at the moment i have a fender strat and an extremely crappy amp it just has volume bass treble and an overdrive button and i want to get the most out of my strat cuz right now it just sounds like any other guitar. i also wrote a song for my band and it involves a quick change from playing clean to playing distorted. i would like to know if i should get a new amp first or a chorus/distortion pedal first
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by GuitarBoy-IL
amp. what's your budget?

im gonna have to save up but maybe like 150-200 or so. (the guitar store in my town is goin out of business so everythings cheaper, i got my strat for 170 there)
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Hi there,as the other guy said"whats your budget.you could get an amp,however unless it comes with a footswitch(or you buy one that suits the amp)you will be in the same position as you are with your current amp,in that you will have to push a button to change to a distoted/overidden sound.
Buying an effects pedal will be cheaper unless yuou buy a mega exspensive boutique pedal!
My advice(for what its worth) would be to go with a pedal if your playing in a band as you can slowly depending on funds start to build yourself a nice little pedal board.Some venues have open mike nights where they will have amps already in place so you just plug into your pedals and of you go.
Try to play around a bit with your amp controls as well you might be able to get a fairlty decent clean sound and as for sounding like any other guitarist its all in the fingers! plus over tim you develop your own style anyway if if you dont hear it others will and not just in the effects you use,your string bending,use of vibrato and left hand technique,remember once apon a time even Hendrix,Vai,Satriani,Tremonti,S.R.V couldn't play guitar!
So keep it up Dude.
ps try out as many amps and pedals as you can before buying and see what your mates are using too.
Feel the fear and do it anyway.
thanks for hte advice that helped me out a lot
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
To answer your question, I would get a better amp, but for your budget your aren't going to get anything that great that won't include a footswitch pedal. You can get one of those Marshall ss amps for a couple hundred. And they really aren't that bad. I use one for jamming, you would just need to buy a pedal to switch from clean to disto.

Also the boss sd-1 distortion pedal is only 40 bucks.
amp. most amps come with footswitches so u'll be able to switch from the clean to distorted too
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...