is practicing all 24 combinations of 1234 a waste of time? im just wondering that because it takes some time to do all of them ( thank you in advance
its probably the most boring thing in the history of guitar, but it does help with coordination and learning the scales...I wouldnt learn them all but learn some of them
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I don't like working on chromatics too much..They're good for warm-ups and learning to use all your fingers, but if you're just trying to work on speed, why not take some licks and learn them?
Quote by branny1982
it is not really a 'waste of time'. for example, why not do it whilst watching TV? thats what i do. Then it becomes a constructive use of time.

But isn't watching TV a waste of time in itself?
Quote by Philbigtime
But isn't watching TV a waste of time in itself?

I believe that is what he was implying.
Quote by Ryansb123
is practicing all 24 combinations of 1234 a waste of time?

It all depends. How important is it for you to be skilled at doing all 24 combinations
of 1234 and what do you hope to get out of it?

Personally, I can find a lot of other things that work out my finger skills AND have
much more musicality to them. Therefore its much more likely I'd be practicing things
I'd actually use. So, to the extent I can find much better things to do, that would be
a waste of time.
Quote by Ryansb123
is practicing all 24 combinations of 1234 a waste of time? im just wondering that because it takes some time to do all of them ( thank you in advance

From my experience. YES. you could put that time into practicing something more applicable musically. Why practice something that you will practically never use in a real musical situation?

Quote by edg
It all depends. How important is it for you to be skilled at doing all 24 combinations
of 1234 and what do you hope to get out of it?

Personally, I can find a lot of other things that work out my finger skills AND have
much more musicality to them. Therefore its much more likely I'd be practicing things
I'd actually use. So, to the extent I can find much better things to do, that would be
a waste of time.

well said
shred is gaudy music
Don't just run back and forth, do interesting things with them. Jump every other string. Only do down-picking, only do up-picking.Don't do 1234 but 1 34 6 and 123 5 to work on finger stretches. Do that diagonally. Do 1234 4321. Do it legato. Practice triplets(123, 134, 123, ...). Practice hybrid picking. Here's an exercise I'm currently working on myself.(the hard part is 3-2 to 2-3 on the outer strings)

-4-3-2-1--------------- [...] -1-2-3-4---------
------------4-3-2-1--- [...] -------------
------------------------- [...] -------------
------------1-2-3-4---- [...] -------------
-1-2-3-4--------------- [...] -4-3-2-1---------

look up the spider exercise, which is another variation of 1234.

I'd mix it up more instead of doing the same old same old.

(Also, how are there 24 combinations? You wouldn't have a enough frets?)
Quote by capiCrimm
Don't just run back and forth, do interesting things with them. Jump every other string. Only do down-picking, only do up-picking.Don't do 1234 but 1 34 6 and 123 5 to work on finger stretches. Do that diagonally. Do 1234 4321. Do it legato. Practice triplets(123, 134, 123, ...). Practice hybrid picking. Here's an exercise I'm currently working on myself.(the hard part is 3-2 to 2-3 on the outer strings)

-4-3-2-1--------------- [...] -1-2-3-4---------
------------4-3-2-1--- [...] -------------
------------1-2-3-4---- [...] -------------
-1-2-3-4--------------- [...] -4-3-2-1---------

look up the spider exercise, which is another variation of 1234.

I'd mix it up more instead of doing the same old same old.

(Also, how are there 24 combinations? You wouldn't have a enough frets?)

couldn't you do all that on some actual scales ? that way you could apply what your practicing musically.
shred is gaudy music