i recently played on a epiphone half cant remember the model but it was like 350 bucks and sounded really good. But i was wondering whats the best half stack for under 400 bucks im on a budget
No. Just no. You won't find a DECENT half-stack for under $400. Just get a tube combo. And if it isn't loud enough buy a cabinet extension, just make sure that the two will work together.

EDIT: Sorry if I sounded like an a$$ there, I was only trying to add emphasis.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Feb 26, 2008,
The best halfstacks are going to be tube amps... And the only tube half stacks you're going to find under $400 are going to be the Epiphone Valve Jr. or the Blackheart. Both approx. $250USD, 5watt tube amps, with 1x12 cabs.

What kind of music do you like to play? Are you planning on gigging with it? For $400USD, you could get a decent tube combo that would also be powerful enough to gig with, provided you're willing to go used.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Christ, these threads get worse

You can't even get a crap half stack for $400 - buy a combo.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, I don't think the Epi VJ or the Blackheart are crap... but I doubt that's what he was looking for.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
What's the point with a halfstack anyway, besides looks? The Peavey VK212 I have is more than loud enough for about anything, and I can also put it on a cab if I wanted that for some reason.
I happen to like my Peavey VK stack, but I also got a super deal on it (new, and if I sold it used, I'd still make a profit). That and I find it easier to carry around (yes, even the 4x12), than a big honkin combo.

A lot of this "hate" towards stacks is a little misplaced I think. While I agree, you don't NEED a stack, one shouldn't be bashed for simply wanting or having one.

What should be the issue is WHICH stack you go for, not simply the stack vs. combo debate. If someone really wants a stack, they should be helped in obtaining a DECENT stack. In this case, it's not going to happen for $400USD, so then they should be helped in finding a good combo to fit their needs. That and a simple explanation of why (which in this case would be, he wouldn't be able to get a decent sounding one at $400USD, and those stacks he could afford, he really wouldn't want as there would be much better sounding and just as loud combos for the money he has).
Quote by Hakael
Well, I don't think the Epi VJ or the Blackheart are crap... but I doubt that's what he was looking for.

good (albeit pedantic) point, I was of course referring to the traditional head and 4x12 cab combination
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Oh, you know someone woulda thunk it brah!
Quote by Hakael
I happen to like my Peavey VK stack, but I also got a super deal on it (new, and if I sold it used, I'd still make a profit). That and I find it easier to carry around (yes, even the 4x12), than a big honkin combo.

A lot of this "hate" towards stacks is a little misplaced I think. While I agree, you don't NEED a stack, one shouldn't be bashed for simply wanting or having one.

What should be the issue is WHICH stack you go for, not simply the stack vs. combo debate. If someone really wants a stack, they should be helped in obtaining a DECENT stack. In this case, it's not going to happen for $400USD, so then they should be helped in finding a good combo to fit their needs. That and a simple explanation of why (which in this case would be, he wouldn't be able to get a decent sounding one at $400USD, and those stacks he could afford, he really wouldn't want as there would be much better sounding and just as loud combos for the money he has).

+1

There are so many bandwagoners on this site its hard to sort out independent, experienced advice from the attention/acceptance-seeking bandwagoners.

Hey threadstarter, are you willing to go used? It really opens up your options.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
If you can get about 100 more...go with the Valve King. It's the best freakin tube head on the market in it's price range. No question about it.
This is Bob. Bob likes sharp things. Bob likes you. I suggest you run from Bob.

I wish my grass was Emo so it would cut itself.
Hey i'm new to UG, but upon reading this thread i can say 2 things..A tube Stack is Def. the way to go as far as tone and warmth in sound. Myself being on a somewhat limited budget purchased a Solid-State Randall RX120RH. A 120 Watt amp head with a 4 X 12 cab. with randall Jaguar Speakers..BRAND NEW this stack was $499.00. Not a bad price at all, all things considered..
but that's not a tube stack.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

You can get the same warmth, tone, and even volume from a tube combo. The stack could conceivably be a little louder only because there are more speakers pushing more air. Probably the biggest asset to having a half-stack is the flexibility that comes with being able to swap different cabs, or connecting multiple heads to a cab and being able to switch between them. Other than that really, there's no real NEED for it as there are many tube combos that come with 2x12 enclosures, and just as many watts as the heads do.

Although I would say Randall's one of the better SS amps out there, the money probably could have been better spent on a tube combo that would have better tone, better reactability with pedals (meaning better effects), with just as much, if not more volume than that Randall half-stack.

I don't want to be dubbed a tone snob, I'm just simply stating this because I'd like to see people get the best they can possibly get for their hard earned money. I could've saved quite a bit had I found this place and took in some of the suggestions before buying some of my beginning equipment (started out with a few SS amps myself).
I'll happily recommend stacks if the budget allows - if somebody posts "What's a good amp for modern metal, I have £750?" then straight away it's a Laney GH50L and matching cab...however if they play classic rock and modern indie then the Orange Rocker 30 combo wins hands down.

However, pretty much every "which half stack" thread seems to have a budget of $500, and there simply nothing available in that price range...if you want to sound good then combos are the only option.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^

Agreed.

well i play classic rock and i guess i could go used if that helps any. Btw my standards for a amp haven't gotten to the point yet where i nitpick every little thing. i just want a pretty good stack i can plug a few pedals into and go from there. the epi sounded really good too btw cheap stack haters.
Quote by uncboy19
well i play classic rock and i guess i could go used if that helps any. Btw my standards for a amp haven't gotten to the point yet where i nitpick every little thing. i just want a pretty good stack i can plug a few pedals into and go from there. the epi sounded really good too btw cheap stack haters.

If you're picky about your tone then you don't want a crappy cheap half stack. Technically the Epi VJ isn't a half stack, it's just a head and cab...a half stack is a head on top of a 4x12 cab.

If you want a decent head and 4x12 cab then a grand is pretty much your absolute minimum budget, if you're just looking at small tube heads with 1x12 cabs then there's plenty to choose from.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by uncboy19

It's called having an ear for tone, not nitpicking or hating cheap halfstacks. Get a Crate V8 for $200 and buy a nice wah and delay and have a great practice setup.
I think that if its an Epi Half Stack, that sounded good, and was more than the $250 a VJ half stack is, it may have been the Epiphone SoCal, which is a nice tube halfstack, especially for the money. I played it once. It didnt have enough gain for me but it sounded great for classic rock stuff.
EDIT: ohhh maybe not. I think they jacked up the price on it. I remember seeing it as a cheap affordable tube halfstack, now its $800... sorry man.
I think the cheapest (at least in the US), and still decent half-stack would probably be the Peavey Windsor.
if u can stretch to about $550 u can get a peavey windsor with a cheap cab- behringer make a 3x12 for about £250 and for the price its amazing, overall its only more than OK but if ur on a budget and really want a stacl try that
note- cleans are hard to find on a windsor and many ppl will say they dont exist but you can get a warm subtle sound with the right tweaking.- just wait and save!

EDIT: saw the guy above me
best signature ever