Well to be perfectly honest, I've been playing for a decent amount of time and I could NEVER alternate pick well. I've been trying harder more recently and eventually the pick just slipped down in my fingers and when it was in this position, I started to play perfect. It's so weird how it just was how I hold the pick. Anyone else hold it this way, all the way down on the joint thing on your thumb?

i hold my pick so the fat end hits the strings.
Real eyes realise real lies.
same way I do it
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
that's pretty similar to most people, i'd say. pick might be slightly lower down the thumb than some would do it but that's personal preference. if you wanna see some weird picking handedness, check out marty friedman. how he hasn't gotten carpal tunnel syndrome or something, i dont know.
ya same here my picks a lil higher on the thumb...jus preference really though....jus practise alot...slow at first and then casually speed it up...open at first then try and do some scales or learn an easy solo to screw around with....dont over heat urself though cause then ull jus get frustrated and give up lol
Quote by stwb
that's pretty similar to most people, i'd say. pick might be slightly lower down the thumb than some would do it but that's personal preference. if you wanna see some weird picking handedness, check out marty friedman. how he hasn't gotten carpal tunnel syndrome or something, i dont know.

His fretting technique is weird too. His pinky is always curled up unless he absolutely has to use it. Nevertheless an amazing player.
On-topic, that's how I hold mine, except with alot less plastic showing, gives me better control and its easier to do pinch harmonics.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1