Hi

I'm not sure if i should grab a cheap stratocaster e.g. the squier affinity strat and plug in the original fender pickups, which you can grab at many online-stores.

My question is if i could nearly get the sound of an expencive strat or if it's completely sensless to buy this arrangement?

thank you for your answers
I put Fralin Blues Specials in my Squire Strat. Let me tell you that thing sounds amazing and it was really worth it. The body is alder and the necks are actually pretty nice only thing was I re-fretted my neck with stainless steel frets.
Custom Strat
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Electro Harmonix #1 Echo
Fender Blues Jr.
Crate V18

“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
thank you for your quick answers!

now i have another question:
Is it better to buy the arrangement for 330€ or should i take the same money to buy a strat for 330€?
Quote by MisterChainsaw
You're not going to get a exact sound of a genuine strat with an affinity because they're manufactured with lower grade materials.

But it won't sound like an affinity, it would sound better.
Just not as good as a REAL Fender.

arent the affinity series made of the same woods as standard fenders?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Buy a proper Fender, even if it's a lower end one with cheaper electronics. You can always upgrade the pickups, but you can't upgrade your guitar's body wood. In the long run, it's always better to buy a guitar with a better body/neck, rather than something with special pickups.
Quote by Vampire 255
arent the affinity series made of the same woods as standard fenders?

General consensus seems to be that the Affinity series is made of Alder (like true Fenders) while the Standard series uses cheaper (and worse-sounding) Agathis wood. Beware.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
I would never get a Squier. I have heard that they are made of cheap wood, even plywood sometimes! Go for a mexican Strat if you're on a budget. You can upgrade the pickups later, but the ones that come on the Mexican standard will be pretty good.
how much cash do you have altogether, and are you willing to go second-hand?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mitchellg23
I would never get a Squier. I have heard that they are made of cheap wood, even plywood sometimes! Go for a mexican Strat if you're on a budget. You can upgrade the pickups later, but the ones that come on the Mexican standard will be pretty good.

Eww stock MIM Strat pickups

Get some Noiseless Stratocaster pickups at the very least.
Quote by Chordzzz
Eww stock MIM Strat pickups

Get some Noiseless Stratocaster pickups at the very least.

This is not good advice. Mabye I'm pickey about single coils, but noiseless strat pups sacrifice the chime and livliness that makes single coils great. Standard MIM pups are tonefully solid, just a touch noisy. You're better off shielding the guitar, in my opinion.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how much cash do you have altogether, and are you willing to go second-hand?

i don't want to spend more than 350 €
i already have a ibanez sa 220fm and now i want a guitar with single-coils only.
my first thought was to gread up a cheap strat
More important than what kind of guitar a set of pickups are going into is the amp that they're going to be sending a signal to.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
More important than what kind of guitar a set of pickups are going into is the amp that they're going to be sending a signal to.

agreed.

I've been thinking about buying an Affinity Tele or Strat, whichever one I can find cheaper, and turning it into a project guitar and using it for alternate tunings/half step down/slide guitar. I guess as long as it isn't your main axe, and you have a good tube amp, then you should do it.
I'm not trying to hawk his pickups to you (because quite frankly getting them in Europe would be expensive and pointless), but here's a great example of someone getting awesome tone with cheap equipment. Stephens Design is a pickup company, and he records his Strat pickup samples mostly with a Squier Strat and a little Champ amp. www.sdpickups.com
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by mathigges
i don't want to spend more than 350 €
i already have a ibanez sa 220fm and now i want a guitar with single-coils only.
my first thought was to gread up a cheap strat

i've seen second-hand MIJ tokai strat and telecaster copies go on ebay for around £200. Though you'd have to be lucky, and basically buy according to what was a good deal, rather than hold out for the exact colour etc. you wanted- more often than not they go for almost £300, if not £400. And obviously if it's too cheap, there may be more wrong with it (or it could just be an unpopular colour).

it basically depends if you're willing to go second-hand, and are willing to set-up and/or clean that guitar (as there's always a risk that'll be required when going second-hand, not to mention the risk that it's been abused).

But assuming you got lucky, those'd annihilate a squier. heck, in my opinion they'd annihilate a USA standard fender.

Quote by Dirk Gently

agreed, even though i had to read that about 5 times to figure out what the heck you were saying.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?