Poll: do you let people touch your instrument?
Poll Options
View poll results: do you let people touch your instrument?
yeah doesnt bother me, let em have fun
101 24%
no, no one touches my baby
30 7%
only if they know what they are doing
259 61%
only if im teaching them and im watching
34 8%
Voters: 424.
Page 1 of 3
i have friends over alot, and they almost always pick up my guitar and just start "playing." and damn, grindcore sounds more structured than that. does it bother anyone else when someone starts playing your instrument? i personally dont mind as long as the person knows what they are doing, or im showing them how to do something.
i don't care if they do or not. could care less.
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
I don't really, unless its someone who is annoying
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
i dont mind if they PLAY it, just dont insult it
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
If the person knows what they're doing, I don't care.

However the last time someone picked up my guitar, the headstock almost got ripped off by the ceiling fan.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Last edited by Ringtone at Feb 27, 2008,
depending on the person. like, if they know what their doing somewhat, they can. but if they pick it up and start twisting and banging on it, i get mad.
Moments into minutes.
Minutes into hours.
Hours into days.
Days into years.
Years into possibility.

This will linger.
xxx
i hate it when peaople just assume they can play my guitar...... but im guilty of picking up any guitar within my vicinity aswell
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Don't care. I've even loaned them out to a few people who wanted to learn.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I don't care, unless it's a really young kid who'll drop it or something. One of my little cousins grabbed my acoustic and dropped it. The machinehead broke off.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Well, I live in a dorm room so everyone is always in and out and everyone likes to check out which of my guitars is on the stand that day. My rules are:
1. Don't touch without asking
2. You can't play it unless I actually know you
3. If I'm not in the room, don't touch it regardless of if I've allowed it before
4. If you're a member of my band, you can play anything without asking first
5. Don't turn the amp on without asking me, and don't expect me to say yes
6. Ask me before re-tuning, unless it's drop D

That's basically it, most everyone respects my rules, and my room mate used to play guitar so he respects my gear and watches over it when I'm gone.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I let them, but I watch them like a hawk. I'm not gonna let $800 get smashed into a wall.
well my guitar is a PoS so i couldn't care less if they tried to "play"....

breaking it is gonna cost em tho
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

It depends. An experienced guitarist would probably be allowed whereas a drummer would be given my 3/4 size Encore strat copy with no strings.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
I went with the "Only if they know what they are doing" choice, but the last one applies too. I'll let some of my friends that don't know how to play it touch it if I am trying to teach them.
unless im feeling very generous...the only people i let touch/play are people who are guitarists/musicians and wont do something stupid(probably...)
Quote by Sir Daniel
It depends. An experienced guitarist would probably be allowed whereas a drummer would be given my 3/4 size Encore strat copy with no strings.

a drummer wouldnt be able to tell. hed be perfectly happy with that
As long as they don't mess with the tuners, im ok with anyone playing my bass. hell, i even pick it up by the strings quite happily and its covered in scratches and dents that ive caused, so damage really isn't an issue to me.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
I hate it when someone who doesn't know what they're doing picks one up. I once knew this guy who jokingly goes: 'Image I just...' and lifts the guitar up by the top of the next and motions to smash it.

We're not friends anymore!
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
Quote by deathbat831

haha +1

he'd probably be like "woooow its so smooth. so thats how yall play so fast."

stupid drummers

how do you know the stage is level? the drool is coming out both sides of the drummer's mouth.
Ibanez RGT42DX
-D'Addario .09-.42
Washburn X10
-Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottem
Cort 5 String Bass

Kustom Arrow 160FX
Electro-Harmonix-Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Digitech-Grunge

i never let ANYONE touch it, unless I'm playing THEIR instrument. I'm nice and stingey like that I've had someone play indie music on my guitar, and it ****ED it right up
as long as i'm watching and i'm sure that the person isn't going to return it destroyed.
Put on some pants, its time to dance! -The Happy Phrase

Quote by Alice Cooper
The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades.

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Banned because... Disaster, you good sir, are a f*cking genius!
Quote by PurpleMonkeyDW
I hate it when someone who doesn't know what they're doing picks one up.
We're not friends anymore!

Yeah that's annoying. One thing that does really make me wanna smash some skulls is newbies strumming the two high strings a couple of times, doing a one fingered bend and then proclaiming the guitar to be out of tune, even when it clearly isn't.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
I brought my guitar in to my college group today. It's diversity week there, we all had to bring items that represent us. My nice Telecaster, something that would be a big shame to loose or get damaged. Neither of that happened, but some of the pupils wanted a look. It's cool if they wanna touch it lol, or strum the strings.
Quote by deathbat831

hahahahahahaha

Quote by ctb
I brought my guitar in to my college group today. It's diversity week there, we all had to bring items that represent us. My nice Telecaster, something that would be a big shame to loose or get damaged. Neither of that happened, but some of the pupils wanted a look. It's cool if they wanna touch it lol, or strum the strings.

that wink at the end kinda made me go <.< >.> O_O
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Last edited by lexaah at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by deathbat831
haha i like how some of you guys have names for them and are acting like they are people.

my sasha gives me more joy than most of the things in this world :3

and i dont mind any of my band members playing it whenever they feel like it... but if i ever see someone i dont know touching my girl ...
I usually don't have a problem, my problem is mostly when they play music i dont like on my guitar. Like if someone starts playing blink songs.
As many dents as I've already put into my expensive guitars because I played it when I was drunk, I don't think I can really worry too much about people damaging it without being a hypocrite. Besides, it's probably safer in their hands, because they're not as p0nx as me, and won't want to smash it, most likely.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
only another guitarist

EDIT: and no noobs
Last edited by Psychedelico at Feb 27, 2008,
I tend to only give my guitar to people who can actually play it, otherwise I dont trust them
well, they COULD if they tried well enough, but nobody gets close to my baby, under penalty of severe testicular pain.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
My drummer has snapped more strings on my guitar than I have. I still let him use it because he (god knows how) comes up with some pretty awesome riffs and can't write down music so he has to show me.

No-one else every really asks.
I prefer them to ask first, and as long as they don't treat it badly then its fine
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
I have nothing against a friend picking up my guitar, however everytime I get a nervous feeling and fear that my guitar will get damaged, but that's just me, I can't help it.
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

Page 1 of 3