Page 1 of 9
This doesnt belong in the religion thread for a few reasons. Im not talking about a certain religion, and it can be made much broader than only having a religious view. Read on.

So, as I was little I went to church. To be honest, I really had no clue what anyone was talking about. It was simply a weekly annoyance that I had to attend without a fuss.

My father never attended though. I would always ask why, and he would always change the subject. On through the years, he taught me to be a free-thinker. Now, Im not talking about 'rebel against everything, be a total jerk off' type thing. More of a 'open your eyes, think about it differently and see what you come up with.'

I think this was both a blessing, and a huge pain in my ass. I can clearly see single minded thinkers (im sure most of you can too). Not open to different ways of thinking, and pretty much anything they were not taught must be wrong. Regardless of my views on religion or humans in general, Ive noticed something.

I have nothing higher to look up to. No higher power to make myself a better person, nothing to look forward to. In a way, I see how corrupt humans are naturally, and it depresses the **** out of me. We constantly have TV preachers (touching on religion, because its kind of what made me think of this) asking for a pledge of money to their church, when they are wearing suits that cost more than my car, infomercials clearly using peoples lack of intelligence to sell a product, etc.

Some days I wish I was like almost every other person out there, thinking their is a higher power, without looking at different views (of which I sadly favor), without second guessing or questioning someones intentions, and even openly being taken advantage of.

Anyone feel like this? No lame 'wall of text' stuff. Either read it and post. Read it and leave. Or leave if your to lazy.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
Nope. I don't really believe in God (I have an idea that there's something out there bigger than us, but that's about it), and I fucking love life.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
beliving in something that doesnt exist is stupid no matter how good it makes you feel. im not religious and feel great anyways.
Call me Jack
God isnt real.. there's evidence out there that says the world is older than the Bible says it is. I can't stand the ignorance that comes with religion. But I do agree with the morales religion sets. Just my views on it
Member of the Thrash Brotherhood

Quote by valennic

You sir are a genious.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

Winnah right here.
yeah i agree with you in a way

organized religion is evil.

EDIT: so is ignorance

there's no god ftw!
i play an 8 string
I don't really believe in God, but I am always open. Just remember, you are unique just like everyone else.

-TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

EDIT Oh now I understand. I was raised Baptist, and while I have lost what little faith there was, my parent constantly tries to enforce it upon me. Bottom line, still a pain in my ass.

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

Last edited by TOAOIsaac at Feb 27, 2008,
Which God?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
No, this isnt about whether or not a higher power is real. Its about those who have lost religion or who have never had religion and the affects it has on your life. Blargh, my first post got all jumbled up with random thoughts here and there.
well im gonna have to disagree about the money thing. my church uses the money to help people. we had a family that pretty much lost their home during a hurricane. it was definitely not safe to live in. using the money people gave at church, a bunch of people totally redid the whole house so they could live in it. things like this are done at my church all the time. also, at my girlfriend's church, the preacher doesn't even wear a suit. he usually wears some nice pants and a button-up shirt.

edit: and i dont see how some people can think there is no God. when i see all the things around me, i think its crazy that someone would think there was no one to create all this.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at Feb 27, 2008,
the reason you feel depressed is because you are realizing that a lot of what people base their lives on is bull****.

it's easy to feel depressed when you think about this stuff, especially when you think of how many people go through life not questioning anything, not just their religion.

tolstoy, in his book confessions, talks about this sort of stuff, and he too gets depressed thinking about it
i feel the same disillusionment. :/
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Why do you need a god(s) to look forward to something or to make yourself a better person?
It's your fault that you think this, not your lack of religion's.
Quote by musicianamedave
Nope. I don't really believe in God (I have an idea that there's something out there bigger than us, but that's about it), and I fucking love life.

I envy your optimism.

TS, we hear about the cons, the scams, and the generally bad people all the time. Just remember, not everyone is like that; it's just, no one ever talks about the good people, and it's the bad that you tend to remember.

Just remember that there is a lot more good in the world than we, as humans, generally see.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
I agree with you, TS. However, I think working on improving yourself as a person WITHOUT the ultimate role model (such as a god) is what people ought to focus on. That's the goal I'm pursuing.

And all of you 15 year old atheists, if you're going to say god doesn't exist because it can't be proven, then you have to prove god doesn't exist, too. Otherwise, the tree in my yard doesn't exist, because I can't prove it to you.
I'm a communist. Really.
nah, i'm a christian. i was raised as one, but never really was, since i don't believe that you can actually grasp the concept of God until you're a little older. i never really believed until i was almost 16, and i started on my own. church had nothing to do with it. i'd believe in God with or without the Bible or religion or whatever. i'm not one of those SCREW ORGANIZED RELIGION people, but i'm not one who enjoys going to church on sundays and talks about growing deeper in my relationship with God or whatever. idk. i just meditate/pray/whatever once or twice a day and try not to do anything stupid or blatantly immoral.
Quote by klb93
God isnt real.. there's evidence out there that says the world is older than the Bible says it is. I can't stand the ignorance that comes with religion. But I do agree with the morales religion sets. Just my views on it

yeah i wondered why there are no cavemen in the bible
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
whats the point of this thread? well anyways yeah i know what you mean about people asking for money on tv those are the televangelists. Ignore those people. You know I dont like to get into religion myself even though im a christian, but dont judge based on the bad people only.

