Before i ask my question... just wanna say sorry about posting my last post in the wrong section... i just saw newbie and jumped the gun...

Anyways... Ive been playing for a total of4 days now. In the 4 days i learned most of the aspects of tabs and pretty much all of the basics... I can play glycerine pretty decently for somoene playing less than a week since its the only song ive really tried to play.

So here are my questions...

What would you recommend for someone playing less than a week as far as books or online/video tutorials go? Ive come across a few such as jamorama.com and am alittle skeptic.

Im not going to be taking any type of lessons because my schedule only allows me so much free time so im planning on teaching myself.

I got my hands on Guitar Pro 5.2 and was wondering if this is the only prog thats worth getting.
i agree i learned most my stuff from good ole justin....but w/e u wanna learn jus type it up on youtube...more then likely youll find it....and ug has a crazy amount of tabs....and if u got n e questions post em up...no matter how n00bish theyt be...jus read the rules first lol...i wouldnt try to learn n e thing crazy rght yet though...jus get ur finger strength down and make sure all ur notes are clear...take it in stride...rome wasnt built inna day
Well i was on youtube a few months ago and i found a video of this dude playing arterial black by drist and watching him play the solo made me want to do it too. So thats one of my goals... to play the Arterial Black solo... However many years it takes.. thats my main goal.

Id like to learn how to play all types of music... and just be able to jam out. Im not looking to impress anyone but myself.

But Ill check out justin and i guess ill post back up when i got that all down... and than let you guys take me to the next level.
Well a little update... tomorrow will mark exactly a month since i bought my guitar, and i gotta say i think within this time frame i have improved alot. Alot of my buddies say i should learn theory but i really dont see the point.

What I really want to do is learn how to sing and play at the same time. How do you even practice that? I tried on a very basic song and it just isnt happening.
Quote by shaunmood
Well a little update... tomorrow will mark exactly a month since i bought my guitar, and i gotta say i think within this time frame i have improved alot. Alot of my buddies say i should learn theory but i really dont see the point.

What I really want to do is learn how to sing and play at the same time. How do you even practice that? I tried on a very basic song and it just isnt happening.

Im not gonna force it on you, but theory is very beneficial.

Singing and playing is weird. I cant do it at all, but my friend has always been able to do it.
Singing and playing at the same time is sort of a natural talent i think but it can also be improved with practicing
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Quote by guitarplaya322
Singing and playing at the same time is sort of a natural talent i think but it can also be improved with practicing

Whatever the case is, im getting ahead of myself... Ive only been playing a month.

However within this months time I have accomplished alot. Ive got all the basics down pretty well. I can play alot of basic songs like AC/DCs Hells Bells... or AFIs Fall Children. But Im just looking for certain exercises to increase my speed and stuff like that.
Ok... so updating what i got going on... I got alternate picking pretty much down pat, I can play many basic songs (if you can play one basic song you can pretty much play em all) The whole finger strength thing is pretty much down. I can play scales. I can play with out looking.Speed is progressing every day. So i guess its time to actually move onto theory. I dunno why ive been fighting it but whatever.

Any good sites that you guys recommend for it?
Last edited by shaunmood at Mar 30, 2008,
Quote by joyal09
youve learned all that in a week? wow congrats. you learned more in a week then i learned in a year.

well its been alittle over a month since I started... But things are coming pretty easy.

Ill practice for like a half hour... go to the gym... come back practice for another half hour... stop do something else... come back for another half hour. I practice everyday.
Getting a teacher can help you a lot. Online videos are good, but having someone there in person is much better because you can actually ask them for help if you dont understand something
I do kind of have a teacher... One of my buddies that I work with comes over and shows me stuff like once or twice a week... Hes been playing guitar for about 6 yrs and drums for 10 i believe. Hes been in many bands and is a pretty well rounded player. Its impressive to watch him play.