Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd ask, seing as I'm not sure myself. I'm a slow learner, that much I admit, but even I think I'm far behind when after a year and month of being a guitarist, I still can't play Sweet Child o' Mine even convincingly (i.e. still miss notes). Not only this, I can't do open chords (I mean, change from one to the other) and I regularly miss notes on scales when picking up them. I can tremolo pick pretty fast, but my alternate picking is a mess. After a year of playing, a mate of mine was writing songs. I still don't get theory.
I seem to have really bad co-ordination between my left and right hands in that I usually pick before my hand's even fretted the note. Some people have suggested exercises to up my speed, but I think my technique is really bad. I usually brace my fretting hand against the neck with my thumb and fret with my fingertips. I've tried wrapping my hand around the neck but I can't reach anything. Could this be what's holding me back?

Thanks,
Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by quantum leap
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd ask, seing as I'm not sure myself. I'm a slow learner, that much I admit, but even I think I'm far behind when after a year and month of being a guitarist, I still can't play Sweet Child o' Mine even convincingly (i.e. still miss notes). Not only this, I can't do open chords (I mean, change from one to the other) and I regularly miss notes on scales when picking up them. I can tremolo pick pretty fast, but my alternate picking is a mess. After a year of playing, a mate of mine was writing songs. I still don't get theory.
I seem to have really bad co-ordination between my left and right hands in that I usually pick before my hand's even fretted the note. Some people have suggested exercises to up my speed, but I think my technique is really bad. I usually brace my fretting hand against the neck with my thumb and fret with my fingertips. I've tried wrapping my hand around the neck but I can't reach anything. Could this be what's holding me back?

Thanks,
Rob

First of all, how old are you? are your hands big enough? second of all, how long do you practice for? third of all, how much do you want to play the guitar?
ask yourself those questions and then you will know.
Same things happen to me sometimes...I guess it's because of the amount of time we devote to practice and stuff ¬¬ or we're just wierdoes
warm up for at least a half hour and spend time on theory dude practice about 2-3 hours if you want to improve more. i spend at least half an hour learning about theory and about a half hour noodling around. also start playing with others. and the best trick of all is stay relaxed. if i dont warm up and stay relaxed i can mess up even the easiest song.. also sweet child of mine is easy you just need to practice it more
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
Everyone learns at a different pace. If you want to learn faster then you probably need to put more time in or the other obvious answer of getting a teacher.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
OKK, thanks for the replies. I'm 17 and practise probably about half an hour a day (if I get time, though). Last year, I was practising for about an hour a day though. And hell yes, Josh, I want to play . I just bought a new Ibanez 'cos I'm devoted. Does anyone think my technique is wrong? Quite often I'll be playing for a half-hour or so and my thumb will start to seriously ache so I have to stop. I know this shouldn't happen but I can't (currently) play any other way.

Rob

Edit: I forgot to mention - I do have a tutor, but only a half-hour lesson a week.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Um, yeah fix whatever problem you are having that makes your thumb hurt, grab a metronome and do some scalar things slowly and perfectly until your bad habits go away. And to build up alternate picking, grab that metronome again, and start with 4 note per string patterns, then 3 (they are hard at first), then start mixing it up using passages from songs and arpeggios and stuff. A lot of problems can be solved by using a metronome at a slow rate and building up from there.
Your thumb hurts? Do you play with your thumb over the neck (aka Hendrix) or behind the neck (like almost everyone else)?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Behind the neck, bracing my fingers against the fretboard. Guess it was something I picked up with my Strat when the action was so high...

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Try messing around with your left hand grip if you're still having pains after this long. Just messing with how you play can really help.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

What is making your thumb hurt? Are you grinding your knuckle against the neck or using too much force and bending your thumb backwards?
i had that problem and it was cuz you are too tight with your thumb you're pushing too hard i would guess
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
My advice,

Firstly, don't put yourself under pressure. There really is no major rush to learn guitar. Take your time and enjoy it as much as you can. Afterall, it is supposed to be for enjoyment. I'd say, really focus on a song you want to learn. Keep practicing the the bits you find hard over and over slowly, to build the precision, then step up the pace to build the speed and become fluid. As long as you spend a couple of hours or so a week, that's enough to improve and learn, but obviously the more you practice, the better you will become!

Good luck my friend!
dont squeeze the neck with your thumb, instead pull on the body of the guitar with your right arm to get pressure.

you should be able to play barre chords without even having your thumb on the neck if your doing it right.

I'de say for right now concetrate on open chords and barre chords and get those down really well and then move onto scales b/c you will be able to use the chords you learned to create chord progressions from the scales.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
How often do you play?
Some people learn at different rates.
I started working on Sweet Child o' Mine the first week I played and could play through it perfectly after a month or so. (not the solos of course)
I'm alot farther then I should be for the amount of time I've been playing though.. but I just picked up really fast..

How often do you play guitar?
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Feb 27, 2008,