i have a guitar build project in mind......here's the deal:
BODY:
-Gibson SG body style.
-Red finish with black tribal decals.
-Mahogany Bodywood

NECK:
-Thin type.
-Dark Colored Neck Wood: Ebony.....
-Dark Coolored fret board: Ebony, Rosewood....
-Trapezoid Inlays

PICKUPS:
-HSH
-Passive DiMarzio pickups
Neck: PAF Pro
Middle: HS-3
Bridge: D Activator Bridge

TREMOLO:
-Floyd Rose Original Tremolo

ELECTRONICS & WIRING:
-Similar to Ibanez HSH models

i plan to start the project in the summer 2008,
and i have a few problems:

-fretboard wood choices and their benefits
-neck wood choices and their benefits

PS I play guitar almost 5 years now, and i wanna build smthing that suits me....I play metal.....Arch Enemy, Slayer, Metallica, Children Of Bodom, Avenged Sevenfold, Iron Maiden........
Last edited by antoun at Mar 12, 2008,
assuming you go with dimarzios, i would suggest steve's special in the bridge and a paf pro in the neck. my les paul has that setup and i love it. wouldn't know about the single though.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
-Body wood choices other than basswood and their benifits
-Neck wood choices and their benifits

Both can be answered fairly well here. For the neck, I'd suggest something like mahogany if you want a darker colour. Maybe rosewood, or just a painted neck? ebony is possible, but it's be more expensive.

-Fretboard wood choices and their benifits
maple, rosewood and ebony are the most commonly used. You mentioned wanting a dark fretboard, so ebony or rosewood would be the way to go. Ebony is a bit brighter sounding than rosewood.

-Pickup choice and models whether active or passive and plz whats the difference?
Actives require a battery, and use a booster to get higher output. Passives are what you'd see in many stock guitars.
Actives are usually used for metal, but you can get decent cleans from them, as well. I've heard good things about the seymour duncan blackouts. Maybe check them out.

-Is there anything I should change to suit my style?
Probably, but nothing I can think of atm.

And I don't think that an SG with a monkey grip would look that great, but whatever, it's you're guitar...
a smile came to my face when you said SG style body

but the rest failed to impress me i'm afraid

anyway.. good luck.
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
So a shredders SG eh?

For bodywood basswood wil be fine, it's cheap, easy to work with and a good wood, very middle of the road.

Now for pickups, I'd say passive, active are generally too high output to do cleans really well, but I'd still say high output and from DiMarzio you have a nice range:
Really high output: X2N, Deactivators, X deactivators (or something crazy like that) they're the highest one's you'll get. Chuck Schuldiner used the X2N and Vai did in Frank Zappa, noone famous as of yet seems to have used the Deactivators (maybe the guy from Necrophagist?)

Moderately high: D-sonic (John Petrucci's signature pickup, so very versatile), Super Distortion, Tone Zone (beware these seem to go muddy in some cases)

Well there are more, check the website, however, check out Seymour Duncan, they have some good ones, actually the config I'm getting for my S470 may also suit you:
Bridge: Seymour Duncan SH-12 (George Lynch model) Neck: DiMarzio Evo neck.
In the middle I'm having a dimarzio Blue/true velvet but these seem a lil' low output for you, try somethign liek maybe the DiMarzio HS-3.
Anyway yeah this has a high output bridge pickup that won't muddy up, a singing neck pickup that is sensitive to your playing, good for solos and whatever middle you want.

And for neck wood, are you bolting on, setting or doing neckthru?
Most SGs have a mahogany neck and a rosewood fretboard, however personally I'd go maple fretboard and maple bolt on neck (with AANJ) but it's preference!

Good luck.
ok, so for the body, i'll go basswood. i might cancel the monkey grip. dimarzio passive pickups, gonna check the website to suit my style. im stil torn abt the neck though...
Basswood would be a BAD choice for an SG. The neck is going to be way too heavy to be playable. Not to mention it is a weak wood. In a guitar like an SG without a lot of mass, its going to break very easily. Another issue is basswood is going to be a thin sounding wood in a small SG body. Mahogany won't cost that much for a small block. If you do a mahogany body, do a mahogany neck w/ an ebony board. Ebony has a much smoother feel that rosewood which works well for shredding and looks really nice with black and red. If you can't afford mahogany for the neck, use hard rock maple. Durable, and fairly affordable. The issue you run with hardmaple is if you use anything other than a mahogany body is it it will head dive something awful. Even with Mahogany you will run that risk, but it is a stronger wood than mahogany. Remember, you don't need to go with light woods on an SG, as it will be light to begin with due to the small size of the body and lack of mass due to the Floyd Rose
kudos to anyone who fashions a decent looking monkey grip into their guitar... but it's an attraction getter. good or bad, it will attract a different stage presence.

basswood comes in different varieties just like other woods, you could have a decent sounding body combined with some nice pickups, but if you don't go with a lightweight neck as well, your guitar will be weight lop-sided. lol. and that is what really sucks.

