I started this because I need help getting out of the playing for free thing. Biggest question being, what is a fair charge to a club owner for playing at their place. I have done the "play for tips"schtick and it's lead to an empty tip jar. If anyone can help me with business info I'll be extremely grateful
If they're taking admission at the door, ask for a percentage.
If they serve alcohol, ask to be paid a percentage based on alcohol sales, I've seen a couple bands do this, but it only works if you honestly believe that your band is the reason people are there having a good time.

Unless you're a cover band or playing like 3 sets throughout the night, it's tough and sometimes even unfair to the owner to just charge a flat rate.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
well said by sg. YOU have to be the one filling the seats, not just people coming in for no reason. try to get a percentage of door sales
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Okay, thanks. I'm also wondering about (and this probably sounds really dumb but) does anyone know IF I'd have to file taxes. Like I said, I have been a free gig schlepper for about 8 years now. I'm putting a new band together due to a move out of the army.
Quote by johnny1danger
Okay, thanks. I'm also wondering about (and this probably sounds really dumb but) does anyone know IF I'd have to file taxes. Like I said, I have been a free gig schlepper for about 8 years now. I'm putting a new band together due to a move out of the army.

well techniquically yes, you would have to declare the earnings you get from you band on your taxes. but assuming that the owner of the place is just going to hand you cash at the end of the night and not add you to the payroll and give you a paycheck, then there is no way that the government will know that you made this money.

so no, you dont have to declare it on your taxes because the government doesnt know about it, but legally, you are supposed to.

but who does that anyways??
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"