new guitar, in around 6 months i will have the money for a new guitar as well as the new amp im buying really soon. ive been playing for 3 years with a copy strat and love the feel of the strat, so i would really like a fender, but i want the tone of a humbuking so i was thinking of buying a strat hss in artic white as i will only have < £400 to spend. idealy id like a gibson les paul but for that i would never get one and n i dont want a epihphone
GEAR

customised westfield strat soon to be HH
MIJ 68'reissue strat from 1996

bunch of boss pedals
get a fender and mayber change the pick-up
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
don't knock epiphone, in a couple of days i should have my new epiphone explorer, and its just as good as the gibson, but costs less!!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
Schecter C-1 elite, my mate has one an its gorgeous, not to mention sounds great
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by higgy30
idealy id like a gibson les paul but for that i would never get one and n i dont want a epihphone

Sure a gibson is a little better but really overrated, i have a epiphone les paul but often play gibsons at the local store and the difference is really not that big...
ok i think ive narrowed it down to http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/art320/index.html
or
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/fender/standard_stratocaster_hss/index.html
keep in mind, i play alot of blink/green day/less than jake. but i also like to play guns n roeses and the chilli pepers
GEAR

bunch of boss pedals
both are good choices though i've been wanting an hss for a while now
Quote by Deadmen

i have one question, how mcuh batterys do the active pickups on the ibanez take up ? and what would sound better for playing punk/pop punk
GEAR

bunch of boss pedals
i think the hss is better for those cuz some punk stuff is played with single coils. just depends on the bands and for batteries it all depends on the type of pickup. but i dont think you need actives for that stuff. but i'm no expert on active pickups i dont own any guitar that has them. my cousin does so i have played them
Quote by Deadmen

what exactly are the advantages of actives and would they be over kill for the mentioned styles
GEAR

bunch of boss pedals
Quote by Giant Tool
don't knock epiphone, in a couple of days i should have my new epiphone explorer, and its just as good as the gibson, but costs less!!!

No, it's not.
I've got an Epiphone Les Paul, and I love it. Why don't go for one? The Standards are great for the price your paying, they're not soo much worse than a Gibson, especially not the low-ends. I've tried some mexican Fenders and don't like them at all. Sure, they are maybe easier to play than a Les Paul, but I'd say that's more up to what you're used to.

But if you like Stratocasters, then you should definitly get one.
aint NOTHIN' wrong with an Epiphone. try some out.

sounds like you need a guitar with both humbuckers and singles or coil tap. maybe try some Schecters? if i'm not mistaken, i think most of those have coil tap.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
I love how everyone saying "Don't knock Epi's" owns and epi. Lulz.

Anywho, get the strat. I agree, best feeling guitars on the planet. If you want that sound, Seymour Duncan makes these rails, wich are 'buckers that will fit in your single coil holes.
HSS strat wins? To answer your question about active pick ups...
Active and passive pickups...

Pickups can be either active or passive. Pickups, apart from optical types, are inherently passive transducers. So-called active pickups incorporate electronic circuitry to modify the signal. Passive pickups are usually wire wound around a magnet. They can generate electric potential without need for external power, though their output is relatively low, and the harmonic content of output depends greatly on the winding.

Passive pickups are very convenient as they require no power source to operate. They are the most popular and widely used pickup type on electric guitars, and their frequency response curve is unique to the type and manufacturer.
EMG 81 & EMG 85 — pair of the most famous active pickups in the world
EMG 81 & EMG 85 — pair of the most famous active pickups in the world

Active pickups require an electrical source of energy to operate and include an electronic preamp, active filters, active EQ and other sound-shaping features. They can sometimes give much higher possible output. They also are less affected in tone by varying lengths of amplifier lead, and amplifier input characteristics. Magnetic pickups used with 'active' circuitry usually feature a lower inductance (and initially lower output) winding that tends to give a flatter frequency response curve.

The disadvantages of active pickups are the power source (usually either a battery or phantom power), cost, and less defined unique tonal signature. They are more popular on bass guitars, because of their solid tone; most high-end bass guitars feature an active pickup. Most piezoelectric and all optical pickups are active and include some sort of preamp.

The main advantages of active pickups are that they are hum and noise free, at least compared to their passive single coil counterparts, as they require no ground wiring to connect to ground, which also may isolate the player from being electrocuted, should the wiring elsewhere, in other equipment such as a guitar amp, have become hazardous in any way.

That was from wikipedia - wow... I have an Ibanez similar to the one you are considering that does not have active pickups. It plays great and the finish is amazing. IMO strats have underwhelming finishes until you get to the high end sunbursts, ie +$650 over the Ibanez.
Good luck.
I would get the Fender Mexican HSS strat. Best bet for you. Go try some guitars out, see what you like.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by Giant Tool

It can't be just as good. It's not bad, but don't say it's just as good.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()