Is there anyway to get a 2x12 to sound the same as a 4x12. Say a Marshall 1936 2x12 vs 1960 4x12. Just 2x12's are eassyier to move around etc but i wasnt sure if the still sounded the same as the 4x12s?

Any help
if they are identical speakers it'd sound 95% the same, just move less air.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
if they are identical speakers it'd sound 95% the same, just move less air.

by that theroy a 1x12 would sound alot like a 4x12... i guess thats kinda right but Id say with a 4x12 you get a fuller sound and more bass =]
Im quite proud of that LOL

Quote by Unreal445
i found it funny that the pit reported it faster than sky news

Beneath The Fallen
Last edited by LeeSmellyFinger at Feb 27, 2008,
so what bout if i bought 2 2x12's or would that still not make it to 100% the same?
Quote by thefeet
so what bout if i bought 2 2x12's or would that still not make it to 100% the same?

i guess thats another option... but then that would be more expensive and possibly more hassel to move about. Id maybe get a 2x12 now then when you have the money buy a 4x12 so you have the option
Im quite proud of that LOL

Quote by Unreal445
i found it funny that the pit reported it faster than sky news

Beneath The Fallen
yea suppose but it's stoing it then moving it into the car and as im currently getting treatment on my lower back i dont want to be lifing 4x12's in and out of a car
4 speakers will move more air, and will have less wattage per speaker (giving a more balanced tone from each speaker), whereas 2 speakers move half the air, and are being driven harder, by the same amp (considering that both cabs are loaded with the same speaker)

you could try porting your cab, but if you screw up the measurements or placement, you'll have a cab that sounds like ass in a can.

if you find your marshall 2x12 just doesn't sound that "good", there are a few simple mods that can be done to improve the sound:

1) replace the back panel with real plywood (marshall uses pressboard, similar to MDF)
2) replace the handles with metal ones (cuts down on bleeding resonance and vibration)
3) secure the back panel, front baffle, and handles using a gasket-style system with silocone.
4) staple 1/2" insulation (polyfiber batting, you can get it at walmart) to the back panel.
Quote by thefeet

what's the point of buying 2 2x12's if there are 4x12's?
and I think 1 4x12 is cheaper than 2 2x12
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Well like there might be SOME difference, but barely noticeable really.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
you could try porting your cab, but if you screw up the measurements or placement, you'll have a cab that sounds like ass in a can.

Don't port speaker cabs for guitar!!! These are not subwoofers nor do they act or respond to being port tunned in the same way, They will not move any more air!. Plus the lowest a guitar goes in stardard tuning is around 80hz which is a reachable level for nearly any driver over 5inches in free air. Any way I would seal up you 212 like a a 412 cab, thats where they get the perseption of being bassy, not from the amount of speakers, thats nothing to do with it, it really has to do with cab being sealed up. The 6505 combo 212 is a sealed back combo, and really keeps that 412 type sound.
Quote by Johnbryant
Don't port speaker cabs for guitar!!! These are not subwoofers nor do they act or respond to being port tunned in the same way, They will not move any more air!. Plus the lowest a guitar goes in stardard tuning is around 80hz which is a reachable level for nearly any driver over 5inches in free air. Any way I would seal up you 212 like a a 412 cab, thats where they get the perseption of being bassy, not from the amount of speakers, thats nothing to do with it, it really has to do with cab being sealed up. The 6505 combo 212 is a sealed back combo, and really keeps that 412 type sound.

revered as one of the best sounding 2x12's on the market:

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1409&sid=419&cid=93

aaaaaand revered as THE best 1x12 on the market:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/COMPACTcabs/Thiele-1x12-LG.htm
^yeah but they did not just drill some holes in their cabs, these cabs have been totally redesinged from the ground up, and the Genz benz has a totally redesinged speaker as well, I'm sure the boogie does to, as I have never heard of a C90 speaker. Do not port your guitar cab, unless you want it sound like crap.
Quote by Johnbryant
^yeah but they did not just drill some holes in their cabs, these cabs have been totally redesinged from the ground up, and the Genz benz has a totally redesinged speaker as well, I'm sure the boogie does to, as I have never heard of a C90 speaker. Do not port your guitar cab, unless you want it sound like crap.

that's why i said "if you screw up the measurements or placement, you'll have a cab that sounds like ass in a can."

did you not see anything besides that in my first post?
^ did you not read mine?? Thous cabs look nothing like any cab I have ever seen! They are TOTALLY differnt than the cab that the TS is using, Period. You cannot just put some ports in any old guitar cab and expect it sound like the genz benz or the boogie cab which has be desinged from the ground up to be a ported box, not mention it has redisinged speakers as well. You need to read my post, I did read yours.
Quote by Johnbryant
^ did you not read mine?? Thous cabs look nothing like any cab I have ever seen! They are TOTALLY differnt than the cab that the TS is using, Period. You cannot just put some ports in any old guitar cab and expect it sound like the genz benz or the boogie cab which has be desinged from the ground up to be a ported box, not mention it has redisinged speakers as well. You need to read my post, I did read yours.

oh, i read yours. you said:

Don't port speaker cabs for guitar!!! These are not subwoofers nor do they act or respond to being port tunned in the same way, They will not move any more air!. Plus the lowest a guitar goes in stardard tuning is around 80hz which is a reachable level for nearly any driver over 5inches in free air.

which leaves one to believe that you were making the statement to not port any guitar cabs, as they "are not subwoofers".

for all i know, the OP could be an acoustic engineer who is willing to replace the speakers with EVM12L's, and who knows the dynamics of tuning a cabinet vis-a-vis porting.

chill the fuck out.
I'm not pissed, Im just trying to let the TS know that he/she cannot just port any old cab and expect it to sound good. And to think the TS is a acousticall engineer is pretty far out in left field, even if he was I really doubt he would need our help, likly some high schooler, no offence
Quote by Johnbryant
I'm not pissed, Im just trying to let the TS know that he/she cannot just port any old cab and expect it to sound good. And to think the TS is a acousticall engineer is pretty far out in left field, even if he was I really doubt he would need our help, likly some high schooler, no offence

oh, i don't think its likely at all, i'm just saying it's possible.

k, TS, read my first post in this thread again, but skip the bit about porting.
Quote by Johnbryant
They are TOTALLY differnt than the cab that the TS is using, Period.

You dont know what cab he is actually talking about.

Quote by Johnbryant
You cannot just put some ports in any old guitar cab and expect it sound like the genz benz or the boogie cab

You are completly wrong.

Any cab can be ported and sound fine.
There is also a difference between porting a cab and cutting holes in it.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.