Page 1 of 2
can somebody plz tell me wat the following things are (and tell me how to do them):
ghost notes
artificial and natural harmonics (i know wat harmonics are i just dont know the difference between these two kinds)
pick squeels
sweep picking
ghost notes: muting the string with your fretting hand whilst hitting it with the pick.
artificial harmonics: you get them when hitting strings with pick and thumb at the same time. You'll want to angle your pick in order to achieve that. Note that it does not work on every part of the string, you'll have to move your picking hand around a bit to find the "sweet" spots.

And: Ts, your spelling is horrible and this belongs in the electric guitar forum to be honest.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 27, 2008,
youd get some good responses in the Electric Guitar forum. The pit won't give you good answers.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by gunsnroses#1
can somebody plz tell me wat the following things are (and tell me how to do them):
ghost notes
artificial and natural harmonics (i know wat harmonics are i just dont know the difference between these two kinds)
pick squeels
sweep picking

a ghost note is like when your guitar gets possesed and starts playing itself.
Natural harmonics are created by not fully pressing down the string on the fretboard, and it separates out some of the harmonies of the notes, and gives a 'natural harmonic.'

Pinches are a type of artificial harmonic- touching the string with the picking thumb or palm. These are pick squeals aswell.

Sweep picking is picking across the strings in one sweep.

I think ghost notes are muted at the bridge, but don't quote me on that.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
Natural harmonics are created by not fully pressing down the string on the fretboard, and it separates out some of the harmonies of the notes, and gives a 'natural harmonic.'

Pinches are a type of artificial harmonic- touching the string with the picking thumb or palm. These are pick squeals aswell.

Sweep picking is picking across the strings in one sweep.

I think ghost notes are muted at the bridge, but don't quote me on that.

Wrong. Artificial harmonics and pick squeals or pinch harmonics are different. look it up.
TS: I guess you are probably new to guitar, so you don't need to bother about these techniques (except for ghost notes), as they are somewhat advanced. You're better off practicing chords, scales and alternate picking I'd say.
Quote by htsktim91989
Wrong. Artificial harmonics and pick squeals or pinch harmonics are different. look it up.

What? I always thought pinch harmonics and artificial harmonics were the same. Please explain.
Quote by htsktim91989

**** off, you annoying ****.

I got something wrong, big deal. It's possible to make a correction without going all 'pissed off teacher' on me.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
an artificial harmonic can be sounded by using your left hand to hold a string at a certain fret, and plucking or tapping a harmonic higher up on the fretboard, in a location that would be a integer divisor of its vibrational length.

HAHA, your the only one thats getting offensive, i was just making a correction. takes more than that to get me in "mad teacher" mode...whatever that is
Quote by rabidguitarist
**** off, you annoying ****.

I got something wrong, big deal. It's possible to make a correction without going all 'pissed off teacher' on me.

Rough day?
Drinks all around!

Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Quote by Fishyesque
Rough day?
Drinks all around!

some relyable source told me those little jellow guys aren't drinking beer !

*cough* Jack Of Jill *cough*

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by Fishyesque
Rough day?
Drinks all around!

hahaha, ill remember to buy you a guiness some day
Quote by htsktim91989
an artificial harmonic can be sounded by using your left hand to hold a string at a certain fret, and plucking or tapping a harmonic higher up on the fretboard, in a location that would be a integer divisor of its vibrational length.

HAHA, your the only one thats getting offensive, i was just making a correction. takes more than that to get me in "mad teacher" mode...whatever that is

This man is right, Wikipedia says: "Pinch harmonics are generally considered a form of artificial harmonic, although in technique, they are different."

But he's still a douche.
Quote by 12Jim34
This man is right, Wikipedia says: "Pinch harmonics are generally considered a form of artificial harmonic, although in technique, they are different."

But he's still a douche.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by noxiosimitator
some relyable source told me those little jellow guys aren't drinking beer !

