so I have a combo Randall amp, as well as a cab, which says has an impedance of 16 ohms, which is 4 ohms per speaker? the amp has 2 spots I can connect to the speaker, one which is 4 ohms, and disconnects the amp's speaker, and another which is 8 ohms, and the sound comes out the cab and the amp's speaker. which is better to do? and would connecting it through the 8 ohm spot on the amp wreck the cab, since it's only 4 ohms per speaker?
no problem, looks like it should work on both of the two plugs. If the cab can handle the amps wattage no damage should occur since you need the connected load to be higher (more ohms) or same as the requested one. If, lets say, you connect a 16 ohms cab to your 8 ohms spot, you just get less power than what youd get with a 8 ohms cab. Get it? just MAKE SURE THE WATTAGE OF THE CAB IS HIGHER THAN THE AMPS(LETS SAY 75 WATT IF THE AMP IS 60 W RMS)

edit - conclusion: you can use one of the two spots with probably(cause i dont kow all your specs) no harm for your gear, id suggest the 8 ohms one so you get more power (from the cab) and better diffusion of sound using the amps internal speaker too
Last edited by swinghead at Feb 27, 2008,
sweet thanks. what if the cab is 8 ohms. could it still go into the 8 ohm spot and not cause damage? the cab is good for 200 watts I think, and my amp is 75
Quote by seanathan
what if the cab is 8 ohms. could it still go into the 8 ohm spot and not cause damage?

yes, that would be perfect. if the resistance is the same, its ok. I think its more important for the cab not to have lower resistance than said or its probably gonna melt the amp

Quote by seanathan
the cab is good for 200 watts I think, and my amp is 75

good, youre sure you wont blow your cab. Maybe its even too much of a cab for a 75W amp, but at least theres no risk

hope this was useful