Poll: Do you want the lol wut pear and icy hot back?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you want the lol wut pear and icy hot back?
Yes! Return the lol wut pear to the masses
77 65%
No! Keep these memes on the ban list
41 35%
Voters: 118.
Page 1 of 3
This is a poll for the pit community. Do you wish to have the two UG traditions, Icy Hot and the lol wut pear returned? As of now, they are punishable by a severe beating with the ban stick.

The argument for memes is that they are an inside joke, like one between friends. They're funny because the insiders know them and use them all the time, the basis of their appeal is that The Pit is a community and therefore inside jokes such as this should be allowed to be used freely. Icy Hot and The Pear aren't offensive to anyone, and can be extremely hilarious if used correctly in a thread, why ban something people derive enjoyment from that doesn't harm anyone?

The argument against memes is that they are used over 9000 times every second and contain no original content. They get stale and become unfunny and no one wants to see an old meme being beaten like a dead horse. The memes get irritating when they get stale to certain people and therefore should remain bannable content
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
Last edited by Rancid_Punk at Feb 27, 2008,
This is the internet, and is the only place where freedom of speech, one of the most valued human rights in the western world, can truly exist. My sig says it all.
You know i wouldnt mind those memes cuz there is times when they are used and its at an appropriate time and it makes everything funny. Then theres time where people just put it out there for meh.. so i say keep it banned cuz people dont know how to control themselves
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
Quote by Minkaro
No, ban them all, keep them banned, and ban people who use them.

They, and the people who use them, are idiotic.

Summed up my thoughts exactly.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by Esp_kill07
You know i wouldnt mind those memes cuz there is times when they are used and its at an appropriate time and it makes everything funny. Then theres time where people just put it out there for meh.. so i say keep it banned cuz people dont know how to control themselves

On the contrary, I have repeatedly opposed the use of the pear and its derivatives when it is inappropriate, and fully support the banning of those who use it inappropriately.
FFS, I really don't like reporting this stuff, but it needs to be. If you really want them back, take it up with the mods.

*reported*

Quote by Aramis
This is the internet, and is the only place where freedom of speech, one of the most valued human rights in the western world, can truly exist. My sig says it all.

This the internet, you can go anywhere you want. If you dont like it here, go somewhere else.
Quote by Aramis

What are you? An e-revolutionary?

This is a private site. And based in Russia. No freedom of speech western blah blah blah bull****.
ಥ_ಥ
I don't care either way simply because the memes were forced and always overused in unfunny situations. I made a clinical strength muscle relaxing rub reference in the Iraqi burning thread that was used appropriately, although it was probably in bad taste. The stupid pear was never funny and never will be no matter who many times you post it.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
The first argument doesn't work. They're not funny. Even "insiders" hate it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by soulflyV
FFS, I really don't like reporting this stuff, but it needs to be. If you really want them back, take it up with the mods.

*reported*

This the internet, you can go anywhere you want. If you dont like it here, go somewhere else.

You sir, are a bag of douche.
And you say we can go somewhere else to get our freedom of speech, but some of us enjoy the UG community and would rather see the masses decide through a political process than have everything controlled by a few people who weren't elected by the pitgoers to my knowledge.
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
Haha I like how everyone who posted here is against it, yet the votes are in favor of freeing the pear.
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
what did he ever do to you?

poor pear.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Rancid_Punk
And you say we can go somewhere else to get our freedom of speech, but some of us enjoy the UG community and would rather see the masses decide through a political process than have everything controlled by a few people who weren't elected by the pitgoers to my knowledge.

WORD.
Quote by Rancid_Punk

Well, when you joined, I'm sure you ticked something about agreeing to the terms of the website. Yes? Then you have no reason to complain.
Quote by soulflyV
Well, when you joined, I'm sure you ticked something about agreeing to the terms of the website. Yes? Then you have no reason to complain.

You know, there's an old saying that goes something to the effect of, "If you want to change something, you have to change it from the inside"
Quote by J-Spoon
Quote by Rancid_Punk

A political process?

What the ****?

You think this is some kind of country or something.

Let me once again echo my point.

THIS IS A PRIVATELY RUN WEBSITE FROM RUSSIA. THE OWNERS CAN RUN IT LIKE THEY CHOOSE

Thank you.
ಥ_ಥ
Oh, I would also like to point out something else. In a thread very similar to this, after it was closed by one of the mods (either carmel or divid3d, can't remember which) said that the whole "Free the Pear" revolution/group/what have you was useless, and that the pear would never be brought back.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by Rancid_Punk
You know, there's an old saying that goes something to the effect of, "If you want to change something, you have to change it from the inside"

Well, you know, no-one is actually saying you can't post the pear.