*cough* Jack Of Jill *cough*

Cream Soda FTW.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
hey i may be new to guitar but im gifted. ive been playing half a year and i dont need to practice chords. i play a lot of tenacious d perfectly and guess wat they use big @$$ chords, and so wat if im on the wrong forum? this is a guitar web site, why would any1 else be on here except for bassists?
Quote by gunsnroses#1
hey i may be new to guitar but im gifted. ive been playing half a year and i dont need to practice chords. i play a lot of tenacious d perfectly and guess wat they use big @$$ chords, and so wat if im on the wrong forum? this is a guitar web site, why would any1 else be on here except for bassists?

theres a couple of drummers here too.
and your not gifted. pull your head out of your ass
Quote by gunsnroses#1

Is this a joke?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
oh boy, i guess i AM a douch then. dont you feel accomplished? i didnt know everybody was so uptight around here. i guess sharing general knowledge, and making coreections is unacceptable in the UG society.
big a s s chords are awesome! you know...like....HUGE ones man, and i never even had to practice them d000d!
Quote by htsktim91989
oh boy, i guess i AM a douch then. dont you feel accomplished? i didnt know everybody was so uptight around here. i guess sharing general knowledge, and making coreections is unacceptable in the UG society.

Nah, he's calling me a douche.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by gunsnroses#1

Quote by gunsnroses#1

That's not gifted.

And what the f*ck is a big ass chord? If big ass chords are based on the physical size, then I guess I'm more gifted than you for pulling chords on a bass
Quote by gunsnroses#1

don't get too worked up about this, I wasn't trying to offend you. And no matter how gifted you are: You won't get far if you concentrate on advanced stuff, while you don't have the basic skills under your belt. Trust me on this, it'll benefit you in the long run. I see alot of dimebag and slash wannabes who can do some pinch harmonics, while not being able to play even the most simple chord progression or anything beyond the pentatonic scale. You don't wanna end up like this, do you? Wrong practice can really harm your playing.
Quote by TheQuailman
don't get too worked up about this, I wasn't trying to offend you. And no matter how gifted you are: You won't get far if you concentrate on advanced stuff, while you don't have the basic skills under your belt. Trust me on this, it'll benefit you in the long run. I see alot of dimebag and slash wannabes who can do some pinch harmonics, while not being able to play even the most simple chord progression or anything beyond the pentatonic scale. You don't wanna end up like this, do you? Wrong practice can really harm your playing.

I'm going to add to this. Advanced techniques usually build on more basic techniques. If your basic technique is sh*t, you won't get the advanced technique down.
Yep, imagine it like building a house: You cannot build the roof if the walls aren't ready yet (basic skills being the walls, advanced once being the roof).

Damn that metaphor works for everything.
Quote by htsktim91989
big a s s chords are awesome! you know...like....HUGE ones man, and i never even had to practice them d000d!

Quote by Steve The Plank
Maybe you should just eliminate the idea of being a LEAD guitarist or a RHYTHM guitarist and just come to terms with being a guitarist.

Quote by Mike Huber
I used to steal legos from my friend. He always had the coolest pieces.
Yeah....Wikipedia FTW!

Thats my two cents at least.

Going to go learn me some BIG A$S Chords.

First i have to find out what they are.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

Quote by visa
That made absoulutely no sense how do you tie your shoes in little nazi's?
Quote by deathbat831
theres a couple of drummers here too.
and your not gifted. pull your head out of your ass

Preach it brotha!
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
ROFL, I'm going to make a demotivational to a big a$$ chord as soon as I get home, this is just too perfect. I know the perfect picture to use too. This is going to be amazing.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
hey i may be new to guitar but im gifted. ive been playing half a year and i dont need to practice chords. i play a lot of tenacious d perfectly and guess wat they use big @$$ chords.QUOTE]

HAHAHA this is gonna be my new siggy :P LMAO
Quote by gunsnroses#1
hey i may be new to guitar but im gifted. ive been playing half a year and i dont need to practice chords. i play a lot of tenacious d perfectly and guess wat they use big @$$ chords.QUOTE]

HAHAHA this is gonna be my new siggy :P LMAO

You bumped an old thread to phail at code?
Page 1 of 2