I'm am new to the guitar and teaching myself. I am currently trying to learn one of my favorite songs by Solomon Burke called "Don't Give Up On Me"
Its a relatively simple song I guess. But I'm confused about the finger placement, I just can't seem to pull it off. (tabs below)

| A# | A# | A# | A# | A#
e-------------------------------------------------------------------------
B-------3-----------3h4r3-----------3-----------3-----------3-------------
G-----3---3-------3-------3-------3---3-------3---3-------3---3-----------
D---3=------3---3-----------3---3-------3---3-------3---3-------3---------
A-1-----------1---------------1-----------1-----------1-------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am finding it difficult to have a finger on the first strut and have three strings pressed firmly on the third strut. Any advice/techniques? Thanks.
if your that new, bar chords are a bitch. just takes time to get up the strength.
sometimes its easier to start bar chords farther up the neck.
but i could be overestimating how new you are

edit: sorry i didnt explain more

your index on the first fret, the your ring pressing all the ones on the third. and then use you pinky to play the fourth fret note.
Last edited by litelbrown at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by litelbrown
if your that new, bar chords are a bitch. just takes time to get up the strength.
sometimes its easier to start bar chords farther up the neck.
but i could be overestimating how new you are

edit: sorry i didnt explain more

your index on the first fret, the your ring pressing all the ones on the third. and then use you pinky to play the fourth fret note.

Thanks for the tip. Thats what I was thinking. I just can't get my finger pressed flat enough to firmly press down all the strings.

What do you mean when you said use my pinky to play the fourth fret note?
Also, you don't have to play all the notes, it might be worth trying to barre the notes across the 3rd fret without stretching down your index finger to the 1st fret as well. Once you can comfotably barre across those 3 strings, you can try to add that extra note.

That bottom note is the root note, but it still sounds like the same chord without it. Lots of guitarists don't play full chords anyways, so it's good to experiment with playing different sections of the chord, instead of all the notes, like that tab.
Index finger on the 1st fret, bar the 3rd fret with your ring finger and have your pinky available to play the 4th.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic