I'm saving up for new pickups for my Artcore AS73 after my amp upgrade (hot rod deluxe!). The stock pickups are good but a little boring.. they don't really let the semi-hollowbody tone shine through.

I'm a huge fan of Jonny Greenwood's guitar tones and I would love to get a telecaster plus, but those aren't produced anymore and I won't have any money after my birthday in March when I get my amp. With some research I found that the bridge pickup on the tele plus is a dual red lace sensor. I'm not sure which to choose for a neck pickup though. I know I can get a pretty close approximation because he uses a fender amp, which I should have soon.

Would a set of these sound good in my Artcore? Eventually I'll probably get a push-pull pot to split the coils too. This is more of a long-term project, but it's something I'm planning now.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
if you are looking for distortion sounds... at all... the hot rod deluxe might not be your best bet...

jonny uses a lace sensor blue in his neck position, and the red dually at his bridge... and his distortion amp is a vintage fender solid state with a distortion pedal(its magical, fender doesn't have any decent solidstates on the market these days)... his clean amp is the vox ac30
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
if you are looking for distortion sounds... at all... the hot rod deluxe might not be your best bet...

jonny uses a lace sensor blue in his neck position, and the red dually at his bridge... and his distortion amp is a vintage fender solid state with a distortion pedal(its magical, fender doesn't have any decent solidstates on the market these days)... his clean amp is the vox ac30

I actually really liked the lighter distortion from the hot rod delue. I tried it and loved it for the sound of my band's music. I will probably get an OD pedal down the road for some songs, but I like the tone. I like light distortion with lots of character, which is what the fender gave me with my mediocre stock pickups. Hopefully good pickups will help make the tone even better.

EDIT: I actually found a fender eighty-five (Jonny's amp) for $125 on ebay.. I'm starting to have second thoughts about that hot rod deluxe.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by stradivari310 at Feb 27, 2008,
Read some reviews on that Eighty-Five before you buy it. I've read some, and you'll probably just be disappointed. I have no idea how he gets his tone, but you might be better of with a nice overdrive pedal.

Edit: or at least try it out before you buy one. See, I've read the cleans are nice but the distortion on it is crap. And this was coming from people who wanted the same thing you did- nice distorted tones.
Quote by lemonsquares42
Read some reviews on that Eighty-Five before you buy it. I've read some, and you'll probably just be disappointed. I have no idea how he gets his tone, but you might be better of with a nice overdrive pedal.

Edit: or at least try it out before you buy one. See, I've read the cleans are nice but the distortion on it is crap. And this was coming from people who wanted the same thing you did- nice distorted tones.

Yeah the reviews I read were pretty mediocre. I guess it's probably the fender + shredmaster combo that does it, but since both of those are discontinued I have no way of trying them out.
And I do want my own tone anyway, which is why I'm going for a unique combination of guitar, pickups, and amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Your amp is still a very good one. Fender makes good tube amps, but the one you're using is pretty loud. You'd have to crank it to get the very best sounds out of it, and perhaps you're in an environment where that's just not possible.

Absolutely a pickup swap would make a difference in sound. And since you like your amp's natural overdrive, I'd suggest an attenuator. I hear they aren't rocket science to install, and you can get those lovely overdrive tones at more acceptable volumes. And I'd still suggest a nice overdrive and EQ pedal, just because they're necessary in every man's pedal board.

For some cheaper but nice quality pickups, I've heard good things about Rock Monkey.

http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/

You can talk to the man making them and he will customize them according to what sounds you want, so you're getting something tailored specifically to your needs.

If you're not convinced about the Rock Monkeys, check out Harmony Central for some reviews. They're extremely positive.

Edit: Judging by that "Amp Fund" on your sig, I'm guessing that you don't have the amp yet. I didn't know that before. If you don't think you'd be happy with the HRD, try out some more tube combo's in that price range. If you have bought it and you already like it a lot, then that's great. But there are lots of good tube amps in that price range that you could check out too.

What type of music do you play exactly?
Last edited by lemonsquares42 at Feb 27, 2008,
The music in my profile is a perfect indication of what I play, which is basically alternative rock. However the material we've written since recording has a wider range of styles and is very effects-heavy. Essentially I need good medium crunchy to heavy scratchy distortion (I'll probably run a fuzz and an OD together for that) for those songs, but I'm going to need good jazzy cleans too. Everything needs to withstand being completely raped by modulation effects as well

I've jammed with the HRD with my band and I love the natural overdrive.. luckily my band has a loud drummer, a loud bassist, and two other loud guitarists. I was using the 212 at pretty high volumes, and I can crank the 112 even more. I am considering an overdrive pedal simply for the sake of playing hardcore and metal and whatnot, but that will be a bit further down the road.

I have heard very good things about rock monkey pickups. I was considering outfitting one of my old guitars with neobuckers for the heck of it, but I'll definitely consider their other pickups too. And there's a discount for UGer's too. Once I buy my amp I'm going to email him to see what my options are for pickups.
Thanks!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