The pre-amp does the majority of the colouring of the tone and the power-amp just amplifies that to the level you desire. The power-amp only really affects the tone when you start driving the amp hard, giving that power valve satuaration that the kids love. Hope that helps.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
The preamp dictates most of the gain structure and EQ. The power amp has a lesser effect unless you have the amp playing very loudly.
Does this answer your question? I'm not really sure what you meant by "how" the tone is effected. It's effected by the characteristics of the components and the layout thereof, just like everything else in your signal chain. That's "how," but I don't think that was what you meant.
No, that answer the question, and that also answers why even the SS-preamp-Tube poweramp hybrid is a marketing gimmick.
Quote by Kurapica
The pre-amp does the majority of the colouring of the tone and the power-amp just amplifies that to the level you desire. The power-amp only really affects the tone when you start driving the amp hard, giving that power valve satuaration that the kids love. Hope that helps.

the pre-amp doesn't really colour the tone at all... teh power tubes do most of the colouring, even at low volumes.
Quote by Jestersage
No, that answer the question, and that also answers why even the SS-preamp-Tube poweramp hybrid is a marketing gimmick.

Actually i really love that setup, thats fundamentally what i have in my rack, the solid state integrity and grit in the preamp, warmed by the power tubes...boosting the necessary frequencies.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Actually i really love that setup, thats fundamentally what i have in my rack, the solid state integrity and grit in the preamp, warmed by the power tubes...boosting the necessary frequencies.

Great... back to budgeting...

For those that's been keeping track of my posting, I was debating between a super champ xd or a pro junior. Super Champ XD seems good on paper, but I was worrying that its DSP preamp may make it a poor investment in the long run. Of course, it's also cheaper. ProJr, meanwhile, is all tube... and also more expensive, have very simple features, and may require pedals depend on the situation.

And no, they will never end up completely stock. There will be modding involved in the future, namely the speakers and transformer.