my english teacher's a dirty ***** and, on monday, gave us the following assignments:
a whole chapter in our vocab book to be turned in on tuesday(which i did)
an essay to be turned in on tuesday (which i did)
an essay to be turned in on wednesday (which i did not do)
we had a snow day today, and i say there's a chance we will tomorrow, but idk, since we've used up all our snow days; they'll probably be homos and makes us go. anywho, the instructions for my essay are
Quote by gay english teacher
Using Tennessee Williams's play Cat On a Hot Tin Roof, write an essay in which you explain the techniques the playwright uses to guide his or her audience's responses to the central characters and the action.

You might consider the effect on the audience of things like setting, the use of comparable and contrasting characters, and the characters' responses to each other. Support your argument with specific references to the play. Do not give a plot summary.

the very first time i read this, i thought i understood it, but as i analyzed it more and more, i got more and more confused, and now i have no clue wtf to do. i really don't want someone to do this for me, i'm just lost. if someone could just tell me what to do, like give one example, or an example from any play, i'd appreciate it.
Have you all been studying playwright techniques? If not, I'm not sure how he/she expects you to analyze the techniques utilized in said play...
When I'm in this situation, I just think about the other kids in the class; they probably won't understand it perfectly either and chances are your essay will be better than most. Just do it, it doesn't have to be perfect. The important thing is you have something to hand in.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
stab your teacher, then take over the school?.
you might have to kill the principal i suppose
lighting techniques, blocking techniques, scenery, focus and attention of the other actors...its all there. you just have to look at it a little bit harder
It is a badly worded question. I think she's asking basically this: What techniques does Williams use to create an emotional response?

Williams is pretty good. Streetcar was an excellent play. Haven't read Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
"You might consider the effect on the audience of things like setting, the use of comparable and contrasting characters, and the characters' responses to each other. Support your argument with specific references to the play. Do not give a plot summary."
Just consider what possible, deliberate things Williams did to make Cat a deeper, more interesting play. The setting? How does it (the locale AND time period remember) relate to the book's topic. Comparable and contrasting characters? Tennessee uses a lot of his symbolism in his plays, and if you can find something like that you can go on about it for ours while your teacher creams over it.
As for character response, it's pretty straightforward from there.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9