Hello people, I'm desperate. I've been gone from school for three weeks, and I have a Math test tomorrow. And I've forgotten stuff I need to know, so if someone could tell me how I solve these I'd be glad! I need the way you do it, not just the answers. I work with something called polynom in Swedish, and I have no ****ing clue what its called in English. Basically, there are four solutions for X in this case.

This is what I got: x^4-10x^2+9=0. x^2 is re-written t. So the number we have is:

x^4 - 10t + 9= 0

It has FOUR solutions:

x1:
x2:
x3:
x4:

How do I figure this out? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'll probably post more stuff here if I can get help.

-DW
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
If t = x^2, the new formula is t^2 -10t + 9 = 0. Then just solve the quadratic. And sub t = x^2 in again.
Quote by chubbychunks
If t = x^2, the new formula is t^2 -10t + 9 = 0. Then just solve the quadratic. And sub t = x^2 in again.

+1

this is all you need to solve this problem, then, if you dont know nothing at all its serious ****, son, the pits not the right place. Get your maths book and revise all you can. Stay calm, never panic! those exercises are easy
*throws up all over maths*
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by swinghead
+1

this is all you need to solve this problem, then, if you dont know nothing at all its serious ****, son, the pits not the right place. Get your maths book and revise all you can. Stay calm, never panic! those exercises are easy

Ah, from there I can just use the formula-thingy. Ignore the numbers, I just drew somethign real quick. Please god let it be this one. It looks something like this:

Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by chubbychunks

This is correct. This equation factors to (t-9)(t-1)=0, which means t=9,1. Since t=x^2, x=3, -3, 1, -1.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer (white)
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender SuperSonic 112
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
EHX No.1 Echo
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Quote by KrgrHomebrew
This is correct. This equation factors to (t-9)(t-1)=0, which means t=9,1. Since t=x^2, x=3, -3, 1, -1.
...I think he just wanted a hint

Edit: Demon, revise the formula. It's x=(-b+-(sqrt:(b^2-2ac)))/(2a).

I think....lol.
Last edited by Wratheh at Feb 27, 2008,
^^ its b^2 - 4ac in the quadratic formula
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
the bad thing about this is that after you do the quadratic formula your going to have to answer with polars.
Quadramabatic Thingamabobbers.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by samuwel
^^ its b^2 - 4ac in the quadratic formula

Ah, close though. But seriously, someone's already answered it lol.
This is what I got: x^4-10x^2+9=0. x^2 is re-written t. So the number we have is:

t² - 10t + 9= 0

D = b² - 4AC = 100- 4*1*9 = 64 = 8²

t1 = (-b+D^(1/2))/2A = (10+8)/2 = 9
(X^(1/2) = square root of X)
t2 = (-b-D^(1/2))/2a = (10-8)/2 = 1

=> X1 = 9^(1/2) = 3
X2 = = -3
X3 = 1^(1/2) = 1
X4 = = -1

V=[-3, -1 ,1 ,3]

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Why would you use the formula.
Just factorize it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Why would you use the formula.
Just factorize it.

It's cause I have a deep sensual passion for formulas.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.