Right, I'm looking for an upgrade from my Yamaha Pacifica 112, and I was thinking abouts a Telecaster. I have a few questions first;

1. Can a Telecaster play rock/metal along the lines of Rage Against The Machine, and for punk music?

2. Is the Fender Lite Ash Telecaster or the MIM Standard Telecaster a better option?
Quote by MrSheen
Right, I'm looking for an upgrade from my Yamaha Pacifica 112, and I was thinking abouts a Telecaster. I have a few questions first;

1. Can a Telecaster play rock/metal along the lines of Rage Against The Machine, and for punk music?

2. Is the Fender Lite Ash Telecaster or the MIM Standard Telecaster a better option?

1. A Tele is perfect for punk. Hell, could it not be described as THE punk guitar? But, it does tend to struggle with higher gain, but does a better job IMO than a Strat when in that situation.

2. Lite Ash I have heard are really good for the money. Stds are really good too, but maybe not as good as the Lite Ash.
i think a tele would do great for rage stuff. i dont think it will have the big thick tone you need for metal though. maybe a tele with an upgraded bridge pickup? if you play a lite ash and think it sounds good for heavy stuff, id get it. if not, id get the mim and upgrade the bridge pickup
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
What, does singing "Moderfukin death, Sat@n is t3h 1337!!" make you feel tough?

Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
Well I actually just found out now that Tom Morello does indeed use a Telecaster guitar. I'm happy.

I don't play that much metal, the most I would do is some Metallica or System Of A Down, but punk and rock are my main genres.
I've never played the Lite Ash Tele, but I've played the Lite Ash strat and I loved it. The features list is great for a guitar of its price. You get:
-Seymour Duncan pickups
-An Ash body
-Birdseye Maple Neck (doesn't have a huge impact on the tone, but it's the kind of feature you get when you buy a Bentley)

It's not made in North America tough, but play one and if the pickups sound good for punk, go for it.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Quote by ECwomantoneman
1. A Tele is perfect for punk. Hell, could it not be described as THE punk guitar? But, it does tend to struggle with higher gain, but does a better job IMO than a Strat when in that situation.

2. Lite Ash I have heard are really good for the money. Stds are really good too, but maybe not as good as the Lite Ash.

WHOA....STDS are not good.

Ohh. those STD's
Hello
I have a lite ash tele, dude its awesome. I've had it for a few years now and tbh I dont really want to change anything, its just flawless.
I got a telecaster 60th anniversary it's awesome and telecasters in general are a really versatile guitar ... hell i can even get away with playing a bit of slipknot :P
Quote by MrSheen
Well I actually just found out now that Tom Morello does indeed use a Telecaster guitar. I'm happy.

I don't play that much metal, the most I would do is some Metallica or System Of A Down, but punk and rock are my main genres.

Morello's tele has EMGs in it as far as I know, so it's not completely stock.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Nope, I found this on google:

Guitars (click for picture):

1. "Arm The Homeless" Custom - A custom Performance guitar with almost all the parts (neck, hardware, pickups, etc...) changed. It has EMG pickups (81 in the neck, 85 in the bridge), an Ibanez Edge vibrato, and what appears to be a Kramer neck. Tuning: Standard (EADGBE).
2. Early 80's Fender American Standard Telecaster - Completely stock, except for various pictures on it and scratches/chips from smashing a TV with it at the 2000 Video Music Awards. Tuning: Drop D (DADGBE).
Quote by MrSheen
Nope, I found this on google:

Guitars (click for picture):

1. "Arm The Homeless" Custom - A custom Performance guitar with almost all the parts (neck, hardware, pickups, etc...) changed. It has EMG pickups (81 in the neck, 85 in the bridge), an Ibanez Edge vibrato, and what appears to be a Kramer neck. Tuning: Standard (EADGBE).
2. Early 80's Fender American Standard Telecaster - Completely stock, except for various pictures on it and scratches/chips from smashing a TV with it at the 2000 Video Music Awards. Tuning: Drop D (DADGBE).

Well I was close anyway

I've never seen him use the tele anyway, he's always using "arm the homeless", that being said I never paid much attention to him at all in the first place.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.