I don't think I have much else to add to this except that your should research tonewoods, hear sound clips, play instruments, and after your exhausted, then you'll probably know better what you want to go with.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
ok, i set my mind abt the pickups: they will be passive dimarzios:
NECK : PAF PRO DP151
MIDDLE : HS-3 DP117
BRIDGE : D Activator Bridge DP220
remember its an HSH guitar, if any1 has a better match plz dont hesitate to tell me abt it...
Last edited by antoun at Feb 29, 2008,
anything funny on the wiring? simple? phase in/out switches? coil splitting?
STUFFZ:
Digitech Bad Monkey
nope, i need it as standard as can be, smwat like the standard ibanez wiring 4 their HSH guitars
Ibanez HSH "Steve Vai" Wiring is a pain in the ass actually. A much easier job is 2 humbuckers.
i want the tone of the strat smtimes, n 2 humbucking can cut it....the wiring isnt that big deal to me, i have a friend thats a guitar tech, he can help me with the wiring....its the combination that worries me
you *could* go H/H/H, have three volumes, one for each pickup, and one tone. The one tone could be a master tone, and each of the volume pots could be push pull for splitting (or kill the signal so that you don't have four pots sapping your tone 100% of the time). killer way to go. but my electronics choices have always been non-standard, so ignore me if this sounds dumb to you. lol
STUFFZ:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by jedilley
you *could* go H/H/H, have three volumes, one for each pickup, and one tone. The one tone could be a master tone, and each of the volume pots could be push pull for splitting (or kill the signal so that you don't have four pots sapping your tone 100% of the time). killer way to go. but my electronics choices have always been non-standard, so ignore me if this sounds dumb to you. lol

HS-3 would make it HHH as its a stacked humbucker.
ah. I'm not savvy on dimarzio pickups. lol
STUFFZ:
Digitech Bad Monkey
then a slight change, mahogony body, ebony neck....for the bodywood price,, its not gonna be a prob cuz my uncle has a workshop, he builds custom furniture.....but it should be a not-that-rare wood, for the neck, im gonna order it online, cant run risks with the fretboard and such...
Quote by antoun
ok, i set my mind abt the pickups: they will be passive dimarzios:
NECK : PAF PRO DP151
MIDDLE : HS-3 DP117
BRIDGE : D Activator Bridge DP220
remember its an HSH guitar, if any1 has a better match plz dont hesitate to tell me abt it...

good choice, the paf is really clear. basically, it kicks ass
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
ok, so for sure i know what pickups to get, but one question..... will the guitar be lopsided if i go mahogany body and ebony neck??? and what other wood than mahogany would suit metal style guitars???
If you go Mahoghany body, there will be a smaller chance of the neck tilting towards the ground. I would never use Basswood building an SG, thats for sure.

-Mick.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
what should i use in body and neck woosd to prevent having the neck tilted???? remember i need a shredders guitar \m/
Right, this is custom.
Just make the body thicker than a usual SG and use basswood.

Unless you're planning on buying an SG and modding it there's no need to worry.
Punk Ninja, the basswood is far too light. Adding a few millimeters to the thickness isnt going to add much weight.

-Mick

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Quote by roast
Punk Ninja, the basswood is far too light. Adding a few millimeters to the thickness isnt going to add much weight.

-Mick

Or tone for that matter. It will sound as thin as plywood.
Quote by roast

-Mick

Making it les Paul thickness may help, but damn are they chunky!
And thinkin' bout it, you're right, but there are probably some alternatives to basswood that are heavier.
There are some good alternatives. Alder, while sounding similar to Basswood, is a lot heavier and produces a better tone. Mahogany, while sounding darker than basswood, is a good choice as it is heavy enough to prevent an SG from tipping.

CJRocker, Basswood is a lot different to plywood. It sounds a whole lot better. A lot of Ibanez guitars are made from Basswood.

-Mick.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Quote by roast
There are some good alternatives. Alder, while sounding similar to Basswood, is a lot heavier and produces a better tone. Mahogany, while sounding darker than basswood, is a good choice as it is heavy enough to prevent an SG from tipping.

CJRocker, Basswood is a lot different to plywood. It sounds a whole lot better. A lot of Ibanez guitars are made from Basswood.

-Mick.

I know that, but in an SG size guitar, it won't be much different I find it works best on larger guitars or guitars with a nice tonewood for the top.
To a certain extent, yes. I agree with that.

-Michael.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Not a whole lot brighter though. Its similar, but not exact.

-Michael.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
An SG with a grip, HSH pups, and a trem is going to be like an abortion... you'll be happy you got it over with but society will just be pissed.

You're going to need to make the SG body thicker than normal to fit the floyd properly so i think the neck tilt concern are slightly overstated. Isn't the main reason it tilts the thinness of the body, which makes it light despite being mahogany? That and the strap button placement...

A neat electronics idea I'm gonna try this weekend is a bypass switch that lets you skip volume and tone pots and just get the full sound out. Or... how would one wire a 3-way switch that gives bypass/normal/kill? With just a typical on/on/on... is that possible? Or would you have to have the kill function in the middle position?

And basswood doesn't sound thin, imo. You're probably thinking of the infinity ibanez pickups it's usually paired with, which sound pretty thin.
Last edited by bullets34 at Mar 6, 2008,
im gonns lose the grip, but the SG body, HSH, and trem are a must. i need standard electonics, nothn fancy, maybe a killswitch but thats it
Quote by antoun

PS I play guitar almost 5 years now, and i wanna build smthing that suits me....I play metal.....Arch Enemy, Slayer, Metallica, Children Of Bodom, Avenged Sevenfold, Iron Maiden........

Arch Enemy & COB ****in' own! The rest are pretty sweet too....

(my fav. bands are PanterA/Arch Enemy/COB )
NO BASSWOOD! It's way too light, horrible tone, and not durable.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
ok, so im gonna make the body mahogany with an ebony fretboard and neck....any1 has an idea abt an excellent red finish????