can someone give me some help! im looking for some of that far east sound or show me a link to some tabs for that! i mean bhangra sounding tunes. if anyone listens to bhangra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddGjV51Edok

that start of this tune can help me a alot, im not really into this music but i want to show my mum. ( btw that song is about smoking weed and not caring, im asian btw).

even if anyone can show me a few indian sounding licks woyld be great!

i know this doesnt sound serious but my i play guitar alot and my mum wont be impressed by plug in baby by muse but this she would.
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
try the breakdown in "belly dancer" by satriani, has a very indian feel and will give you a fell for indian sounding scales and phrasing
Quote by irishman
try the breakdown in "belly dancer" by satriani, has a very indian feel and will give you a fell for indian sounding scales and phrasing

thank you ill try
Quote by JamieB

Quote by sowhat360
just type in middle eastern scales in google

tried that doesnt really help what im looking for
Quote by JamieB

Like a Sitar kinda sound?
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
if you use the harmonic minor scale, it'll give you a good eastern sound (a bit, for the real eastern, search google)
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by iTzMaTT
Like a Sitar kinda sound?

cheers yea didnt know what it was called.
Quote by JamieB

Dunno about getting a Sitar sound, but use the Phrygian Dominant scale. Just take a Phyrgian and raise the third.
Last edited by wasp2020 at Feb 28, 2008,
I want to say Harmonic Minor, but that's just scratching the surface. There are very cool and unique scales used in Middle Eastern and Indian music that are very different from "classical" western scales.
Try MegadetH - Holy Wars
Amorphis
Quote by iceman_8319
The human eye only captures a certain amount frames per second.
By the time you've read this post, 3 ninjas have had sex in front of you.

Use a Phyrygian like said before, just flat your 2 and 7th it's more gypsy sounding scale but close enough.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Old Indian pop music like that song has very high western influence. It's basically a mix of psychedelic music, with middle eastern "flavoring".
Some of the Beatles stuff, like off Sgt Pepper. And have a look at Vai on youtube playing Freak Show Excess where he explains his bulgarian-wedding music, and his phrasing logic, this should help you understand how important phrasing is, esp in this sort of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abS960I67TE
eastern music doesn't even use the western scale of notes, but capturing the sound is typically done by using a mode of the harmonic minor scale.

according to the phrase, you can't really stick within the scale.

as for the rhythm...i just know they feel beats in very different numbers. 7..13...and some are very long...
This is a great song with some eastern sounding licks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG1RLxMijgE

Edit: the scale used in the main riff of this is B Dorian

1,2,b3,4,5,6,b7
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Last edited by Miracle_Man at Mar 4, 2008,
play around with harmonic scales, they sound mid-eastern to me! or actually just take any scale and make select intervals bigger to make it sound more 'eastern,' see what crazy scale you can make
sorry to point this out, but what is far east to you isn't far east to the people from "the far east" as you say. You're technically from the far east (yay for globes) in their eyes.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Theoretically, we are both east and west from them and in some cases north or south, as they are from us, but it's called what it is because before europeans knew about the america's, they thought the world ended to the west--thus, you couldn't go around the earth west and get to the east. This is responsible for what we cal the "far east". We are considered the western world, since we were found by going west from europe, not east.

This has nothing to do with the thread though.
EDIT: C, Db, D, Eb, E, F, F#, G, Ab, A, Bb, B someone posted it on wikipedia

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by wasp2020
Dunno about getting a Sitar sound, but use the Phrygian Dominant scale. Just take a Phyrgian and raise the third.

This^ is what you need.
Send this to you my master...
Here's to getting worse,
hope it kills you faster...
Show me how it hurts to rot from the inside out...
This vigil burns until the day our fires over take you,
Our father we forsake you.