How can you read these?
Smoke on the Water by Purple Rain
E----------------------------------------------------------
B----------------------------------------------------------
G------3------5-------------3-----6-----5-----------3----5-
D--5---3------5--------5----3-----6-----5------5----3----5-
A--5-------------------5-----------------------5-----------

I cant read these. Can you you guys explain how? I just need to know this and i'll leave this forum. This is driving me nutts. I know chords, and threads, but this is extreme.
Avenged Sevenfold Fan, proud of it.
ummm.. r u truly serious
well...first its by Deep Purple

and line reprsents a string
and the numbers r the frets u hold down
You play the fret number that the number shows on the string...so 5th fret on the D and A string.

Make sure you play both strings at the same time
Quote by Green RATM Day
You play the fret number that the number shows on the string...so 5th fret on the D and A string.

Make sure you play both strings at the same time

But if theres 3 numbers, then what, I play both at the same time, how would I do that?
Quote by Mannypedraza
But if theres 3 numbers, then what, I play both at the same time, how would I do that?

Then you play all 3....

Try to get your fingers in a position that isnt impossible, then strum all 3 strings
Ok, im confused...how do I play them at the same time. And, what am I suppose to strum?
Quote by Mannypedraza
Ok, im confused...how do I play them at the same time. And, what am I suppose to strum?

Theres going to be like a tiny tiny bit if a difference between each string you strum...like it's impossible to strum 3 strings at the EXACT same time, but very close.

You strum the strings that it tells you (the strings with numbers on them)
Ok, but when im struming it, it sounds all soft, its suppose to sound all hardcore, is it my guitar or is it me doing wrong.
Well if your using your finger, it might sound a lot softer.

If your using a pick....then it should sound fine. Could be your guitar...? If you have an electric guitar, and you have it set to your neck pickup, it might sound a muddier or deeper.
Dude, im new, so its not my guitar.
Its probasbly me. is the string all the way on top 6th string?
Hm...problems still not fixed. Ok, i'll see what im doing right.
Here's an easier way to play that song.

Remember that the capital E at the bottom is the thickest string, and the lowercase e at the top is the thinnest string.

e|-----------------------------------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------------------------------|
G|---0--3--5-----0--3--6--5-----0--3--5-----3--0----|
D|---0--3--5-----0--3--6--5-----0--3--5-----3--0----|
A|-----------------------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------------|

As you can see. The only strings with numbers on them are the D string, and the G string. In this case, you won't be playing the other strings, so forget about them.

Now the first part of the tab says zero. So you don't press down on any frets. Just play those two strings at the same time (hit the strings in a downwards motion but only play those strings. After that, the tab says 3 on the G string and on the D string. So you use your index finger to push down on the third fret on the D string and use your middle finger to do the same on the G string. And again, strum those two strings while holding down those frets and only hit those two strings.

Get it?
lmao purple rain...thats from prince.....its totally the wrong tab too.... its all power chords....
---------------------------------------------------
-5-8-10---5-8-11-10---5-8-10-8-5----------
-5-8-10---5-8-11-10---5-8-10-8-5----------
-3-6-8-----3-6--9---8---3-6-8--6-3---------- <-----biggest string

u strike all three chords per beat...it gives it a deeper sound....almost deep enough to be purple :-o...and voila u learned power chords...each ones a power chord theres no indivual notes...
Quote by Mannypedraza
How can you read these?
Smoke on the Water by Purple Rain
B----------------------------------------------------------
G------3------5-------------3-----6-----5-----------3----5-
D--5---3------5--------5----3-----6-----5------5----3----5-
A--5-------------------5-----------------------5-----------

I cant read these. Can you you guys explain how? I just need to know this and i'll leave this forum. This is driving me nutts. I know chords, and threads, but this is extreme.

First, put tabs in [code] tags.

Second, each line represents a string. If you couldn't see that it means you should look up the names of the strings. Guitar's not all fun and games, but it does rock

The numbers indicate which frets to play on. This tab tells you to strum the 5th fret on both A and D strings, the two below the thickest, then 3rd on D and G and then 5th fret. However, I'd do it like this:
E-------------------------------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------------------
G--0---3------5------0----3-----6-----5------0----3----5----3---0---
D--0---3------5------0----3-----6-----5------0----3----5----3---0---
A-------------------------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Check this out: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/reading_guitar_tablature.html