I'm writing a guitar instrumental and I want the notes to be played in the lower frets (12,14,15 etc.) How do I write sheet music to show this? Thank you.
u cant thats the disadvantage of sheet music. it doesnt tell you where on the guitar to play it. the same notes are all over the guitar but they each have a different ring to them.
I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow world.

Ibanez RG2 EX1 (Black)
Line 6 Spider II 75w
Sekova Mandolin
Team Custom Traditional 4 string bass
Yamaha E403 keyboard
My Last.fm
Myspace
use the notes below the staff or write the notes wherever you want and make a note to take them down an octave
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
ok.. the guy that commented is absolutely uneducated in music.
as seen here, the different octaves are written in
low E way at the bottom below the staff
and high e one space before the top of the staff

to the guy that commented first
maybe you should actually study music and not just read off tabs
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Thank you but I'm still a bit confused. I know where all the notes are, what I want, is to show a change in the octave so that it's the same notes, but played higher on the fretboard, as in at frets 12, 14, etc.
Quote by anoreorcist12
u cant thats the disadvantage of sheet music. it doesnt tell you where on the guitar to play it. the same notes are all over the guitar but they each have a different ring to them.

You can write guitar music on sheet music which shows where to play it, even a special way to show barred chords or when to barre your fingers, which helps with the position problem.
oh really? i didnt kno that. i stand corrected
I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow world.

Ibanez RG2 EX1 (Black)
Line 6 Spider II 75w
Sekova Mandolin
Team Custom Traditional 4 string bass
Yamaha E403 keyboard
My Last.fm
Myspace
octaves in sheet music are 3 and a half lines up
look where C is
its one line below the staff.. this is called a ledger line by the way
then the next C up
is right above the middle of the staff
A string 3rd fret
is the low C
the high C
can be written
A String 15th fret
D string 10th fret
or G string 5th fret
am i making sense?
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
sorry for flaming you anoreorcist12
i just dont like false information :]

and in sheet music
you can always write in notes
like in my post above
i showed where the high C could be played in 3 different places
(it can also be played B string 1st fret.. sorry)
you can note which string to play it on
Ok, I get it now, but my song takes place mainly on the A string. Since it's already in ledger lines, and going up takes me to the G string, how do I show that?

You use A String 15th fret as an example, that is what I'm trying to show.
Last edited by TheIceCreamMan at Feb 26, 2008,
There are symbols for that... 8va, 15ma, 8vb, and 15ma. I can't remember exactly how to use them and I'm too lazy to google it though. You can probably find something about it.
A capital C, followed by a roman numeral dictates what fret to barre. I don't know if there's a correct way to mark a position, but this will certianly give the player a hint.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
i would say just write it in the music
what notes are played
with the proper time written in
and its up to the musician to play the notes on which string
Dude... his whole point from the beginning was that he wanted the notes played in a certain spot.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
So there's no real way to say "C", A string 15th fret specifically? Is that what you're saying? Sorry, I'm a little confused.
im not sure that there is a specific way, but you can always make notes in your music
like above where the A shows up in the music
say (played on A string)
because the higher you play on the fretboard
the more ring you lose
just make sure that your writing the A on the proper line
(the second space from the bottom)
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
A capital C, followed by a roman numeral dictates what fret to barre. I don't know if there's a correct way to mark a position, but this will certianly give the player a hint.

Icecreamman, you can use this technique.
EDIT: I was wrong. The way I've seen it done is two numbers are stacked on top of each other, and a roman numeral is placed beside it: 4/3 XV
The top number means the lowest string to barre while the bottom number indicates the number of strings to cover. The roman numeral tells you which fret number to barre. In this case barre the D string to B string at the 15th fret.
Also you can write an 8 over the top of the note to indicate to play it an octave higher, or a 15 for two octaves higher.
Last edited by st.stephen at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by st.stephen

Also you can write an 8 over the top of the note to indicate to play it an octave higher, or a 15 for two octaves higher.

I can do this? That was all I needed to know, thank you. Also, how do I say an octave lower, if I want to play the D on the 5th fret of the A string what should I put?