Page 1 of 2
Survey for a research paper for school:

Do you think absolute good and absolute evil exist?

Do you believe that evil exists in nature?

Do you think for good to exist it needs evil and vice versa?

Other opinions.
For our definiton of good then there must neccesarily be evil, yes.

Aside from that, good and evil are words without meaning, neither of them exist outside of our minds. They are nothing.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
No, no, yes.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
They're both different perceptions of the same thing, it all depends on the viewpoint of the person.
The ideas of good and evil are merely perceptions built by culminations of evolutionary survival.

In other words, our idea that:

Taking life=Bad.
Giving life=Good.

Consider this: What if Hitler, instead of dying in his bunker, instead lapsed into a brain dead coma. Do you suppose that over the course of the rest of his life spent in this coma, his soul could have purified itself from evil to good? If the answer is no, then is the soul not then merely a construct of the mind? If the answer is yes, is morality volitional?
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
lol, who knew, the pit is big collective of post-modernist losers.

Quote by freedoms_stain
good and evil are inventions of man.

i agree my young Padiwan
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
Quote by gen0doom
They're both different perceptions of the same thing, it all depends on the viewpoint of the person.

This is a good way of putting it too in addition to inventions of man.
no, no and no
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by cam_sampbell
no, no and no

How do you suggest good exists without evil?
No, no, yes.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by meh!
How do you suggest good exists without evil?

Well, what would you class as good?
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by cam_sampbell
Well, what would you class as good?

Nothing, technically speaking. I wouldn't class anything as objectively good.
Quote by meh!
Nothing, technically speaking. I wouldn't class anything as objectively good.

Exactly
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
Quote by cam_sampbell
Exactly

That doesn't answer my question.

"Does good need evil to exist".

it's a hypothetical asking IF good exists does it need evil. Not, "does good exist".
Quote by meh!
That doesn't answer my question.

"Does good need evil to exist".

it's a hypothetical asking IF good exists does it need evil. Not, "does good exist".

OK, but if good does exist in whatever form, why would there HAVE to be evil?
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
Quote by gen0doom

Right.
Quote by cam_sampbell
OK, but if good does exist in whatever form, why would there HAVE to be evil?

It's all part of one scale. Good at one end and evil at the other. As soon as you accept good as existing then there has to be evil at the other end so that you can recognise and tell them apart from each other. That's the only way you could tell a good action, if you can compare it to a bad one.
Quote by meh!
It's all part of one scale. Good at one end and evil at the other. As soon as you accept good as existing then there has to be evil at the other end so that you can recognise and tell them apart from each other. That's the only way you could tell a good action, if you can compare it to a bad one.

but it could be only good or only evil and you might not recognize what it is but it could still be there
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
yes yes yes
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by cam_sampbell
but it could be only good or only evil and you might not recognize what it is but it could still be there

Fair enough, morality seems to have even less point if there are no humans around to recognise it. But still, you're essentialy right, "good" (whatever that is) could exist and we simply haven't recognised it.

EDIT: And in answer to that last question, then, I also change my answer to "no".

Though, my answer stays yes for good to exist in any meaningful or relevant way.
Quote by meh!
Fair enough, morality seems to have even less point if there are no humans around to recognise it. But still, you're essentialy right, "good" (whatever that is) could exist and we simply haven't recognised it.

EDIT: And in answer to that last question, then, I also change my answer to "no".

Though, my answer stays yes for good to exist in any meaningful or relevant way.

but we can never know for sure
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
Quote by cam_sampbell

There wouldn't be good or evil without someone labeling it as such.

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Don't know

Yes

Yes
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by meh!

BUT if good/evil are inventions of man then good can't exist without our recognition.

Good can't exist without evil, your scale analagy is a pretty decent way of putting it.

If everything was "good" then nothing would be good, there'd be no point in having a good if there wasn't a bad/evil to compare it to.
Quote by cam_sampbell
but we can never know for sure

Though, the chance that there is and we 'just don't know about it" is so small it's pointless.
BUT if good/evil are inventions of man then good can't exist without our recognition.
QUOTE]

That's not the question though, so yeah. I agree with you, but the question was a hypothetical about good existing, so we have to accept taht.

Anyway, agree with the rest of your post.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Good and evil are points of view.

Hitler was a hero to the Germans.

he brainwashed them with propaganda, it doesnt matter how they view it they were tricked and his actions were pure evil.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by Mad Marius
There wouldn't be good or evil without someone labeling it as such.

There could be, it is possibly that there exists an objective system of morality.

It's silly possibility, but it's there.
I think Hitler was a hero. In MY point of view, Hitler was good, not evil.

There is no such thing as "absolute good or evil".
Quote by meh!
There could be, it is possibly that there exists an objective system of morality.

It's silly possibility, but it's there.

Yeah, in a world of bravery and magic, where midgets throw jewelry into volcanoes, sure, there could be.

Page 1 of 2