You know alot of people have given christianity a bad name but in ways i dont care either cuz religion is corrupt. All i worry about is jesus and nothing else. Because religion wont bring you happiness and I know cuz ive been in the catholic church and its lame.
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
*lifts up flameshield*

I am religious. I will not say which religion, but I will tell you right now that I'm not close minded. I chose it for myself. One can be open minded and religious you know.

By the way, there are many close minded atheists also *peaks in religion thread, then runs away in fear*
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I believe in God. I don't care if others don't, that's their choice. Just live life how you want and don't be bitter about it.
my father's jewish, my mother is catholic
until i was about ten, i went to temple, and then i started going to church
i have nothing against anyone's belief's and feel any can feel what the want to religiously
In catholic school, im basically a loner, i sit alone every class and dont talk at all, but every sunday when leaving class, i feel such a spiritual connection and it makes me happy that Im a catholic. My catholic school isn't really expensive, like 40 a year. It's organized and much more focused than many other churches around my house, it depends on where you are in the world
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
i feel EXACTLY THE SAME WAY.

i have thought of that almost word for word, and i've gone through what you've gone through.

but what i've come up with is that you cant really be depressed about it..

if you aren't certain (or don't believe at all) that you go anywhere after death, then isn't that more of a reason to enjoy your time living?

and yes, most humans are corrupt and blindly follow their religions (no offense to others), but perhaps it's insecurity that makes them become dependent on such a belief. those who choose not to follow a religion choose to become 'alone' in their life. and i think that's what you're feeling.

you just got to be strong and learn how to get past that.
i wouldnt say i do or dont believe in god. i dont practice any religion . one thing that does bother me is when people try and force it on you, or bash on religion. its your choice whether you believe in it or not.
a close friend or mine is mormon, he used to smoke pot and drink a lot and then he had a bad trip on mushrooms and went completely back to hard core mormonism. we went to his farewell at his church because he was going on a 3 year mission. and everyone he introduced my other friend and i to was like "do you have a book of mormon" "no, well hes one"
that really bothers me. i was there to see my friend for the last time and everyone was smothering us

other than that i have no problem with religion.
i even considered going to church a few months ago
Quote by Raziel2p
I agree with you, TS. However, I think working on improving yourself as a person WITHOUT the ultimate role model (such as a god) is what people ought to focus on. That's the goal I'm pursuing.

And all of you 15 year old atheists, if you're going to say god doesn't exist because it can't be proven, then you have to prove god doesn't exist, too. Otherwise, the tree in my yard doesn't exist, because I can't prove it to you.

You could take a picture of the tree in your backyard though, and it's not as outlandish a claim as a magic giant invisible man...
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by Ehh
This doesnt belong in the religion thread for a few reasons. Im not talking about a certain religion, and it can be made much broader than only having a religious view. Read on.

So, as I was little I went to church. To be honest, I really had no clue what anyone was talking about. It was simply a weekly annoyance that I had to attend without a fuss.

My father never attended though. I would always ask why, and he would always change the subject. On through the years, he taught me to be a free-thinker. Now, Im not talking about 'rebel against everything, be a total jerk off' type thing. More of a 'open your eyes, think about it differently and see what you come up with.'

I think this was both a blessing, and a huge pain in my ass. I can clearly see single minded thinkers (im sure most of you can too). Not open to different ways of thinking, and pretty much anything they were not taught must be wrong. Regardless of my views on religion or humans in general, Ive noticed something.

I have nothing higher to look up to. No higher power to make myself a better person, nothing to look forward to. In a way, I see how corrupt humans are naturally, and it depresses the **** out of me. We constantly have TV preachers (touching on religion, because its kind of what made me think of this) asking for a pledge of money to their church, when they are wearing suits that cost more than my car, infomercials clearly using peoples lack of intelligence to sell a product, etc.

Some days I wish I was like almost every other person out there, thinking their is a higher power, without looking at different views (of which I sadly favor), without second guessing or questioning someones intentions, and even openly being taken advantage of.

Anyone feel like this? No lame 'wall of text' stuff. Either read it and post. Read it and leave. Or leave if your to lazy.

Ehh...
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
Quote by Ehh

I beg to differ.
I don't think there is a god and I also think it's silly to think that without religion we wouldn't have morals which I've heard a lot of people say. Even if there is a creator of some kind I can guarantee it wouldn't be your standard angry vengeful old testament god. I recently heard somebody in my English class say that they believe in an afterlife because they simply have to to keep going. I just enjoy life for what it is and I'm perfectly happy. Would I even want to exist forever?
I don't believe in God but I can't deny that he exists to His believers and followers. I don't think it's sad or wrong that people believe in religion for something to strive for or better themselves with, but I don't think I need that kind of security blanket.
Drop another coin in the slot, and I will tell you more...
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I believe in God. I don't care if others don't, that's their choice. Just live life how you want and don't be bitter about it.

