I was hanging out in my friend's dorm room last night and this guy comes in. We get to talking and it leads to guitar discussion. I told him I've only been playing about two years, to which he complemented my abilites thus far. Anywho he began to tell me or show me some things, namely Parameters. While I vaguely understood what he was getting at about how its moveable and can produce a range of different tones, which I believe are in the same key, I on the whole didn't really understand.

To this end I was wondering if anyone who might be in the know can elaborate on Parameters, i.e- how they are used, what they tie into, benefits etc...

Thanks fellow shredists.
Redun
Quote by Redundecency
I was hanging out in my friend's dorm room last night and this guy comes in. We get to talking and it leads to guitar discussion. I told him I've only been playing about two years, to which he complemented my abilites thus far. Anywho he began to tell me or show me some things, namely Parameters. While I vaguely understood what he was getting at about how its moveable and can produce a range of different tones, which I believe are in the same key, I on the whole didn't really understand.

To this end I was wondering if anyone who might be in the know can elaborate on Parameters, i.e- how they are used, what they tie into, benefits etc...

Thanks fellow shredists.
Redun

parameter is not a musical term. You must have heard the guy wrong, or he didnt know what he was talking about.

Parameter is something you can adjust on an effects unit.... its not something you play on guitar.

parameter
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
parameter is not a musical term. You must have heard the guy wrong, or he didnt know what he was talking about.

Parameter is something you can adjust on an effects unit.... its not something you play on guitar.

parameter

yeah I did a search for it and turned up nothing. The guy knew what he was talking about because he was playing it real well. It may be that his terminology is misktaken but I will try to explain what he was doing so hopefully someone will know what im talking about...

All he was doing was playing the third string on any fret, but playing it with the 4th string open. While he was playing say a B on the 3rd string fourth fret, he would be playing it simultaneously with the 4th string open. In addition to this he was playing the 1 and 2nd strings on the 2nd fret. He would alternate between the 1 and 2nd strings on the 2nd fret and fourth fret, and then move the whole shape up to a D and do essentially the same thing. He said it tied into bar chords but he wasn't playing barre chords. It sounded alot like some Dave Mathews style jams but he refered to them as parameters. I may be mistaken on what he said, but does anyway have the faintest inkling of what I'm talking about in the previous descrption? anyone, please?
I'm not sure if I understand your description, but it sounds like you might be talking about pedal tones. A pedal tone is one note that is played continuously while chords are being played. An example of this is the open D string in Run Like Hell by Pink Floyd.
Quote by werty22
I'm not sure if I understand your description, but it sounds like you might be talking about pedal tones. A pedal tone is one note that is played continuously while chords are being played. An example of this is the open D string in Run Like Hell by Pink Floyd.

Is this similar to or perhaps what Dave Matthews does? I talked to the kid again and he said it was in the same vein as what Dave does. IM not the biggest fan of his music but this style sounds nice and ethereal.
Quote by Redundecency
Is this similar to or perhaps what Dave Matthews does? I talked to the kid again and he said it was in the same vein as what Dave does. IM not the biggest fan of his music but this style sounds nice and ethereal.

I wouldn't know. I'm not familiar with any of Dave's music.
Did it look kinda like this but this is a c maj chord:

|-------------
|----1----1-
|----0----0-
|----2----2-
|-3----3----
|-------------

If so, that is pedal or drone tones. What werty22 was talking about.

With C being the pedal tone. (5th string, 3rd fret)