i recently bought some grado sr80s and a little portable cmoy amp today. quickly today, running my mp3 and headphone amp my physics teacher had a go to see how loud they could output, just for a couple of seconds, maybe 10-20. is it possible to damage them doing something like this ? i might just be feeling paranoid, but listening to botch now i get the feeling they sound muddier
^^your a dick for sigging that. hahaha. and yes it can damage your headphones. happened to me with cheap ones
(signature removed, please choose another)
Yeah, it can hurt them. And if you blow your speaker it's probably the worst thing you can break on your headphones. Most anything else can be fixed with either some duct tape or a soldering iron. Blowing a speaker sucks ass.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
damm, im still listening now. i think i might just be being paranoid and the odd artifact i think im hearing is just normal noise of a distored guitar. clean stuff certainly sounds fine. i think the drivers in these are so big they're probs fine, im gonna have to keep listening, or maybe wait on it for a bit. ive been blasting my ears all day and ive been told that tempoarily alters your perception of high frequencies and they seem louder
Exceed its range, you can break them... that's generally how everything works.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
the way round this of course is to buy good quality headphones.
I used to always blow the right ear of my headphones, so I bought some quite expensive headphones. Theyve outlived every other pair of headphones ive ever owned, and the way i see it, during the time theyve been functioning I wouldve spent more money on cheap headphones.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AX120
'94 Gibson Les Paul Standard

Effects:
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Digitech RP50
Line 6 DL-4

Amp:
Marshall MG100HDFX
I bought some $20 Sony earphones, and they are REALLY LOUD. Like, little mini speakers, everyone in the room can hear them, but only on full volume. I turn mine up full blast ALL the time so everyone can hear, and nothing has happened. Not a tiny little drop in quality, and I've been doing this for about 3 school terms. Best headphones ever.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Feb 28, 2008,
You'll overheat the voice coils and do permanent damage to them when you exceed their power rating. Not only that, you'll do permanent damage to your ears which are a LOT more important than seeing how loud headphones are.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by hethamulburton
Exceed its range, you can break them... that's generally how everything works.

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by hippytom
the way round this of course is to buy good quality headphones.
I used to always blow the right ear of my headphones, so I bought some quite expensive headphones. Theyve outlived every other pair of headphones ive ever owned, and the way i see it, during the time theyve been functioning I wouldve spent more money on cheap headphones.

hahahahaha

you realise that sr80s are good headphones, don't you?
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.