And how are the powerless millions of half-wit users going to overthrow a group of mods? Are ya gonna hack em? Are ya? Is that what you're gonna do?
I don't see what the big deal is. I don't ever post them myself, but sometimes I get a good lawl out of seeing one appropriately used (yea, it's possible). People just overuse them when it's not funny at all, in any situation. They need to be saved for the right moment. Also people just spam with them, not even using them to repsond to a senseless or stupid post. If the mods choose to ban them, I can deal with that. They are funny to see sometimes, but no one really uses them funny anymore, and they are just getting worse and worse of a problem. Just let it go.You can't fight with the mods. It's like trying to fight a dozen grizzly bears with a tampon. Chances are, you're gonna lose.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
Hitler didn't say you couldn't to print anti-Nazi leaflets and newspapers. He didn't say you couldn't speak out against Nazi's. He didn't say you couldn't listen to foreign radio stations.

He did legislate that anyone doing so could be arrested and murdered.
Okay pear is banned but can we still use bear cavalry?
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by Aramis
Hitler didn't say you couldn't to print anti-Nazi leaflets and newspapers. He didn't say you couldn't speak out against Nazi's. He didn't say you couldn't listen to foreign radio stations.

Exactly. Except instead of going genocidal on your ass, the admin just gives you the internet equivalent of "time out". Just like in kindergarten. You know, just like when you threw that lego at that other boy playing with it?

Everything has a consequence, buddy. Just like if people tried to annoy you IRL by tailgating you when you drive, you know that there is a great chance that someones car is gonna go headfirst into something. That is a consequence.
Quote by soulflyV
Exactly. Except instead of going genocidal on your ass, the admin just gives you the internet equivalent of "time out". Just like in kindergarten. You know, just like when you threw that lego at that other boy playing with it?

Everything has a consequence, buddy. Just like if people tried to annoy you IRL by tailgating you when you drive, you know that there is a great chance that someones car is gonna go headfirst into something. That is a consequence.

I disagree with you, but I understand your POV.
It does kinda suck that things like this have to be banned in the first place, I agree whole heartedly that when used properly running jokes tie people in a community more strongly together. That said, the pair was used properly only every 20th time it was posted, and should have been used less then those 1 in 20 times. The pit can't handle itself :-p so the pair should probably remained banned.

I have to admit I was really rolling the first time I saw the "lol que pear used to respond to a confusing thread with some spanish language or flamenco question or something along those lines in it. That joke couldn't have existed if the pear had not already been greatly overposted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psc7eimMtv0
I now dedicate this song to the lol wut pear and its brethren
Quote by J-Spoon
Quote by Aramis
THIS LINK IS ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT OPENS LOADS OF WINDOWS THAT YOU CAN'T CLOSE!!!

Rancid, I respect what you're doing for the pear, heaven knows I am 100% on your side, but that was just retarded. Take it down please. And I will delete this post.

Ummm it's just a link to Gone Away by The Offspring. I didn't think that would open any windows that wouldn't close, I really wasn't trying to cause trouble there.
Quote by J-Spoon
Last edited by Rancid_Punk at Feb 27, 2008,
Oh. Apologies... I don't know what happened then. My post is deleted.

Sorry for accusing you for something you did not do, must be my computer fucking up. May I offer you some fruit to make it up to you?

Last edited by Aramis at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by Aramis
Oh. Apologies... I don't know what happened then. My post is deleted.

No worries. Seriously, thanks for the support with the pear campaign, too bad it doesn't look like it'll get anywhere.
Quote by J-Spoon
Quote by Rancid_Punk
No worries. Seriously, thanks for the support with the pear campaign, too bad it doesn't look like it'll get anywhere.

Don't underestimate the power of what a man fighting for freedom can do. Albeit, this isn't like overthrowing a tyrannical government, but freedom on this level is just as important as freedom on a governmental level IMO.

And we seem to be in a 7:3 majority.

When freedom is banned at this level, it is all too easy to ban it at a governmental level.

Although with the Patriot Act, I'd say that battle is close to being lost already if we don't fight.
Last edited by Aramis at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by Aramis

Did you seriously just compare mods banning a pear that was only funny the first time it was seen, which was spammed in an unholy manner, to Hitler killing millions of people? You people really need to learn to pick your battles better.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Did you seriously just compare mods banning a pear that was only funny the first time it was seen, which was spammed in an unholy manner, to Hitler killing millions of people? You people really need to learn to pick your battles better.

As I explained earlier, freedom on this level is as important as freedom on a governmental level. So Yes I compared it to Nazi Germany, and no I don't take it back.
Page 1 of 3