Poll: Music in the 90s overall - good or bad?
Poll Options
View poll results: Music in the 90s overall - good or bad?
Good
72 80%
Bad
7 8%
Meh/don't care/don't know/cake/pie
11 12%
Voters: 90.
Don't know if this is the right forum to post this - but recently I've been thinking where this myth about there being no good music in the 90s come from.

Where does it come from? Most of my favorite music was made in the 90s.

Poll will be here.
I'm a communist. Really.
People actually think there's no good music from the 90's? They should listen to Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Guns N Roses(Use Your Illusion albums) then.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
i think they're refering to the 80's, but even then there was some good stuff. It's the clothing and cocaine that was a disgrace
Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Radiohead, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Jeff Buckley, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots...I could go on but its bedtime.
Last edited by i_am_teh_walrus at Feb 26, 2008,
I'm gonna say bad mostly, but there was some good music. ^^
Quote by Vermintide
I love getting hit in the balls.

Sometimes, I masturbate while imagining my girlfriend is ramming her knee up into my precious orbs. It turns me on so much.

Actually, that's not true. I don't have a girlfriend
Quote by shakes23
I'm gonna say bad mostly, but there was some good music. ^^

I'd love to hear reasons :P
I'm a communist. Really.
It's been said, but: Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Rage, Tool, RHCP, STP, GNR, Metallica, etc.

Plus a lot of just fun music, not really "good" especially by elitist guitarist standards, but take stuff like Sugar Ray, Third Eye Blind, Green Day (before they sucked), Fastball, Counting Crows and tell me you don't like it...you can't.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
jane's addiction's ritual de la habitual
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
The only time when music has gone slower than usual is when lypsyncing started being used in that show with that guy. It was a show were kids would dance and famous artists would "perform" their new single. The host was some guy who was sued with Alan Freed.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Soundgarden and Tool make it good enough. And there were many more good bands along with them.
Pavement, all the Kinsella bands, Get Up Kids, Saetia, Promise Ring, and so much more. I'd say a pretty good decade for music.
Quote by Raziel2p
I'd love to hear reasons :P

Well it's all a matter of opinion, but it seemed to me that the 90's was mostly rap and pop music which I don't like. Tool, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, so on ect. are good.
Quote by Vermintide

Sometimes, I masturbate while imagining my girlfriend is ramming her knee up into my precious orbs. It turns me on so much.

Quote by shakes23
Well it's all a matter of opinion, but it seemed to me that the 90's was mostly rap and pop music which I don't like. Tool, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, so on ect. are good.

There was just as much rock/alternative/grunge/metal as there was rap and hip hop. Hell, maybe even more. You just have to know who they were.
Well, I'd like to hear more than just band names. ^_^

I'll toss in my opinion, then. Most of the best death and black metal was spawned around the early 90s - Death, Entombed, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Emperor, Dissection, Dimmu Borgir, Meshuggah and oh yes, Opeth. I think this was the start of the whole sinister guitar sound era, with lots of harmonic minor and double harmonic stuff - and while it can seem overused in today's metal, I think it was very well used then. The chart music was awful of course, but no worse than it was in the 80s.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
There was just as much rock/alternative/grunge/metal as there was rap and hip hop. Hell, maybe even more. You just have to know who they were.

Don't like grunge, and I've always leaned more towards classic than modern rock. You have a point though.
Quote by Vermintide

Quote by SeveralSpecies

What he said, although I don't think the alternative rock was very "underground". Just look at Nirvana and R.E.M. and many others...
I'm a communist. Really.
I quite liked it. Lot of good one hit wonders on the radio. Plus all the bands mentioned above..and Radiohead.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by shakes23
Don't like grunge, and I've always leaned more towards classic than modern rock. You have a point though.

Well yea if you don't like the modern alternative style, you won't like the 90's. I can't stand that hair-metal crap from the 80's and therefor don't like the 80's that much. The 80's were still one of the most influential decades for music, however. That's when metal began thriving.
Some damn good emo came out of the 90s. SDRE, Cap'n Jazz, Promise Ring, Get Up Kids, American Football, Texas Is Reason, etc... Some of my favorite bands ever. Also Pavement and The Pixies own. There a more elaborate post.
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by shakes23

Most of the Rap and some of the pop was still better than today.

Was music overall good? That's opinion. Was music better than now? Yes, that's my opinion, but that makes it fact.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Radiohead

Nine Inch Nails

RHCP

Soundgarden

Tool

And what about bands that weren't grunge or hard rock/metal? Counting Crows? Gin Blossoms? Goo goo dolls?

The 90's were filled with great music.
Yea 90's is actually my favorite when I think about it.

I wonder how big blues would have been in the 90's had SRV not died.
so i guess nobody likes jane's addiction...:[
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Good, IMO.

One of the better decades of music in the past 50 years, both in terms of non-mainstream music and mainstream music.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
at the gates, anyone?
My Guitars:
One
Two
Quote by The Needles
All the kids in the coffee houses
try to act like they know what loud is
all they know is an electric beat
if you're rockin to this, you'll be rockin with me!
plenty of good stuff in the 90's. Rage Against the Machine, Weezer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Rancid, Wu-Tang Clan, and plenty more.
Quote by apollo718
at the gates, anyone?

That was actually the first band that popped into my head when I saw the thread, since I've been listening to them a lot lately.

Carcass, also. And how could we forget about the creation of the almighty Opeth?

Metal had a lot of great stuff come about.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
the 90's had great music
i don't think Tool is a reason why the 90's had great music.
that's just me though
Nirvana, RATM, I think those were pretty damn good
IMHO 90s had a lot better music than whats out there now (new bands anyways)
Machine Heads mighty Burn My Eyes album

Sepulturas best output

Fear Factory

In Flames

all the grunge bands previously listed