I fried my old Randall head (an RH200 non-G series)

I need a new head to replace it.... I am totally bent on Randalls, I've played an RH150 G3 at Sam Ash and loved it to death, I know if I put my multieffects and MXR KFK 10-band in the loop I'll have some massive destruction...

I already have this cab http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=3&TempID=4&DepartmentID=1&STRID=14312&CategorySubID=134&CategoryID=134&BrandID=1554&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

1) My cab has an 8ohm mono input and two 4ohm stereo inputs and is rated at 320 watts RMS, I'm assuming that the RH150 and the RH300 heads are both totally compatible, correct?

2) Should I spend the extra 120 bucks and get double the wattage (RH150 vs RH300)... I'll need to play over a loud drummer and in shows (I think 150 will handle it)... but my main concern is if the 150 will start to fizzle out too soon when I raise the volume.
Last edited by i_baked_cookies at Feb 27, 2008,
I would say scrap both the heads you're talking about.

And look into a RT50H.. 50 watts all tube. Sounds like what you need.

You should be able to pick one up just as cheap at the RH if you buy used, and trust me, you'll thank me for it
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
I tried that RT50H tube amp... I hated it, the distortion was turdy... if I put an overdrive before the amp, do you think it'll sound better for metal? Remind you that I am looking for a balls-out Pantera gain here, nothing soft or clippy.

I've never had a tube amp before, but I'd be willing to try it out if I get some other opinions... I could always buy it at Sam Ash and return it if I didn't like it... that is when I get some money
I've decided on either the RH150 or RH300, I seriously love these amps for some reason... I'm a SS kind of guy.

My question now is if I should pay an extra 120 bucks for the 300 watt vs. the 150 watt. My cab can handle it (rated at 320 watts RMS)... I'm assuming the 300 watt head will have much more headroom than the 150 watter, I like loudness.
Save the $120 and get an EQ pedal or something fun. The RH150 will deafen you. If you had the 300 you would never _ever_ have the need to crank it.
Quote by ewisnor
Save the $120 and get an EQ pedal or something fun. The RH150 will deafen you. If you had the 300 you would never _ever_ have the need to crank it.

I already have the god of all EQ pedals, the MXR KFK 10 band.

I used to have a Randall RH200 (220 watts at 4ohm stereo) and it was loud enough, but it seemed to fizzle out at high volumes. Maybe because it was old?
Just ordered the RH150 G3 - I'll put up some super sweet sound clips once I get it (might take a while, backordered from Samash.com).
No it fizzled out because it was a SS.

Still think you should of grabbed the RT50H with your EQ.

But Goodluck with your amp.

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
No it fizzled out because it was a SS.

Still think you should of grabbed the RT50H with your EQ.

But Goodluck with your amp.

Yea, I'm not a tube amp guy, plus I'm cheap on maintenance... replacing tubes and the such. I really like the SS sound of these G3 Randalls, to each his own
Quote by i_baked_cookies
Yea, I'm not a tube amp guy, plus I'm cheap on maintenance... replacing tubes and the such. I really like the SS sound of these G3 Randalls, to each his own

You replace tubes like... every 2 years

But as long as you like it thats all that matters, be sure to give us some clips when you get it.

I LOVE KENSAI
I think everyone so far has been jumping the "SS sucks, go tube" bandwagon, and probably haven't played the G3 series. Randall makes good SS amps.

I haven't played any G3 series either, but if you say that the 200 was a little less than what you would have liked in terms of volume, I'd say go for the 300. However, also keep in mind that Dime had a lot more than just an amp to create his sound.
Quote by ketiov
I think everyone so far has been jumping the "SS sucks, go tube" bandwagon, and probably haven't played the G3 series. Randall makes good SS amps.

I haven't played any G3 series either, but if you say that the 200 was a little less than what you would have liked in terms of volume, I'd say go for the 300. However, also keep in mind that Dime had a lot more than just an amp to create his sound.

No people recommend tube amps because in most cases its the better thing to do. And i've played the G3. Couldn't really get a good tone out of it to tell you the truth.

Do you know whats better than a SS Randall? A Tube Randall!

Also keep in mind, As good as Dime was, his tone was horrible!

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
No people recommend tube amps because in most cases its the better thing to do. And i've played the G3. Couldn't really get a good tone out of it to tell you the truth.

Do you know whats better than a SS Randall? A Tube Randall!

Also keep in mind, As good as Dime was, his tone was horrible!

I disagree - I think his solid-state tone was beyond amazing... I got something close to it in terms of power and attack with my old Randall + a multieffects (ran the amps distortion though a boost, a compressor, an equalizer, and then a cab simulator), the KFK 10 band eq, and the BBE sonic maximizer. Lots of pedals to create just a metal tone, but by god it was epic... now that amp is fried.

What interests me is that the RH150s stock metal sound is 200% better than my old RH200s, so the end output through all my pedals should produce something sweet.