I am considering purchasing a 1990 Fender Fretless Jazz Bass crafted in Japan.
I am wondering how the craftsmanship and quality from this year is.

Thanks
Quote by 2112Xanadu2112

Thanks

That could be altered by many things, but where it's made is the big one. Is it made in America or Mexico?
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by 2112Xanadu2112

Quote by Your41Plague12
That could be altered by many things, but where it's made is the big one. Is it made in America or Mexico?

Quote by smb

It's early, shut up

Anyways, TS, CIJ basses are great basses, often considered between american and mexican basses (quality-wise). They're closer to the american quality than mexican, though. As long as the bass is in good shape, I say go for it. It's sure to treat you well.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Japanese instruments are outstanding in quality. I've got a 1988 Fernandes stratocaster copy that's astoundingly well-built. I'd say go for it. I'm actually a tad jealous, I've been digging around for a MIJ fretless jazz for a long-ass time now, but to no avail. Get it!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by smb
If it's 1990 it'll be MIJ not CIJ.

I owned a '94 MIJ Jazz Fretless. It was arctic white, had an unlined fretboard, and had a copper grounding wire a la Jaco running from the bridge pickup to the bridge.

I loved that bass and miss it very much. It was a great bass, and I got the fingerboard epoxied. A wonderful instrument. It really had a Jaco tone thing going on. The bridge was a bit... modest, but it was still a great instrument.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I have the Fender Jaco sig bass and frankly I don't like the action or string tension and the laquered neck makes big slides or moving in general harder than a natural finished neck.
Quote by Ashbory4
I have the Fender Jaco sig bass and frankly I don't like the action or string tension and the laquered neck makes big slides or moving in general harder than a natural finished neck.

Lacquered neck is preference - some like it and some don't. As for the action and string tension it sounds like you need to think about what strings you use and learn how to set it up.
Quote by Ashbory4

The Jaco sig has a nitro finished neck, meaning it will eventually wear away until it feels better than bare wood. And besides, if you play with only your thumb at the back of the neck, you shouldn't have any problems sliding, really. If I could not be held up by a poly finished gloss neck, you shouldn't have any problems with a nitro finished neck.

String tension and action are entirely dictated by your strings and your bridge... it's strange that you would make a post like this.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Thank you for the advice people. I have decided to get it!

Here are the pictures!

The pickguard is not the original however the original white pickguard is included.
Oh now that is just beautiful! Great buy! What a great looking bass!

What's the fingerboard wood on that? Looks dark for rosewood but I didn't know Fender used ebony
YYYYYEEEPPP. That's pretty much the exact bass I had in the exact colour. The only difference is the serial number was at the neck joint. Same colour, same dark rosewood fingerboard, same grounding strip.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
one word.

neeto.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Your first mistake was getting a Chinese lady to cut your hair.

Your second mistake was getting someone who doesn't speak English to cut your hair.

Your third mistake was listening to your dicklock parents.

Quote by Ashbory4

Then why would you buy it if you didn't like the neck?

The action and string tension you can sort out yourself.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Then why would you buy it if you didn't like the neck?

The action and string tension you can sort out yourself.

Yeah, I'm beginning to call BS.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by smb
Oh now that is just beautiful! Great buy! What a great looking bass!

What's the fingerboard wood on that? Looks dark for rosewood but I didn't know Fender used ebony

+1... is that an ebony fingerboard? Beautiful bass btw.
Quote by Charlatan_001
+1... is that an ebony fingerboard? Beautiful bass btw.

Nope, just dark (possibly aftermarket epoxied) rosewood.
Quote by Cody_Grey102