+1
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
I am trying to better myself, its quite hard though. For me at least. Its a shame that humans are designed the way they are. Shouldnt eveyone be like that that one genuinely cool person, the one that would do anything for you in your time of need?

Its like not having a virus on your computer, its really cool because theres no problems with your computer. It almost feels like a special privilege, but shouldnt every computer be like that? Trying to associate computers with my point? It might relate to people on here.
Quote by clancy256
i wouldnt say i do or dont believe in god. i dont practice any religion . one thing that does bother me is when people try and force it on you, or bash on religion. its your choice whether you believe in it or not.
a close friend or mine is mormon, he used to smoke pot and drink a lot and then he had a bad trip on mushrooms and went completely back to hard core mormonism. we went to his farewell at his church because he was going on a 3 year mission. and everyone he introduced my other friend and i to was like "do you have a book of mormon" "no, well hes one"
that really bothers me. i was there to see my friend for the last time and everyone was smothering us

other than that i have no problem with religion.
i even considered going to church a few months ago

+1 to this. Live your own life and stop telling people how they should live theirs. If someone believes in God, respect their choice and leave them to it. Don't call them stupid or ignorant. Same goes for religious people, stop trying to force people to believe in something they don't want to.
Quote by ebbbaaa
You could take a picture of the tree in your backyard though, and it's not as outlandish a claim as a magic giant invisible man...

Oops, that wasn't the tree in my back yard. It was a picture I found by googling "tree". But if I hadn't said, you wouldn't know. And if I took a picture of the tree in my back yard and posted "this isn't really my tree, I just googled 'tree' and posted the picture", you might have believed it. Or I might have photoshopped a tree into my back yard.

It's not proof. And neither is seeing it with your own eyes or even touching it with your hands, because everything is, in the end, simply electrical signals sent to your brain. You can't define "real".
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by garden of grey

Morals are incorporated into religion, they weren't created by it.

never said that. I said I like the morales they SET.. meaning the way they teach you to follow the morales, and how they SET the foundation for them.
Member of the Thrash Brotherhood

Quote by valennic

You sir are a genious.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

Winnah right here.
He does have a point, without a higher authority, how do you justify anything you do or any decisions you make. Sure you can find the answers to most things with logic. but some things have no true justification purely through logic. Who is to say one human is more correct with their decision than another. You need a higher authority to decide.

just stirring the pot
Quote by IzRG350
I don't think there is a god and I also think it's silly to think that without religion we wouldn't have morals which I've heard a lot of people say. Even if there is a creator of some kind I can guarantee it wouldn't be your standard angry vengeful old testament god. I recently heard somebody in my English class say that they believe in an afterlife because they simply have to to keep going. I just enjoy life for what it is and I'm perfectly happy. Would I even want to exist forever?

I'm pretty sure you would get bored of eternal happiness after a while...
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

I had religion early on in my life, as I was born in rural Southern-Baptist Virginia. Once my family moved however, there was no will to go to church, so eventually I stopped thinking about it. Then as I got a little older I realized it was crap.

I'm totally for some of the ideals of religion, such as bringing people together and helping people. But I don't agree with the higher power stuff or the way any of the religions have gone about it. And I disagree STRONGLY with being condemned just because you are part of another religion or gay.
Quote by mr.cheese..
Now I've got it! Masturbate in the mud while smoking weed!

Quote by darkstar2466
Meaning is not absolute.
Quote by blackflag49
God's a woman, n00b.

but the first thing he made in his image was what?

a MAN!

Quote by Raziel2p
It's not proof. And neither is seeing it with your own eyes or even touching it with your hands, because everything is, in the end, simply electrical signals sent to your brain. You can't define "real".

I used to think that way, but it gave me migraines.
Quote by Raziel2p

Oops, that wasn't the tree in my back yard. It was a picture I found by googling "tree". But if I hadn't said, you wouldn't know. And if I took a picture of the tree in my back yard and posted "this isn't really my tree, I just googled 'tree' and posted the picture", you might have believed it. Or I might have photoshopped a tree into my back yard.

are you rod serling ??!?!??!
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by Chak
I don't believe in God but I can't deny that he exists to His believers and followers. I don't think it's sad or wrong that people believe in religion for something to strive for or better themselves with, but I don't think I need that kind of security blanket.

That's one of the ways I've disproved God to myself. We're judged as good or evil based on morals, but morals created by society. Who's to say what's right or wrong? What if you lived in a society where theft or murder was condoned? If you indulged in such practices, would you go to hell, even if society tells you it's okay? Your post just reminded me of that.

My conclusion is my own. No amount of arguing is going to change my beliefs, just as I know nothing I say will chance anyone else's. So why not just let each other be, and be happy?
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by ebbbaaa

Zomg God is real!
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.