i have a question, how do you know what scale to use if you want to improvise into a song?

for example, there is a celtic rock band named jackdaw and they have a song called "black and tans" and at the end of the song is a long jam with out guitar and i want to add in my own riffs.

how do i know what scale to use?
look at the notes being played in the jam bit and see which scale they fit into
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Well, the way I go about improvising is really with arpeggios. Learn basic arrpeggio's, than use the scale that would go with that chord, not what key the song is in. Basically play on the chords, not the key of the song or the scale. www.jazzguitar.be has the basic arpeggio shapes for chords in the lessons section. You should try that.
For rock basic pentatonic scales work--Just find what note the whole song leans onto. There is always one note that you want to hear in your head--and that note is usually the starting note of the key. You can then use a blues scale or minor/major pentatonic scale starting on that note that everything falls to
....... wtf lmao.

please don't listen to these guys.

Every song has a "key", the note the song is based around. It's generally the note that sounds the best to "end" the song on.

Once you know what key you're in, that tells you what scale to use.
Every song has a "key", the note the song is based around. It's generally the note that sounds the best to "end" the song on.

Many songs change keys a number of times, and some are not in any key at all.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Once you know what key you're in, that tells you what scale to use.

No, that would tell you what key to play the scale in, but not the scale. The key doesn't tell me if I want a half-diminished or major scale, or if I want a harmonic minor or eight-tone spanish. The type of scale is dependent on the genre, what you want it to sound like, and the backing chords.

edit: you also don't strictly have to strictly stay in key. There are points when you're playing a scale out of key. Although that's a bit more complex, and tends to be more transitional.
Last edited by capiCrimm at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by RyanONeill
i have a question, how do you know what scale to use if you want to improvise into a song?

for example, there is a celtic rock band named jackdaw and they have a song called "black and tans" and at the end of the song is a long jam with out guitar and i want to add in my own riffs.

how do i know what scale to use?

well i find the key and play really. i usually use the pentatonic as a base and build from there if needed. i can go into the dorian or natural minor if the song calls for it.

for a celtic rock band i would say the basic major scale and the modes should be enough or even just the pentatonic major or minor depending on the song.