Overdrives can help clear muddiness from distortion on a tube amp when you roll the gain back and increase the level on the pedal right?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
what do you mean by increase the level on the pedal
and yes rolling back the gain gets rid of the muddiness
not necesarily try messing with the EQ first and if that dosent help then sure roll back the gain
treeble results in a lot of muddiness so when the gain is up dont have the treble to high
if you want a high atack then bring the trebble up but roll back on the mids to compress it some thats what i do
By increase the level, I mean the volume. Its labeled as level on most pedals anyways
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

the idea is that you have the gain on the pedal way down and turn up the volume or 'level' on the pedal.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
the idea is that you have the gain on the pedal way down and turn up the volume or 'level' on the pedal.

Thats what I said in the first post.. now my question is will that clear up muddy distortion from a tube amp?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

If you are trying to play loud the pedal level should be set low and the amp should be doing most of the work.

If you are trying to play quiet the pedal should be set higher and the amp volume should be set quieter.
Quote by Fat Brian
If you are trying to play loud the pedal level should be set low and the amp should be doing most of the work.

If you are trying to play quiet the pedal should be set higher and the amp volume should be set quieter.

I never mentioned anything about wanting to get a loud sound/quiet sound.

My question: Will an Overdrive with the volume high and the gain low clear up muddy distortion from a tube amp?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

No, it will not. Increasing the signal will, if anything, only increase the 'muddiness'.
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
So is there anything (pedal-wise) that clears up muddy distortion?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Yes, in some cases it will clear up muddiness, making the amp sound more "tight." It's a common application that a lot of metal guitarists use on the distorted channel of their amps to tighten up the sound.

If you're using a low amount of gain, chances are it won't tighten it up as much, just add a bit more gain.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com