i feel like im making no progress on this at all, i want to be able to pick faster, ive been doing everything i can think of or heard, straight downpicking, straight up-picking, putting it together etc, my arm isnt tense either, but i just cant seem to push it beyond about 195 bpm
this is really bugging me so any tips?
Try a thinner pick.

Not kidding.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Mega = Big lol. "Big Fast Picking" haha.

Well, for TREMOLO PICKING, definatly try playing some songs from the band "Through the eyes of the dead". its good for a warmup and simple practice.

All I can say is, use a small, hard pick. Like Jim Dunlop's Jazz III's and practice, alot.

EDIT:^Wtf? No.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
It just takes time.
but also use a better pick
a thin pick will just not work because it would bend and that'll slow u down. Use a medium gauge pick. i find that the dunlop picks (tortex standard .73mm) works twice as good
Quote by Seth Shadows

All I can say is, use a small, hard pick. Like Jim Dunlop's Jazz III's and practice, alot.

yeah i practise a lot...
i also use stubby 2mm, so im using small thick ones
Quote by kai2demax
It just takes time.
but also use a better pick
a thin pick will just not work because it would bend and that'll slow u down. Use a medium gauge pick. i find that the dunlop picks (tortex standard .73mm) works twice as good

+1 but i still consider .73mm light
I use dunlop .60's and .73's but other guitarist i know use 1mm +
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
Quote by Seth Shadows
Mega = Big lol. "Big Fast Picking" haha.

Well, for TREMOLO PICKING, definatly try playing some songs from the band "Through the eyes of the dead". its good for a warmup and simple practice.

Yes.

I use Dunlop Tortex .60 & .73 and i never had any speed problems. But as soon as someone gives me one of those fat picks, i tend to drag the string along with the pick which slows me down a lot.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Ibanez has a little blue pick its kinda like the tip of a fingerpick. That thing plays fast but it breaks after a lot of abuse. Otherthing, You can try a triangular pick (theres a tortex one), I find them fast, but its a bitch tryin to do a pinch.
I prefer the thicker (1.00 mm +) over the thinner strings when tremelo picking. When I speed up my picking, a thinner pick would bend, slowing down my picking.

However, I'm sure it's just personal preference.
Signature
ok theres a lot here about pick sizes...im comfortable with my pick choice so id rather not change that....its obviously going to be more about technique as no pick will make thaaaat much of a difference
Most of those I'm aware of who can pick really well use a thicker pick for control.
But, it's pretty immaterial to your question because that's not a solution anyway.

I don't have a clue about your particular problem (and no one else here does either),
but from the sound of it you're looking in the wrong places. If you're searching
for speed by trying to play fast, you'll almost certainly not find it. However, if you
look to trying to play well, you probably will. Eliminate what's not working, and
what remains must contain what will work.
Try making much smaller movements; most speed should come from the movements you make becoming smaller not faster.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try angling your pick. Instead of picking straight up and down, turn the pick so the edge is doing the work. You may also want to try a thinner pick. Nothing flappy, but a little flex isn't a bad thing. Good luck.
Quote by ItWillDo
Yes.

I use Dunlop Tortex .60 & .73 and i never had any speed problems. But as soon as someone gives me one of those fat picks, i tend to drag the string along with the pick which slows me down a lot.

they're short and fat making them perfect.

Meh, everyone's different i guess.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Quote by Spamwise
16ths at 195 isn't mega fast?

It's not really anything special in shred terms, about average really.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by edg
Yeah it is. But he didn't say 16ths. 195 BPM by itself doesn't mean anything in
terms of speed.

Oh, i thought he said 16ths. Re-reading it now I see I was wrong.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's not really anything special in shred terms, about average really.

LMFAO!!!! 52 nps is average for shredding? WTF IS FAST!?!?!?!?
Quote by z4twenny
LMFAO!!!! 52 nps is average for shredding? WTF IS FAST!?!?!?!?

Uh, 16ths at 195 is 13 nps. not that it matters..
^ um im reading it like this

@ 195 bpm

195 notes @ 1 whole note
390 notes @ 1/2 note
780 notes @ 1/4 note
1560 notes @ 1/8 note
3120 notes @ 1/16 notes

3120 notes / 60 seconds = 52 nps.....

did i do the math somewhere wrong in assuming each click/beat is considered a whole note?
Quote by z4twenny
did i do the math somewhere wrong in assuming each click/beat is considered a whole note?

I'm sure your maths is fine (I cba to check) but you did get the wrong end of the stick: 16ths at 195 bpm is what was said...I don't know where you got what you were doing from. I stand by that being nothing special in terms of shred.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
^ right but if its 1 whole note per beat then yes it is 52 nps and nobody goes that fast. if a quarter note gets the beat then yes its 13 nps and i can do that no problem.
Quote by z4twenny
^ right but if its 1 whole note per beat then yes it is 52 nps and nobody goes that fast. if a quarter note gets the beat then yes its 13 nps and i can do that no problem.

As far as I'm concerned the bpm is always a quarter note unless otherwise stated.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by z4twenny

@ 195 bpm

195 notes @ 1 whole note
390 notes @ 1/2 note
780 notes @ 1/4 note
1560 notes @ 1/8 note
3120 notes @ 1/16 notes

Well I'm assuming that he meant a quarter note = 195.
Quote by Avedas
It's whatever the top number in your time signature is.

No it isn't, the bpm can be defined as anything; you'll notice that the bpm in Guitar Pro is always written as (quarter note) = (whatever) the quarter note can be anything you want, it's just that most of the time it's a quarter note.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
My explanation wasn't very clear. But I guess your post sums it up.
The best thing to do is to make an exercise with a simple left hand motion, and lots of picking. Start it off nice and slow, make your picking motion perfectly smooth and even, you shouldn't be able to tell if you are picking up or down. Then just work it slowly faster and faster, and before you know it you'll be flying.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by z4twenny

@ 195 bpm

195 notes @ 1 whole note
390 notes @ 1/2 note
780 notes @ 1/4 note
1560 notes @ 1/8 note
3120 notes @ 1/16 notes

Each beat is generally considered a quarter note, if that's what the time signature implies. Therefore, (195 x 4)/60 = 13 nps. The 195 being the bpm, the 4 being that sixteenth notes are four times as plentiful as quarter notes, and the 60 being that it is per minute, which has 60 seconds.