, and can literally play any style.
Electric guitar: one example for me and one example only
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whGfBGoFrO8
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by urik
Thanks for that. I chose them because they are the best ones that I know. I know about classical music, but not THAT much.

It's cool. Just try to explore beyond Paganini. :P

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Marty and Eric are great musicians but no virtuosos. He screws up quite a bit in that Tornado of Souls solo and has pretty bad technique.
Quote by urik
That's some VERY impressive tremolo picking.

She and John Williams have the best technique, in my personal experience.
My God, it's full of stars!
Viruosity is a mesh of creative (IMO) songwriting and being able to play technical pieces.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by johnpetrucci05
Marty and Eric are great musicians but no virtuosos. He screws up quite a bit in that Tornado of Souls solo and has pretty bad technique.

Haha, and Petrucci is any better?

If any guitar player could be be called a virtuoso, it would be Shawn Lane.
Quote by johnpetrucci05

Did you watch that Cliffs of Dover vid? It's a beautiful, crazily difficult piece of music, and he plays it immaculately. Can you write like that?
I realize that, like me, you're a Petrucci guy (obviously ), but that does not mean that anyone below his level of absolute perfection isn't a virtuoso. You're holding the bar too high for virtuosity. However, I will agree, Marty Friedman is not a virtuoso. Incredible, yes; Virtuoso, not quite.
Jazz virtuosos:

Brad Mehldau's opening improv piano solo Great polyphonic interactions and unprecedented skills in musical developments in an improvisation, all the while being very insightful in his playing. I can't even begin to fathom how he manages.

Bireli Lagrene playing a solo guitar improvisation Chops and whims. A very special guitar player.

Joe Pass playing a solo guitar rendition of What Are You Doing for the Rest of Your Life Joe Pass is truly a pianist inside of a guitar player's body. His ability to bring chords and melodies together this seamlessly is a rare gift.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by johnpetrucci05

Marty may not have the most chops or the cleanest lines, but I'd rather listen to him over most other rock guitarists any day. His improvisations are distinctively lyrical and provocative, a feat that I don't feel most other rock guitarists even take into account. He also has great dynamics and awareness.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by diminishedtobme
Haha, and Petrucci is any better?

If any guitar player could be be called a virtuoso, it would be Shawn Lane.

I agree on Shawn Lane. And the reasons I think Petrucci is a virtuoso because there is literally nothing he can't do. 30 notes per second no problem. New time signature every bar, no problem. Key modulation every bar, no problem. New tempo every bar, no problem. Improvise over all this and the most complex chords ever, no problem. In addition he pretty much has all styles under his belts even Eastern music, "Home."
^ Not to be rude, but I assure you that there is much he cannot do, as with most musicians.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Marty may not have the most chops or the cleanest lines, but I'd rather listen to him over most other rock guitarists any day. His improvisations are distinctively lyrical and provocative, a feat that I don't feel most other rock guitarists even take into account. He also has great dynamics and awareness.

Me too, he is one of my personal favorites. However just because I like his music doesn't mean he is a virtuoso.

Chris Broderick is really versatile as well, forgot to throw him in there.
My guitar teacher maybe isn't quite the virtuoso one may think of off the top of their head, but he's quite creative. Have a listen, the video is off from the sound though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj5YQh3cFAg
An original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OYuowFuS_8&feature=related
Classical music on a lute.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Last edited by hethamulburton at Feb 26, 2008,
Quote by johnpetrucci05
Me too, he is one of my personal favorites. However just because I like his music doesn't mean he is a virtuoso.

I didn't say I liked his music. I said that I'd rather listen to his playing. That, to me, indicates more virtuosity.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^ Definitely has skill as a player, but I didn't much care for the piece; a bit too atonal for me, though I love pieces like Danza Caracteristica and the works of Phillip Houghton.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Jazz virtuosos:

Brad Mehldau's opening improv piano solo Great polyphonic interactions and unprecedented skills in musical developments in an improvisation, all the while being very insightful in his playing. I can't even begin to fathom how he manages.

Bireli Lagrene playing a solo guitar improvisation Chops and whims. A very special guitar player.

Joe Pass playing a solo guitar rendition of What Are You Doing for the Rest of Your Life Joe Pass is truly a pianist inside of a guitar player's body. His ability to bring chords and melodies together this seamlessly is a rare gift.

Yesyesyes. Especially Pass, IMO. I can't say enough about him. His chord-melody playing is absolutely incredible. He's almost a one-man big band. And when he's accompanied, his regular lead playing and comping are amazing as well.

I hadn't heard of Mehldau until now, but that was amazing. I can hardly believe that it's improvised.
Quote by urik
I think this is a bad example. Although for his time, Beethoven was a Piano Virtuoso, I think there would be better examples because Liszt inarguably wrote far more difficult material for the Piano. Plus, I don't think it takes a virtuoso to be able to play that piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y9Wiqsd9xY
Quote by urik
I agree here. Many people think Paganini was the first Virtuoso Violinist. But I highly doubt this is his most difficult piece.
Quote by urik
Feliciano is more of a Flamenco Guitar than a Classical Guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6oAQlejRDA
Quote by urik
I personally can't name any Virtuoso Electric guitarists off the top of my head.
Last edited by The Madcap at Mar 1, 2008,
violin x like what....40? kids on stage?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FBC6VbugJt0
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Quote by urik

Jesus Christ that was boring...but holy shit...it was amazing at the same time. I think I'd only listen to that for novelty though. So fast.

Guitar:

Joe Pass - All the Things You Are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWa6aChSf1w

Wes Montgomery - Nica's Dream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCTe9VL30V0

Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist): Fermented Offal Discharge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRD6mjrUMo

(tenor) Saxophone:

John Coltrane - Giant Steps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kotK9FNEYU

Electric Bass:

Jaco Pastorius - Portrait of Tracy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25DXcFg1TFo

EDIT-

Ach, I've been beaten to Joe Pass...seriously...His 'Virtuoso" album is insane.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Last edited by Dirtydeeds468 at Mar 2, 2008,
Holdsworth makes guitar playing look so easy and effortless...

Every time I see him play I feel like killing myself.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
I think this is a bad example. Although for his time, Beethoven was a Piano Virtuoso, I think there would be better examples because Liszt inarguably wrote far more difficult material for the Piano. Plus, I don't think it takes a virtuoso to be able to play that piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y9Wiqsd9xY

Bah there is much harder music out there then liszt, he was a piano virtuoso for his time, but inarguably, Scriabin is awesome.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mGe18CsMTbA&feature=related

(This is tongue in cheek by the way, don't take offense)

EDIT --> Well I can't ever watch this video without becoming jittery, so here is a tremendous performance by virtuoso Emil Giles playing Prokofiev's 3rd sonata

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UKJw9uYVmNo
Last edited by Erc at Mar 2, 2008,
Me.

But seriously all virtuosity really happens to be is people who practice all day really, so when I think of virtuosity I try not to go to the people with impeccable technique. Even though it is quite the feat. What I think is really amazing is when somebody who uses the same 12 notes (or less) as everybody else, but still manages to move you more than everyone else. Someone who could do this consistently would be a real virtuoso.
myspace.com/sidetrackedrock
myspace.com/scottkrausmusic

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

I found the damn sig thing!
Quote by grampastumpy
He's almost a one-man big band.
That's exactly what I told my friend yesterday!

I hadn't heard of Mehldau until now, but that was amazing. I can hardly believe that it's improvised.

I predict that Mehldau will be one of the greats down the line. Both he and Kurt Rosenwinkel are modern legends.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2