Page 1 of 3
i want to see who everyone thinks is the greatest guitarist ever in any style of music from classical such as Andres Sorgovia (might be misspelled) to classic rock w/ Jimmy Page.

My personal opionion would have to be Page. He revolutionized guitar playing bringing it to the forefront of music. He basically made the guitar solo famous w/ awesome ones like Stairway, communication breakdown, dazed and confused, and many more.
EVH's pretty sick, but page, clapton, hendrix, vaughn were all revolutionaries 2
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
Quote by devit
Alexi Laiho

+
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Neal Schon. His album "Beyond the Thunder" is awesome. He also beat Yngwie Malmsteen in a guitar contest when they were younger
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Quote by devit
Alexi Laiho

yeah hes good, but there are much better shredders out there, and he didnt really do anything new
PM BlackicN to join

PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
very true guitar god and i def discount slash because he himself said that page was his hero
EVH is amazing, tapping is so awesome sounding. Not to mention he used harmonics in a sensible way, not like Zakk Wylde, who uses them like a no talent ass clown.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
evh is the man but you think he's the best ever? i could tap after 3 monthes of playing guitar
Quote by JustinT80
EVH to me is by far the best guitarist ever.

he's a piece of ****
Quote by sacamano79
EVH is amazing, tapping is so awesome sounding. Not to mention he used harmonics in a sensible way, not like Zakk Wylde, who uses them like a no talent ass clown.

he didnt invent tapping you know right? some jazz guitarists had been doing 4 finger tapping for years,i cant remember one guys name, but he was a former keyboarist, but wanted to learn guitar, and decided to play it like a keyboard
PM BlackicN to join

PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
well i'll give you there are better but Alexi is my favorite guitarist(well out of the ones i have met)
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by jackson001
Neal Schon. His album "Beyond the Thunder" is awesome. He also beat Yngwie Malmsteen in a guitar contest when they were younger

Wasnt Neal Schon from Journey???

oohhh and the greatest in my opinoin wouls stevie ray Vaughn or Page
Al Di Mieola
Allen Holdsworth
Shawn Lane
Steve Morse

All of those guys took guitar to a whole new level of technique and musicality previously unheard of.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Al Di Mieola
Allen Holdsworth
Shawn Lane
Steve Morse

All of those guys took guitar to a whole new level of technique and musicality previously unheard of.

+1.
I also would include John Mclaughin.
Slash, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton, Page, Zakk Wylde, Dime, Randy Rhoads, EVH, Joe Perry, Mark Tremonti, Tom Morello, Kirk Hammet, John Fruschiante (spelling?), Petrucci, Vai, Satch, Malmstein and countless others i forgot.
Brad Paisley is also overlooked a lot, he's a great player.

(these are in no real order, just the order they came to my head)
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by //ANDREW\\
Wasnt Neal Schon from Journey???

oohhh and the greatest in my opinoin wouls stevie ray Vaughn or Page

Yep. Journey is his baby. He also did some solo work that just blows a lot of music out of the water. Has a strong jazz fusion fell to it, in "Beyond the Thunder"
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Steve Vai, hands down. I've never seen anyone come anywhere near him in sheer technical prowess.
Quote by SimplyXquisite
Steve Vai, hands down. I've never seen anyone come anywhere near him in sheer technical prowess.

See my list....

Quote by cerveza
Slash, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton, Page, Zakk Wylde, Dime, Randy Rhoads, EVH, Joe Perry, Mark Tremonti, Tom Morello, Kirk Hammet, John Fruschiante (spelling?), Petrucci, Vai, Satch, Malmstein and countless others i forgot.
Brad Paisley is also overlooked a lot, he's a great player.

(these are in no real order, just the order they came to my head)

That is the most stereotypical list of almost guitar gods I've ever seen. Very few of them have really done anything new. Tom Morello, and Vai are probably the most original people on that list.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I'd say Buckethead is the best.

I only have one of his albums at the moment, but I've heard a lot of his stuff.

His genre of music is so vast and his skill level so high.

But, because he is so secretive and hasn't jumped onto the mainstream wagon he hasn't been recognized.

It's as if he speaks through his guitar.

I'm not saying I'm right, it's all about opinions too, but you have to realize despite his choices and his odd life style, he is truly a great guitarist.
Michael Angelo Batio ofc, fastest and still puts emotion in his music. invented the over under technique, double and quad guitars. he is over all the best in every way :P

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
Michael Angelo Batio ofc, fastest and still puts emotion in his music. invented the over under technique, double and quad guitars. he is over all the best in every way :P

+1
Gear:
-Peavey VTM 120
-Godin Lg (Dimarzio Evo2 and Air Norton)
-Fender MIM Strat with hotrails
-Custom Tele
-Dean Hardtail USA
-Dean 79 USA
Eric Johnson - Just an outstanding player whose tone is everything and technique is flawless

Phil Keaggy - monster at looping and jamming, something new every time he plays

Pat Metheny - to me is theall around best guitarist ever. Jazz, classical, rock, nobody handles 6 strings (or 10, 12, or ??) better than him.

As for EVH, not so much. Look, the man is technically brilliant. His technique is beyaond great. BUT most of his solos in songs do not fit the songs. It's like he just whipped out these technically brilliant solos that have nothing to do with the song they are for. To me, less technically adept guitar players such as Ace Frehley or Elliot Easton are much better lead guitar players because their solos ALWAYS fit the song. EVH can play, but just not in the context of the song.
Jimi Hendrix invented a new style of playing and owned at it. Rolling stones number 1 guitarist. Duane Allman is good and Next would have to be Randy Rhoads
Quote by guitargod21136
yeah hes good, but there are much better shredders out there, and he didnt really do anything new

-But most shredders aren't as good at rhythm as Alexi is, and he has a very interesting style of soloing that makes up for not being the fastest etc.
-He did do something new. Children of Bodom's sound definitely had an impact on the sound of metal, and gave it a new sound.

I'm not an Alexi fan boy or anything, but I just wanted to say that. As for my favourite, it would be Randy Rhoads.
Be cool.
Page 1 of 3